This forum is in read-only mode for archive purposes, please use our new forum at https://community.justflight.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Just Chat > Hardware
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

DirectX 10

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Ground Crew
Ground Crew

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Milehigh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: DirectX 10
    Posted: 08 Apr 2008 at 8:14pm
Hi all. I have just bought a new GPU, 9800GTX, that supports DirectX 10 but when I came around to install the drivers It asked me if I wanted to install DirectX 9. Anyone know why?

Anthony 
Martyn View Drop Down
Just Flight Staff
Just Flight Staff
Development Manager

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Martyn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Apr 2008 at 8:31pm
Are you using XP? DX10 is only available in Vista.

As for purchasing a 9800GTX...you lucky git! What other components do you have, e.g. Processor
Martyn
Just Flight Ltd
MartinW View Drop Down
Moderator in Command
Moderator in Command

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MartinW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Apr 2008 at 8:44pm
He's sending me one for christmas because he loves me! Heart
Milehigh View Drop Down
Ground Crew
Ground Crew

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Milehigh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Apr 2008 at 8:50pm
. martin you have been a massive help but a £200 quid crimbo prezzy is ott . .
seriously. It is no different to my old 7900GS. I was extremely disappointed when I bought it and installed it. Not only did I pay £211 for the card but I also needed a new power supply to run it so that cost me £73 and it hasn't made a bit of difference.

By the way I do run VISTA - 32bit.

Cheers

Anthony

Asus P5B MoBo
Intel C2D E6600 2.4Ghz
512 Nvidia 9800GTX
720W PSU
Windows Vista 32bit
windows XP

FSX | LvL D 767 | My Traffic X | Acceleration pack | FSBUILD | Radar Contact | PMGD 747 
MartinW View Drop Down
Moderator in Command
Moderator in Command

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MartinW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Apr 2008 at 8:52pm
Sleepy I did post the link from Custom PC that told you it wasn't up to much. Wacko

It looked something like this...

Quote This is interesting...

'This is by far one of the toughest cards that we have had to draw a conclusion on... The GeForce 9800 GTX is not faster across the board than the GeForce 8800 GTX that came out back in 2006 as the benchmarks showed. To many readers this may be a disappointment and we'd be lying if we said it doesn't bother us too.' (No score given)

Milehigh View Drop Down
Ground Crew
Ground Crew

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Milehigh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Apr 2008 at 8:57pm
Oh dear. I missed that.
What do you suggest put the 9800GTX on ebay or the old 7900GS? I was expecting stunning graphics.

Good job the girlfriend doesn't know .. 'By the way love, I spent 300 quid on the computer for no reason whatsoever' . 'Its ok. you Can not still see a benefit' .

I would get more for the 9800GTX on ebay. what do you think?

Anthony
Milehigh View Drop Down
Ground Crew
Ground Crew

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Milehigh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Apr 2008 at 9:01pm
Oh dear Confused
VulcanB2 View Drop Down
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VulcanB2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Apr 2008 at 9:17pm
Hmm... looks like you're heading the way of the Titanic.

Whilst they're saying the 9800GTX doesn't make much difference compared with the 8800GTX, I presume they actually bothered to look at the clock speeds and hardware capabilities?

Sometimes, clock speed does actually count for something, and if the 9800GTX has something in hardware the 8800GTX doesn't, then it has to be better, even if it isn't faster, unless nVidia produced a total lemon in which case they've got problems. If I was upgrading my graphics card now, I'd get the 9800GTX or 9800GX2.

Best regards,
Vulcan.
Milehigh View Drop Down
Ground Crew
Ground Crew

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Milehigh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Apr 2008 at 9:27pm
That is reassuring Tongue Can you shead some light on Dx 10?
Magic Man View Drop Down
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Magic Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Apr 2008 at 9:32pm
The main factor for the 9800GTX is the die shrink, i.e. less power, less heat, cheaper to produce. I'm sticking with my 8800GTX for the time being...Big%20smile
Milehigh View Drop Down
Ground Crew
Ground Crew

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Milehigh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Apr 2008 at 9:35pm

When I went to Scan computer I said I wanted the 8800GTX and he said why go for that. the 9800GTX is better then he waffled on.

MartinW View Drop Down
Moderator in Command
Moderator in Command

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MartinW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Apr 2008 at 9:05am
What do you suggest put the 9800GTX on ebay

If you're quick, you are entitled to send it back for a full refund under the distance selling regulations. It will have to look like you haven't messed with it though.
MartinW View Drop Down
Moderator in Command
Moderator in Command

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MartinW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Apr 2008 at 9:09am
Vulcan the reviews say it all. A slightly tweaked GeForce 8800 GTS 512MB.

Tom's Hardware (US): 'As was the case with the 9800 GX2, Nvidia gives the impression that it's resting on its laurels and giving us just enough to get by. The first question that arises is the legitimacy of this card, since it's only slightly different from preceding cards (the 8800 GTX and Ultra and the 8800 GTS 512 MB). Indeed, Nvidia has sunk a little deeper into the quicksand of the contradictions its launch of the GeForce 9 series got it into.' (No score given)

* Firing Squad: 'Unfortunately despite the new name, the 9800 GTX doesn’t break any new ground for NVIDIA when it comes to performance – the board is essentially a slightly tweaked GeForce 8800 GTS 512MB with the addition of 3-Way SLI support being its primary advantage.' (No score given)

Here's our review of the GeForce 9800 GTX: 'We’re not sure how the new 9800 GTX card merits its GeForce 9-series status – it looks like it should be a GeForce 8900 GTS at best.
Milehigh View Drop Down
Ground Crew
Ground Crew

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Milehigh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Apr 2008 at 6:50pm
As for sending it back, Martin. The box is slightly ripped. just got bigger from when I first got it. Quite flimsy packaging considering what was in it.
Timbo727 View Drop Down
P/UT
P/UT

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Timbo727 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Apr 2008 at 10:32pm
I have a 7900GS (with 3gb RAM and 850w PSU) and was thinking of upgrading to a top end GE Force 8 series.

Have no interest in FSX for at least 2-3 years and just want to run FS9 and all the eye candy at lightning speed.

I think its widely known, and has been covered here, that the graphics wont improve drastically, I just want to be able to taxi through Mega Airport Heathrow at more than 5-10 FPS!
Milehigh View Drop Down
Ground Crew
Ground Crew

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Milehigh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Apr 2008 at 4:40pm
Hey Tim

Listen don't bother getting a 8 series GPU. You won't get any better graphics than your old 9700GS. I used to have one of those (a few days ago now) and I went to buy a 8800GTX 768mb. When I got there, scan computers, he asked why go for that when A 9800GTX 512mb is the same price. He then waffled on about toms hardware and showing me the comparison so I ended up going for a 9800GTX I haven't noticed the slightest bit of improvement whatsoever. So if you are soley getting it for FS9 then I really wouldnt bother. Unless Vulcan or Martin has anything to say. I should have listened to them ..

Hope this helps.

Anthony
Timbo727 View Drop Down
P/UT
P/UT

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Timbo727 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Apr 2008 at 8:41pm
Thanks for the advice Anthony!

I have since read some tips on Mutley's Hanger Website  http://www.mutleyshangar.com/tips.htm  regarding the fs9.cfg file and will do that next.  Have defragged etc. and generally im getting 35-40 fps (set the limiter to 40) in normal conditions and when i am cruising at high altitude.

The only time it suffers is at Mega Airport Heathrow (5-10 fps, dont bother trying to land there .) obviously and all the freeware airports that I have downloaded from AVSIM.  Especially places like Atlanta and JFK (and flying over Manhattan) which are very heavy on traffic indeed.

Milehigh View Drop Down
Ground Crew
Ground Crew

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Milehigh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Apr 2008 at 9:06pm
Ill have a look at that. FSX has its advantages but it also requires a highly capable computer. Processor indeed. Martinw will tell you that. I have a C2D 2.4Ghz and over clocked it to 2.9 and it was still poor. I have took advice and reinstalled everything. still trying to find out if it has worked. I have a few add-ons to.

Anthony
Dambuster View Drop Down
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dambuster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Apr 2008 at 9:27pm
The 9800GTX makes a massive difference in SLI over the 8800GTX in the same mode... but that's for ultra high res AFAIK. What's the rubbishpiest is that they give it 512MB GDDR3 I say old chap thats a triffle strange... Was expecting at least 1GB GDDR4... no wonder it's so cheap. Don't think a single 9800GTX is much faster than a single 8800GTX...
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic