This forum is in read-only mode for archive purposes, please use our new forum at https://community.justflight.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Just Chat > Just Chat - General Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

FSX Steam Edition vs Boxed versions?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aniceguy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: FSX Steam Edition vs Boxed versions?
    Posted: 27 Mar 2015 at 11:00am
Hi all,

What are the differences between the boxed deluxe/gold edition compared with this steam edition?

Just it's on offer on steam for only £3.99 and I'm contemplating getting it but need to know if it is worth getting either the boxed version instead due to the features.
Visit http://fsprojects.netau.net for my flight sim and train sim web sites :)
wain View Drop Down
P1
P1

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wain Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Mar 2015 at 3:37pm
To me there is really no difference, if you have a boxed version with your addons running nice then stick with it.

If like me you have a damaged disc then compared to what disc versions are being sold for Steam is a bargain.

I had disc since it came out, I have Steam since Christmas when it was on a sale, I run FTX Global, Vector, LC_EU, ASN, REX, AH, Traffic 360 and loads of GA by Caranado, Realair, Alabeo and Aerosoft with no issues and approx same fps as disc version was, however I get no CTD's since changing to Steam.

Just my experiences but like I said if you have a disc version then unless you want it as a back up you wont see any changes...
Wayne
aniceguy View Drop Down
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aniceguy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Mar 2015 at 3:39pm
CTD's?

Sorry I don't have FSX currently. I never upgraded as spent a fortune on addons and didn't fancy paying loads more for newer addons for FSX when majority of them still worked on FS2004.
wain View Drop Down
P1
P1

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wain Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Mar 2015 at 7:13pm
CTD. Crash to desktop...
MarkH View Drop Down
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MarkH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Mar 2015 at 7:30pm
Hello Aniceguy, I don't have an answer for you, but it's nice to see you around these parts again.  Don't be a stranger. Smile

M.
aniceguy View Drop Down
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aniceguy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Mar 2015 at 10:10pm
Sounds like it is worth buying at that price then! Will have to see if it is any good.

Does FSX support multicore and multi-gpu's?

ps: Thanks for the warm welcome back ... I think I heard some fanfare tune going off lol
hifly View Drop Down
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hifly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Mar 2015 at 11:30pm
Originally posted by MarkH MarkH wrote:

Hello Aniceguy, I don't have an answer for you, but it's nice to see you around these parts again.  Don't be a stranger. Smile

M.

Cor blimey Mark, talk about pot calling the kettle black, 'don't be a stranger.' Apart from a couple of posts about the Cauldron Hollider thingummy that is way over my head we've heard diddly squat from you lately. What's going on in your petri dish? Is there the possibility of life on a Higgs Boson? Read any good books lately?

Must Fly!
MartinW View Drop Down
Moderator in Command
Moderator in Command

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MartinW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Mar 2015 at 2:08pm
Originally posted by aniceguy aniceguy wrote:

Sounds like it is worth buying at that price then! Will have to see if it is any good.

Does FSX support multicore and multi-gpu's?

ps: Thanks for the warm welcome back ... I think I heard some fanfare tune going off lol

Hi Pete. After the service packs, FSX does offer some multicore support.

As for SLI or crossfire, it was always said that it offered little benefit except at high res. However, given that we are now using higher resolutions as standard, and we are using advanced weather engines and scenery, some say there is a benefit. Precisely how much I'm not sure.

If you dive into FSX, I would recommend the BP=0 tweak. Aslong as you have greater than 1 gig video ram it offers benefit.

[BUFFERPOOLS]
Poolsize=0

Great tweaking artcle here...

https://kostasfsworld.wordpress.com/fsx-software-and-hardware-guide/

But don't go mad. All I use is HIGHMEMFIX and BP=0.

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic