This forum is in read-only mode for archive purposes, please use our new forum at https://community.justflight.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Just Flight Products > F27 Friendship
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Have I bought another Hanger Queen?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Check-In Staff
Check-In Staff

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oldJ3pilot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Have I bought another Hanger Queen?
    Posted: 11 Jun 2015 at 7:53pm
I purchased this plane on 30th of April and have been able to complete no more than 10 flights. It is a beauyiful plane. I like everything about the design, liveries, layout, etc. It is a dream right out of the '50s.
BUT... and it is a big but: The right engine will NOT stabilize after start. It runs right int the red and throttle has absolutely no effect on it.  The start checklist is followed precisely but the engine rarely functions properly.
I have tried different procedures: starting with fuel lockout, ignition sequence reversed, etc. None of these work either.

I have read, and reread the previous thread I started and tried the procedures outlined there. Still no luck and I refuse to use "shift+E"....no realism there.
My real life flying experience is limited to recips (about 1500 hrs civ and mil) but surely a turbo shouldn't be so hard to model.
Please,  you folks at Just Flight, tell me how to fix this. It is a dream plane, with all the "old" instruments I was accustomed to in the 50's and 60's. Really want to spend time flying this machine
 (I have spent the last hour hoping to go KLAS to KLAX but #2 won't cooperate)
Thanks to anyone who can shed some light.
Neal Howard

Scotty View Drop Down
Just Flight Staff
Just Flight Staff

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Scotty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jun 2015 at 8:45pm
As detailed in the tutorial in the manual please ensure the engine igniters are OFF before you start the engine start sequence, then ensure that you follow the sequence to the letter. Please ensure that you are using the tutorial flight to see this working correctly.
Scotty

Just Flight Ltd.
snave View Drop Down
First Officer
First Officer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote snave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jun 2015 at 9:29pm
Sounds like a corrupted default flight. Have you actually created a new flight specifically for the F-27?

You should. What you describe are the classic symptoms of a flight that has carried over settings from another.
oldJ3pilot View Drop Down
Check-In Staff
Check-In Staff

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oldJ3pilot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jun 2015 at 11:43am
I will give it another try later, but in response: I have followed the procedures straight from the manual. The F-27 is loaded after the default Friday Island Ultra-light (which is always the first flight loaded).
 snave...Should I load the F-27 first to create a default F-27 flight??

It still does not seem logical that the port engine ALWAYS starts properly while the starboard one hardly ever does.
Really would like to get some flights now that the Piedmont livery is installed.
Regards
Neal H
Scotty View Drop Down
Just Flight Staff
Just Flight Staff

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Scotty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jun 2015 at 11:49am
Does this happen if you use the supplied tutorial flight? BTW what's a "Hanger Queen"?

Scotty

Just Flight Ltd.
Check-In Staff
Check-In Staff

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oldJ3pilot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jun 2015 at 11:52am
I will redo the tutorial in a couple of hours and report back.
Absolutely no thrill like flying.....Until the engine stops
gyps View Drop Down
Check-In Staff
Check-In Staff

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gyps Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jun 2015 at 5:24pm
Try this I had the same issue after start up

try pull the yellow levers back slowly till the blue light above just goes out do this for both then continue star as normal cured it for me and it starts up perfect every time if I do that

please post if it worked or not
Check-In Staff
Check-In Staff

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oldJ3pilot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jun 2015 at 4:51pm
I had only enough time to run through three trials: After other airplanes loaded, loaded first after default flight, and several repeat C/D.
 If the fuel cock is left in the fully opened position then the start fails. Following gyps lead if the cock is just barely open (only a fractional movement turns it on) then the start is normal. Left engine doesn't seem to care: it starts okay even if the sequence is out of order.
Thanks gyps.
Scotty View Drop Down
Just Flight Staff
Just Flight Staff

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Scotty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jun 2015 at 5:01pm
The manual quotes: "Moving down to the centre pedestal, both HPC levers can be placed in the OPEN position. Use the tool-tips to confirm that they are in the correct position" and the picture for that text shows the HPC levers barely fwd of the position marked "OPEN". Further in the manual it says "Make sure that the No. 2 HPC lever is in the OPEN position and then move the master start switch to the START (up) position. The right engine will begin to spool up, indicated by an increase in RPM and TGT. Push the No. 2 HPC lever forward to the LOCK OUT position. The blue FLIGHT FINE light should illuminate."

There is no "fully opened" position. the HPC cocks are either open or closed. Moving them fully forward moves them to the "LOCK OUT" position. Doing that does not open the fuel cocks any more. If the tutorial is followed to the letter the engines will start without drama.
Scotty

Just Flight Ltd.
Check-In Staff
Check-In Staff

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oldJ3pilot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jun 2015 at 7:31pm
Scotty; My use of fully was misleading. What I should have said is that there is quite a range of motion between the "closed", "open", and "lockout" positions when I move the levers. "Open" covers  a range of several inches. If I start the starboard engine with the lever at the bottom of that range (when it goes from closed to open) then the start fails. If I move the lever to the point just before the blue light comes on then the start works.
Be assured, I always follow procedures as per the manual.   Perhaps this problem is a glitch related to my mouse.
gyps View Drop Down
Check-In Staff
Check-In Staff

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gyps Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jun 2015 at 4:43pm
don't think it mouse as such

think its more that by the time the lever reads as open you've gone to far and any start up results in engine running at max

least that's what I found glad that use the lights tip worked
Melvin View Drop Down
Ground Crew
Ground Crew

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Melvin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jun 2015 at 5:52am
Originally posted by oldJ3pilot oldJ3pilot wrote:

Scotty,

A Hanger queen is an aircraft that is destined to spend it's time adorning the space of a hanger rather than flying because it has reached it's service life and is part of an exhibit, or does not fly because spare parts cannot be found to repair it, or it is not flown because it is dangerous to fly, or isn't flown because of it's nature and handling characteristics, no one wants to fly it.

-steve
Crankpin View Drop Down
Ground Crew
Ground Crew

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Crankpin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jun 2015 at 6:38am
or like a number of my RC builds because I couldn't stand to crash them.  Cry
Melvin View Drop Down
Ground Crew
Ground Crew

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Melvin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jun 2015 at 7:03am
Originally posted by Crankpin Crankpin wrote:

or like a number of my RC builds because I couldn't stand to crash them.  Cry

I can relate to that  - I've got a 1/4 scale Mick Reeves Fournier RF4 kit build never flown for that very reason
Scotty View Drop Down
Just Flight Staff
Just Flight Staff

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Scotty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jun 2015 at 7:34am
Originally posted by Melvin Melvin wrote:

Scotty,

A Hanger queen is an aircraft that is destined to spend it's time adorning the space of a hanger rather than flying because it has reached it's service life and is part of an exhibit, or does not fly because spare parts cannot be found to repair it, or it is not flown because it is dangerous to fly, or isn't flown because of it's nature and handling characteristics, no one wants to fly it.

-steve

And so what is the answer to the title of your thread?

Scotty

Just Flight Ltd.
snave View Drop Down
First Officer
First Officer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote snave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jun 2015 at 8:28am
Guess that depends on the suitability and availability of the Service Pack, Scotty. Smile

Any news?
Scotty View Drop Down
Just Flight Staff
Just Flight Staff

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Scotty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jun 2015 at 9:30am
Originally posted by snave snave wrote:

Guess that depends on the suitability and availability of the Service Pack, Scotty. Smile

Any news?

I am sure that the service pack will bring its own share of comments.
Scotty

Just Flight Ltd.
Check-In Staff
Check-In Staff

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oldJ3pilot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jun 2015 at 2:25pm
Sorry, I did not intend to upset anyone, especially you Scotty. I had a problem that was preventing me from using this airplane, thus the use of "hangar queen".  It is a very nice craft or I would have just tossed it and moved back to one of my other favorites.
 You developers work hard to produce thes birds and I never intentionally criticize you products. However, when things sometimes do not work as expected I DO ask for help. As a real pilot here in the US, the term hangar queen describes simply a plane that sits in the hangar because "something" keeps it from flying. My request was for help in removing the hangar queen label.

I stated in my original post that : 
"The start checklist is followed precisely but the engine rarely functions properly.

I have read, and reread the previous thread I started and tried the procedures outlined there."
The referenced  previous thread was also addressing this start problem.

gyps seems to be the only respondent that recognized just what my problem was and solved it for me.

Thanks to him I no longer have a Hangar Queen.

gyps View Drop Down
Check-In Staff
Check-In Staff

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gyps Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jun 2015 at 5:53pm
Good glad it worked for you as well as me

was in the same boat every time I started had one engine running maxed out

it nice to fly when you get it going right

Scotty View Drop Down
Just Flight Staff
Just Flight Staff

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Scotty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jun 2015 at 6:45pm

Sorry, I did not intend to upset anyone, especially you Scotty. I had a problem that was preventing me from using this airplane, thus the use of "hangar queen".  It is a very nice craft or I would have just tossed it and moved back to one of my other favorites.
 You developers work hard to produce thes birds and I never intentionally criticize you products. However, when things sometimes do not work as expected I DO ask for help. As a real pilot here in the US, the term hangar queen describes simply a plane that sits in the hangar because "something" keeps it from flying. My request was for help in removing the hangar queen label.

I stated in my original post that : 
"The start checklist is followed precisely but the engine rarely functions properly.

I have read, and reread the previous thread I started and tried the procedures outlined there."
The referenced  previous thread was also addressing this start problem.

gyps seems to be the only respondent that recognized just what my problem was and solved it for me.

Thanks to him I no longer have a Hangar Queen.

Thank you for your positive comments. Appreciated.
Scotty

Just Flight Ltd.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic