This forum is in read-only mode for archive purposes, please use our new forum at https://community.justflight.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Just Flight Products > F27 Friendship
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Altimeter setting

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Check-In Staff
Check-In Staff

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote voltigeurramon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Altimeter setting
    Posted: 07 May 2015 at 6:05pm
Hi,

I bought the F27 recently and so far I like it a lot! I have only a few questions. I figured that the altimeter setting is in millibars, but how do I know what settings is selected? I just can't figure it out. Is it also possible to change it to inhg? And is it possible to do shared flights? Some friends have the F27 and we would like to do shared flights, if possible. Thanks for any help in advance!

Ramon
MoPlanes View Drop Down
Check-In Staff
Check-In Staff

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MoPlanes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 May 2015 at 9:14pm
The pressure indicators depend on what settings you have in the simulator itself. Go to options and then general, and you should find the relevant settings there (i.e choose between milibars or inches).
voltigeurramon View Drop Down
Check-In Staff
Check-In Staff

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote voltigeurramon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 May 2015 at 9:48pm
I have inches selected. Is this for each aircraft different, like that the us based aircraft have the inches and the others have millibars?
MoPlanes View Drop Down
Check-In Staff
Check-In Staff

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MoPlanes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 May 2015 at 10:38pm
No, it is a general setting equal for all aircraft unless the addon has a altimiter modeled that can switch between the two settings.
US uses inches where the default standard pressure is 29.92 and europe uses milibars where standard pressure is 1013. Just to illustrate the difference in readouts between the two.

So generally speaking you set the option based on where you fly and what type of system you are familiar with. It is a personal option. If you set it to US system, all pressure readouts like ATIS etc will make their reports based on the simulator setting.

Check-In Staff
Check-In Staff

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote voltigeurramon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 May 2015 at 10:28am
I know the difference between inches of mercury and millibars. Like I said already, I ckecked my settings and that's fully in the US system (feet and inches). Based on what you're saying I should get the inhg, but I get the  mb. That's not a huge problem, since there are a trillion conversion tables and calculators on the internet. The only thing I'm struggling with now is to get the altimeter setting right. With what line do I have to line up the right dot? I just can't figure that out. I mainly fly online at Boston Virtual ATC (similar to VATSIM), and they make their own ATIS reports. So for me the settings don't matter for the ATIS.

Ramon
Check-In Staff
Check-In Staff

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote voltigeurramon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 May 2015 at 10:30am
I also tried the shared cockpit and everything seemed to be working fine.
MoPlanes View Drop Down
Check-In Staff
Check-In Staff

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MoPlanes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 May 2015 at 2:32pm
My apologies, but since there was little for me to go by in terms of what people know and what they dont know, I made a pretty "round" answer to hopefuly cover all aspects while making it as short as possible.
I just tested it myself and can confirm that it didn't change the readable scale in the aircraft, but there is a way around it. If you turn on "show cockpit tooltips" you will get a small pop-up readout showing inches which when you have your mouse over the altimeter adjustment knob.

TBH, I've been using it all the time myself as it is easier to set the altimeter this way instead of having to zoom in on the instrument itself in order to see the values

The "show cockpit tooltips" is also found in options/general.

Check-In Staff
Check-In Staff

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote voltigeurramon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 May 2015 at 8:19pm
Not a problem, someone else might learn something new. I have the tooltips on, but I never noticed that pop up. Maybe I should be more patient next time and wait a little longer.
snave View Drop Down
First Officer
First Officer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote snave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 May 2015 at 9:36am
Originally posted by voltigeurramon voltigeurramon wrote:

I know the difference between inches of mercury and millibars. Like I said already, I ckecked my settings and that's fully in the US system (feet and inches). Based on what you're saying I should get the inhg, but I get the  mb. That's not a huge problem, since there are a trillion conversion tables and calculators on the internet. The only thing I'm struggling with now is to get the altimeter setting right. With what line do I have to line up the right dot? I just can't figure that out. I mainly fly online at Boston Virtual ATC (similar to VATSIM), and they make their own ATIS reports. So for me the settings don't matter for the ATIS.

Ramon

Easy to train yourself - press `B` key to set current according to ATIS in-sim, then see the scale for location. 

Although I fiddle with knobs in real aircraft I only ever use the auto setting key in the sim. 
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic