This forum is in read-only mode for archive purposes, please use our new forum at https://community.justflight.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Just Flight Products > DC-8 Jetliner Series 10 through 70
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Fuel system

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Check-In Staff
Check-In Staff

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote theophile Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Fuel system
    Posted: 07 Sep 2014 at 12:38pm
Hey fellow DC-8 enthousiasts,

As most of you,I always had a soft spot for the DC-8.So I was thrilled by JF's making one for us.
It was,and is the best one on the market,yet it is full of problems and inconsistencies.You sometimes wonder about the designers:the tutorial flight has a cruise altitude of 32500 ft?Where did these folks
get their NAV training?
  I purchased 10-40 and 50-70 series,well realising their flaws.I soon found out a number of systems are
dummies:pneumatic crossfeed,low pressure pneumatic system,recirc fans,freon compressors.The Aux hydraulic pump never performs as should,it does not seem to give any pressure.The pressurisation system seems to give us a cabin pressure related to the altitude,but only automatically,no manual interference.Also the cabin ROC or ROD gauge does not work at all.The inversed NAV1/ADF1 and NAV2/ADF2 gauges are very irritating to me,especially as this item does not seem to be fixed in the
50-70 series:come on guys,how hard can this be?Where in the 10-40 series it was possible to have
the stairs at the entrances approach the entrance by the shift E3 command,this seems gone in the 50-70 series.I really like the glass cockpit additions in the later DC-8's,but why is it not possible to have a
blow up of the map,only of the EADI?
 But the system that gave me the most headaches is the fuel system.I have spent hours and hours trying
to figure it out,and though I have learned to work with it somehow,a lot remains puzzling.For the sake of others,I want to tell what I learned:(most of this is for the DC-8-73F)
First of all,you cannot,as should be, start the nr 3 engine.You must start nr1,then nr2 then 3 and 4.
The FWD AUX tank is a dummy,you cannot fill it and you best leave its tank lever in the OFF position
ThE CTR WING AUX can be filled and used.You can even use it to start an engine:open the ctr wing aux
tank,put it's boost pump on,open the main or aux tank of the engine you want to start,and do the normal start procedure (but again:first engine 1,then 2...).The comments that were of most use to me
were those of jdetrick in this forum.I really advise you all to read them to understand how the real
DC-8 fuel system was used.It also made me acutely aware of the fact that to really use this fuel system,you should have operating fill valves,but in this sim,they are,...you guessed it,dummies.
  In spite of all the negative here,I keep on believing in this plane.I still am glad they released it,however imperfect.Is a cooperation between JF and the very knowledgeable Mr. Paul Golding 
impossible?Paul already had some quite advanced DC-8  in the making,and I am sad he was unable
to finish it.
  It is a strange thing,I own most of the advanced PMDG stuff ,yet I keep longing for the primitive DC-8.It gave a pilot things to do.I for myself,cannot put it aside,however imperfect it's  present condition.
Please JF people,I am sure I am not alone in this,give it another try,makes us a thrilling update,do
restore that fuel system as you originally ment it to be.We the people who use it,prefer this,whatever the JF company executives may think .

theophile View Drop Down
Check-In Staff
Check-In Staff

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote theophile Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Sep 2014 at 7:28pm
I must make an apology to the makers of DC8 on one count.I found out that it is possible to get an enlarged map by using one of the shift commands.I also found out something new:suppose in one
session you start the nrs 1 and 2 and then shut them down.You will then not be able to restart the
nr 1 engine before you start the nr 3 ,thus following the 1,2,3,4 sequence.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic