This forum is in read-only mode for archive purposes, please use our new forum at https://community.justflight.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Just Flight Products > General Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

scenery.cfg

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Check-In Staff
Check-In Staff

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mauricem Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: scenery.cfg
    Posted: 05 Feb 2015 at 7:38am
Does anybody know how to fix this?
mauricem View Drop Down
Check-In Staff
Check-In Staff

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mauricem Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Feb 2015 at 7:47am
Sorry I screwed up.
The proplem is wenever I start up FSX I get a popup message that says

"SCENERY.CFG file error . Invalid Remote scenery
path in scenery Area.120. Click OK to continue."

Thanks
allardjd View Drop Down
Moderator in Command
Moderator in Command

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote allardjd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Feb 2015 at 7:55am
I moved your thread to the General Discussion forum.  You posted in the MS Flight forum and aren't going to get much traffic there.  In answer to your original question - NOBODY knows how to fix MS Flight - it was broken at birth and abandoned soon after...

You probably need to find your FSX scenery.cfg and manually edit out area 120, but I'm not an expert.  It might be best to wait for someone who actually knows what he's talking about. 

Scenery.cfg is just a text file and examining entry 120 with Notepad or another text editor might give a clue to what the problem is.
John Allard
Rich View Drop Down
Just Flight Staff
Just Flight Staff

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rich Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Feb 2015 at 9:47am
Yep, do what John suggests and it should fix the problem. 
RayM View Drop Down
First Officer
First Officer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RayM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Feb 2015 at 10:17am
In case you are not sure where the problem can be discovered - the file you want to look at is "scenery.cfg" that is stored (probably) in the location on your system -
C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\FSX\scenery.cfg .

Do not look at any other file of the same name that exists in any other folder (for some reason FSX puts a file of this name in several places).

I suggest that you make a copy of this file then open the copy using 'Notepad' or similar. If you scroll down, you will see an entry similar to -

[Area.120]
Title=Edwards_AFB
Local=Scenery\Cities\Edwards_AFB
Layer=119
Active=TRUE
Required=FALSE

Your lines after "[Area.120]" will probably be different to the above. Have you moved, renamed or deleted the scenery item described in your lines 2 & 3? I suspect something like this may have happened?
A long time FSXA and Traffic X user
CaptainIFLY View Drop Down
First Officer
First Officer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CaptainIFLY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Feb 2015 at 7:34pm
From Captain I~Fly

as somebody who has injected over 350 Add On sceneries and over 4,775 Aircraft into my FSX Gold / Acceleration edition

I can tell you why your getting that "POP UP" on your scenery

is because at 1 time either YOU or maybe an Anti Virus program has deleted a File directly from Windows, meaning that the "Folder/ Files" were Deleted ,*** without 1st *** going into the Flight Simulator Scenery Menu and unticking & Deleteing the Scenery within the Simulator 1st in its "Directory" !!!!

Then after Deleting the Scenery from the Flight Simulator Base within Flight Simulator itself - - *** Then the actual scenery Folders & Files can be Deleted from the Flight Simulator Add On Scenery Main Folder(s) !

Generally Failure to do this will most Generally result in Flight Simulator kicking back to the user an "ERROR CODE" POP UP screen, something like :

Scenery in area 101 or 156 not found

that's because of the way Flight Simulator has it listed in its "DIRECTORY" when it was installed or installed & injected by the user, like as in Add On Scenery.

Always go to the Flight Simulator Directory 1st in the scenery area and untick the checkmark and DELETE the Scenery area you don't want *** 1st ***,,,,, before just "Deleting" any "Scenery Folders / Files"

other wize , you'll get all kinds of annoying Pop Ups and you'll get frustrated and end up having to reload your sim and lose a lotta work you may have in your flying machine !

So - Delete from within the simulator Directoy 1st

then go and Delete the Scenery Folders / Files your not wanting lastly !

Trust me it took 2 years for me to figure that out and get it theu my Thick head and now whenever I do it, I have NO Problems at all, yanking Scenery in & out of FSX and I do it a lot, like really a lot as I test out scenery for my FSX.

Hope that helps ???

Captain I Fly / Jetranger
RayM View Drop Down
First Officer
First Officer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RayM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Feb 2015 at 8:23am
Captain,
whilst everything you say has some validity - even though you have not put it as clearly as it might have been, the problem to be answered is how can our friend 'mauricem' resolve the situation once your are there!

I suggest carrying out my previous suggestion to see which scenery has been moved/deleted from the file system and then going into the FSX Scenery Library and removing that scenery item (either remove or disable). This should remove the error message. Then he can sort out why the problem occurred and take appropriate steps.
Pathfinder1` View Drop Down
P/UT
P/UT

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pathfinder1` Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Feb 2015 at 5:16pm
I would use the FSX disk and do a repair.
RayM View Drop Down
First Officer
First Officer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RayM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Feb 2015 at 11:16am
Originally posted by Pathfinder1` Pathfinder1` wrote:

I would use the FSX disk and do a repair.

Not sure what this would do though - would this just replace the 'scenery.cfg' with the 'default' FSX version? You would then have to go into the Scenery Library to re-instate any of the previously added scenery locations - remembering that as well as any 'Addon Scenery' items, you would have to add the Traffic 360 scenery location.
birdmanmike View Drop Down
Check-In Staff
Check-In Staff

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote birdmanmike Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Feb 2015 at 8:08pm
Indeed as Ray says, check the entry in the scenery.cfg for that scenery area - as said it will probably point to a scenery incorrectly or one that is deleted. Edit it there with Notepad, or back in FSX scenery library edit.
The whole thing is a lot easier if you use the excellent SceneryConfigEditor available from lots of FS sites also sourceforge, softpedia etc- just do a search. Make sure you read the manual, but basically it will load your scenery.cfg, highlight any error (AND WHY!)and make it a lot easier to fix.
First Officer
First Officer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CaptainIFLY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Feb 2015 at 6:32pm
Wonder if he ever got it fixed but here a photo tutorial kinda sorta to help better understand the procedure, so ya DON'T get annoying POP UP Scenery errors.

Example : Error in Scenery 120 or whatever,,,,,

Go to the ADD ON Scenery Menu

1st untick the Check Box of Airport or Scenery NOT wanted.

2nd - click the Delete Button

3rd - go to your actual Add On Scenery Folder section, and find Airport / Scenery you don't want and then Delete the Folder or maybe Folders .

Failure to do it this way most generally the user will get annoying Scenery Pop Up Errors

Example : Scenery in area 125 Not Found

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]
First Officer
First Officer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CaptainIFLY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Feb 2015 at 6:48pm
as to what Scenery he lost ???

Who knows everybodys Simulator is set up Different than someone elses.

But if he's added a lotta Add On sceneries, just re-installing the Disks for Repair may wipe out his Add On Sceneries that he may have downloaded from web sites and installed.

Best thing to do is Back up those files and then try re-installing the Disks so that area 101 is back in place.

then go and swap back over any Add On Sceneries he had previously.

and go thru the whole re-install process again for each downloaded scenery he had previously to the screw up.

I have no idea what scenery 101 is, mines now different than what it was originally.

I've got over 350 add on airports & scenerys and just over 4,775 Aircraft.

All my Airports are organized by Airport IACO Codes 1st in the title.

Let us know what you found out and what you did to fix it tho !!

we all be interested in knowing :):) !!
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic