This forum is in read-only mode for archive purposes, please use our new forum at https://community.justflight.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Just Flight Products > Traffic 360
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

AI Beavers

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Check-In Staff
Check-In Staff

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pwilcox1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: AI Beavers
    Posted: 19 Mar 2015 at 9:46am
I found one post relating to this topic but didn't see a resolution.

I have several instances at various airports where a Beaver is sitting on a hard runway.

Is there a way to remove them or change the type of aircraft?
RayM View Drop Down
First Officer
First Officer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RayM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Mar 2015 at 5:31pm
Originally posted by pwilcox1 pwilcox1 wrote:

I found one post relating to this topic but didn't see a resolution.

I have several instances at various airports where a Beaver is sitting on a hard runway.

Is there a way to remove them or change the type of aircraft?

Technically, you need to go thru all of the schedules and change the aircraft type to stop FLOAT aircraft landing on a HARD runway and getting stuck because they are unable to taxi (as they do not have wheels)!.

BUT, if you don't use the Beavers as float planes, you could always convert them to 'wheeled' aircraft by a subtle change to the 'aircraft.cfg' file. Then they will taxi around like normal aircraft even if they do look strange 'taxying' on floats!

I have converted my FSX Beavers in this way whilst getting the Aerosoft Beavers for actual flying on water and land.
A long time FSXA and Traffic X user
Pathfinder1` View Drop Down
P/UT
P/UT

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pathfinder1` Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Mar 2015 at 6:09am
What I would do not knowing a lot about cfg files,
is click on computer, then the drive that has MSF on it, then click on MSF, go down the list to Sim Objects, click on Airplanes, then go down the list and you should find Beaver, I then delete that entry, RayM would most likely not approve of my way, but it seems to work for me.
pwilcox1 View Drop Down
Check-In Staff
Check-In Staff

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pwilcox1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Mar 2015 at 1:33pm
What I have done so far is use the AI Flight Planner program to substitute or replace the Beavers with another aircraft and then recompile the .bgl.

I don't know yet if this has been successful to any degree yet.

Thanks for the replies though. Although I find the User Interface with Traffic 360 hard to understand the program itself seems to get the job done.
RayM View Drop Down
First Officer
First Officer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RayM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Mar 2015 at 1:55pm

What I have done so far is use the AI Flight Planner program to substitute or replace the Beavers with another aircraft and then recompile the .bgl.

So, have you used AIFPC to decompile the T360 BGL, replaced all of the Beavers with another aircraft, and re-compiled?

Will you do this any time that you create a new T360 VFR BGL?

Not really a permanent solution but OK if you are happy to do this.

// next X lines changed to simulate "wheels" at contact points
point.0 = 1,   0.00, 4.80, -7.60, 2200, 0, 0.1, 50.0, 0.5, 2.5, 0.390, 0.0, 0.0, 3, 0, 0
point.1 = 1,   0.00, -4.80, -7.60, 2200, 0, 0.1, 50.0, 0.5, 2.5, 0.390, 0.0, 0.0, 2, 0, 0
........ etc.

Now that does make a permanent difference!
freddy View Drop Down
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote freddy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Mar 2015 at 11:03pm
Why not just do it the easy way ...

... use the Traffic 360 interface.

I'm using Traffic X, but I'd be confident that Traffic 360 would work in the same or similar way. Use the TRAFFIC GENERATOR screen to check or uncheck (tick or untick) the planes that you want in the skies and at your airports versus the planes you do not want in the skies and at your airports. Therefore, you simply uncheck (untick) the Beaver, and any other planes (or helicopters) that you don't want. With Traffic X, you then right-click on the list and a sub-menu appears. One of the options on that sub-menu is GENERATE TRAFFIC. Choose that, and, voila, no Beavers. (Hmmm, I haven't done this in a while, so I cannot recall if you subsequently need to a COMPILE after that. But it wouldn't hurt to do one anyway, just in case.)
RayM View Drop Down
First Officer
First Officer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RayM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Mar 2015 at 9:47am
Freddy, yours is the 'logical' way to do it but, Beavers probably exist in all of the 'country-specific VFR schedules', of which there are many (something over 150 I think). So you would have to 'Generate Traffic' for each of these schedules in the way you suggest and then re-compile before seeing the result of all of the work. And you have now 'lost the sight' of all of these lovely Beavers pottering about the skies. OK I admit that you see a lot of them at altitudes that would freeze their pilots hands off but at least they are around.
Modifying the 'aircraft.cfg' is a one-off change that solves the whole situation across the board. If anyone wants to try this, I can give full instructions on how to do it, including how to undo it as well.
pwilcox1 View Drop Down
Check-In Staff
Check-In Staff

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pwilcox1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Mar 2015 at 5:59pm
Well I got some errors when I recompiled with AI Planner and after going back to one of the airports in question the Beaver was still there.

I'll give the Traffic interface a try but I find it very difficult to understand.

Also noticed some Air Creation trikes flying at over 17,000 ft.
RayM View Drop Down
First Officer
First Officer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RayM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Mar 2015 at 7:17am

Also noticed some Air Creation trikes flying at over 17,000 ft.

More frozen pilots, eh.

The Traffic X / 360 "Max Altitude" setting does not do the job one assumes it is there for i.e. limiting the maximum altitude that any AI aircraft should fly at!
freddy View Drop Down
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote freddy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Mar 2015 at 10:28pm
Originally posted by RayM RayM wrote:

Freddy, yours is the 'logical' way to do it but, Beavers probably exist in all of the 'country-specific VFR schedules', of which there are many (something over 150 I think). So you would have to 'Generate Traffic' for each of these schedules in the way you suggest and then re-compile before seeing the result of all of the work.

The GENERATE TRAFFIC button generates VFR traffic for the entire planet, doing all of the countries. In fact, it is this button that CREATES those "country specific" files, erasing the existing ones and then creating completely new ones, all based on your chosen check box (tick box) options. In other words, no, to there's no need for you to individually do each "country-specific" file. So, this is a great way to remove Beavers ... and trikes ... and gliders (these are like Beavers and can't move) ... and helicopters (that do that silly unrealistic TAXI thing).

And, yes, confirming you do need to do a compile after doing this so that the newly created "country specific" schedules get compiled in to the AI .BGL file.

Originally posted by RayM RayM wrote:

And you have now 'lost the sight' of all of these lovely Beavers pottering about the skies. OK I admit that you see a lot of them at altitudes that would freeze their pilots hands off but at least they are around.

Sadly, yes, you are correct, with my method of unchecking (unticking) that box, you would lose all the Beavers (and trikes and gliders and helicopters). None will be flying in your skies. *

=================================================================

* For helicopters, you absolutely positively MUST have this program: Heli Traffic 2009. Helicopters take off and land like real helicopters - instead of taxiing unrealistically like airplanes ala Traffic X and Traffic 360. And, with this program, you can add and remove helicopters as well as create custom helicopter landing pads at your airports and anywhere else in your scenery (ie, landing pads in the mountains, landing pads in the cities, landing pads in parks, etc etc). And, the best thing, the AI helicopters will all use these pads without you needing to do anything special. You might have removed the helicopters from your AI traffic .BGL file, as per the above, but, because Heli Traffic 2009 runs as a separate program within Flight Simulator, it will use any AI helicopters that it finds in your hangar to populate the skies, and they will just randomly fly to and from the helipads. If you want to go one step further, it also lets you set custom flight paths for helicopters to and from specific helipads. It's simply one of the best add-ons you can have. This add-on is highly recommended. To this day it remains probably the single best add-on I have ever purchased for Flight Sim. And I don't need to do anything. It is merely set-and-forget. Run FSX, and it automatically runs too, populating my skies with helicopters, all taking off and landing realistically at the existing helipads already in Flight Simulator, and also at all the custom helipads that I have created. It's awesome!

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic