This forum is in read-only mode for archive purposes, please use our new forum at https://community.justflight.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Just Flight Products > L-1011 TriStar
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Tristar Professional Upgrade Installation Question
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Tristar Professional Upgrade Installation Question

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Check-In Staff
Check-In Staff

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote charliebravo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Tristar Professional Upgrade Installation Question
    Posted: 04 Dec 2014 at 5:26pm
hello,

I already have the Justflight L1011 installed within FSX along with the first of the payware re-paint packs.

I need to ask just a few questions before I set about installing the recently purchased L1011 Professional Upgrade.

I don't want to start the installation until I know how the installation is actually structured. 

Do I need to back up any part of my original Just Flight L1011 installation first, is this added to, or simply removed during the upgrade installation? 

Are the original repaints and any third party repaints I have installed protected during the installation?

Does the upgrade remove the INS system from the panel in favor of the new FMC, or is there still an option to fly with INS navigation?

I thank you for your help with these questions.

Reards
Martyn View Drop Down
Just Flight Staff
Just Flight Staff
Development Manager

Answer Answer
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Martyn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Dec 2014 at 10:57am
Apologies for the delayed response. As I'm sure you'll appreciate, the day after a product release is very busy and I've been working to address any issues that have been reported so far, as well as implementing new functionality that has been requested.

Replies:

Originally posted by charliebravo charliebravo wrote:

hello,

I already have the Justflight L1011 installed within FSX along with the first of the payware re-paint packs.

I need to ask just a few questions before I set about installing the recently purchased L1011 Professional Upgrade.

I don't want to start the installation until I know how the installation is actually structured. 

Do I need to back up any part of my original Just Flight L1011 installation first, is this added to, or simply removed during the upgrade installation? 

Are the original repaints and any third party repaints I have installed protected during the installation?

Does the upgrade remove the INS system from the panel in favor of the new FMC, or is there still an option to fly with INS navigation?

Reards

Although it shouldn't cause any problems, I would advise uninstalling the original Tristar before installing the Professional version. We have updated the installer to make this clearer.

No, third-party repaints aren't transferred to the Professional version automatically as it uses new aircraft folders etc.

Every livery has an INS and FMC variant, so you can still fly with the INS.

Originally posted by AndyUK AndyUK wrote:

Another serious issue which I can't resolve is that huge amounts of power are required, over 70% N1!, to get the aircraft to start moving on the ground. As a comparison the original version needed just over 40%.

Hi Andy,

I'll be in touch via your support ticket ASAP to investigate this issue. It is likely that I will need to involve the chap who produced the FDE, but you won't need to resort to using third-party modifications.

Originally posted by walter1158 walter1158 wrote:

I have installed yesterday the Professional- and i am very disappointed e.g. if you want to open the Door via Shift/E - the FSX Engine Autostart Sequence is running up... like the Strg/E!!

An updated version of the product will be available later today. It will resolve this issue as well as adding extra functionality (e.g. adding an option to hide the yokes).

Originally posted by sampa sampa wrote:

Hey, at least you guys can see it !!!

All I get from my installation is a few "floating" knobs on the VC and the wingtip lights. I would love to be at the point where I can complain about friction Thumbs Down

All-in-all this is a very poorly implemented upgrade to what was a pretty poor product to begin with. I had hoped that JF had turned a corner with the Canberra and Chipmunk, but this is going back to the old JF days.

TTFN

The issue you are encountering is caused by the copy protection system, but obviously it shouldn't be happening. If you haven't already done so please make sure to submit a support ticket and we'll get this fixed for you ASAP.

I obviously don't agree with your comments regarding the quality of the upgrade (and fortunately other customers don't seem to either), but you are of course entitled to your opinion. Once we get the security issue fixed for you and you can see the aircraft, if there are specific areas of the upgrade that you feel are lacking, please report them to the support team and we will do our best to address them.

Thanks
Martyn - Tristar Pro (and Canberra) dev
walter1158 View Drop Down
Check-In Staff
Check-In Staff

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote walter1158 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Dec 2014 at 5:50pm
Hello, ..

the Professional is probably a completely new Edition- so i suggest you delete the earlier 1011.
Your Repaints, if suitable for the Professional have to be integrated afterwards manually.
There are now different Models available, some with INS and some with the new FMC.

I have installed yesterday the Professional- and i am very disappointed e.g. if you want to open the Door via Shift/E - the FSX Engine Autostart Sequence is running up... like the Strg/E!!

Delivering such a Product is a unbounded cheek!!

Wrote to the Support, but got no response.

Regards
Walter

AndyUK View Drop Down
Ground Crew
Ground Crew

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AndyUK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Dec 2014 at 11:39pm

if you want to open the Door via Shift/E - the FSX Engine Autostart Sequence is running up...

It's not just me then! Another serious issue which I can't resolve is that huge amounts of power are required, over 70% N1!, to get the aircraft to start moving on the ground. As a comparison the original version needed just over 40%.

I've tried installing the upgrade over the top of the original and after uninstalling the original and it makes no difference to those issues.

I'll be contacting support tomorrow and I'll report back on any progress.

Andy L

P.S.

The taxy problem looks very much like it's down to dragging brakes which go on to overheat. I tried disconnecting my pedals which have toe brakes but it makes no difference and in any case taxying other aircraft, including the original JF TriStar, isn't a problem with them in use.
walter1158 View Drop Down
Check-In Staff
Check-In Staff

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote walter1158 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Dec 2014 at 1:25am
..You need the:
DynamicFriction.lua to put them into the Modules Folder, where FSUIPC is installed, that solves it!
sampa View Drop Down
Check-In Staff
Check-In Staff

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sampa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Dec 2014 at 10:08am

All I get from my installation is a few "floating" knobs on the VC and the wingtip lights. I would love to be at the point where I can complain about friction Thumbs Down

All-in-all this is a very poorly implemented upgrade to what was a pretty poor product to begin with. I had hoped that JF had turned a corner with the Canberra and Chipmunk, but this is going back to the old JF days.

TTFN
AndyUK View Drop Down
Ground Crew
Ground Crew

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AndyUK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Dec 2014 at 10:27am

..You need the:
DynamicFriction.lua to put them into the Modules Folder, where FSUIPC is installed, that solves it!

It's not a case of the ground friction needing adjustment in my case but the brakes apparently being 'seen' by the aircraft as applied when they shouldn't be.

In any case relying on third party, paid, software for a fix isn't acceptable.

Andy L
Martyn View Drop Down
Just Flight Staff
Just Flight Staff
Development Manager

Answer Answer
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Martyn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Dec 2014 at 10:57am
Apologies for the delayed response. As I'm sure you'll appreciate, the day after a product release is very busy and I've been working to address any issues that have been reported so far, as well as implementing new functionality that has been requested.

Replies:

Originally posted by charliebravo charliebravo wrote:

hello,

Reards

Although it shouldn't cause any problems, I would advise uninstalling the original Tristar before installing the Professional version. We have updated the installer to make this clearer.

No, third-party repaints aren't transferred to the Professional version automatically as it uses new aircraft folders etc.

Every livery has an INS and FMC variant, so you can still fly with the INS.

Another serious issue which I can't resolve is that huge amounts of power are required, over 70% N1!, to get the aircraft to start moving on the ground. As a comparison the original version needed just over 40%.

Hi Andy,

I'll be in touch via your support ticket ASAP to investigate this issue. It is likely that I will need to involve the chap who produced the FDE, but you won't need to resort to using third-party modifications.

An updated version of the product will be available later today. It will resolve this issue as well as adding extra functionality (e.g. adding an option to hide the yokes).

Originally posted by sampa sampa wrote:

All I get from my installation is a few "floating" knobs on the VC and the wingtip lights. I would love to be at the point where I can complain about friction Thumbs Down

TTFN

The issue you are encountering is caused by the copy protection system, but obviously it shouldn't be happening. If you haven't already done so please make sure to submit a support ticket and we'll get this fixed for you ASAP.

I obviously don't agree with your comments regarding the quality of the upgrade (and fortunately other customers don't seem to either), but you are of course entitled to your opinion. Once we get the security issue fixed for you and you can see the aircraft, if there are specific areas of the upgrade that you feel are lacking, please report them to the support team and we will do our best to address them.

Thanks
Martyn - Tristar Pro (and Canberra) dev
Martyn
Just Flight Ltd
sampa View Drop Down
Check-In Staff
Check-In Staff

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sampa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Dec 2014 at 11:32am
Martyn

I opened a ticket about my problem a couple of days ago, but I'm pleased to see that the root of the problem is understood.

My comments about the upgrade relate to how far I've been able to get with it, which ATM is absolutely nowhere. The documentation on how to go about the upgrade is unclear, and the end result is less than satisfactory, so I'm sure you can see why I can't classify the upgrade as a roaring success, for me, on my system.

I am hoping that once I get into the upgrade it will be up to the standard of the Canberra and Chipmunk, and, if it is, I will be a very happy camper. FSX needs a good Tristar, and if the description on the product page is anything to go by, this could be the one.

Thanks, and keep up the good work
Martyn View Drop Down
Just Flight Staff
Just Flight Staff
Development Manager

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Martyn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Dec 2014 at 1:26pm
A small update containing several fixes and improvements is now available - http://www.justflight.com/.../tristar-professional/43079cb

Update contents:
  • Fixed APU sound issue
  • Increased volume of ambient cockpit sounds
  • Added option to hide yokes (see FAQ for instructions)
  • Fixed duplicate aircraft issue that occurs if the original Tristar is still installed
  • Fixed door open command/engine autostart issue
  • Improvements to AFCS annunciations
  • Improvements to AFCS (autopilot) panel
  • Improvements to brake temperature system

Martyn
Just Flight Ltd
AndyUK View Drop Down
Ground Crew
Ground Crew

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AndyUK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Dec 2014 at 2:53pm

...I'll be contacting support tomorrow and I'll report back on any progress...

I can confirm that the new version fixes the Shift + E problem and somehow the brake overheat issue doesn't seem as severe now although going by JF's reply to my ticket and the fix list just posted I don't think anything has been changed by them that explains that!

Andy L
AndyUK View Drop Down
Ground Crew
Ground Crew

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AndyUK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Dec 2014 at 5:30pm
Just to follow up my previous messages, Just Flight Support have been very helpful this afternoon with my brake overheating problem and after running some tests with a modified gauge they sent me I think I've proved that the cause is my pedals after all. Even with no pressure on the toe brakes they're sending a very small input to FSX which is enough to cause an otherwise undetectable brake application which leads to overheating.

10/10 for support and thanks again.

Any tips on fixing my pedal issue gratefully received!

Andy L
Martyn View Drop Down
Just Flight Staff
Just Flight Staff
Development Manager

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Martyn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Dec 2014 at 7:37pm
Thanks for the assistance Andy. We'll modify the gauges to accommodate the fact that some set ups trigger a constant amount of minor braking. 
Martyn
Just Flight Ltd
Delta558 View Drop Down
First Officer
First Officer

Just Flight FDE Developer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Delta558 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Dec 2014 at 8:23pm
As I mentioned to Martyn earlier, I had an almost identical problem with my Saitek pedals and the FSLabs Concorde, having never had a problem with any other aircraft before. The solution for me was to remove the brake axes from FSUIPC, calibrate them purely within FSX and then play around with the sensitivity and the null zone (I think the latter was the main cause of the problem). Took a while, but I only had to do it the once and I've not had a problem since.

Paul.
AndyUK View Drop Down
Ground Crew
Ground Crew

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AndyUK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Dec 2014 at 9:19pm
Originally posted by Martyn Martyn wrote:

.... We'll modify the gauges to accommodate the fact that some set ups trigger a constant amount of minor braking. 

That would be great Martyn, in the meantime I'll have a look at what Paul suggested ref calibration, null zones etc, but having had a brief play in that area earlier I don't hold out a great deal of hope. I don't have a paid copy of FSUIPC so I'm already using a direct input to FSX for my yoke and pedals.

Andy L
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic