This forum is in read-only mode for archive purposes, please use our new forum at https://community.justflight.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Just Flight Products > DC-8 Jetliner Series 10 through 70
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

DC-8

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Ground Crew
Ground Crew

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote yankeeromeo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: DC-8
    Posted: 22 Aug 2014 at 2:24pm
Hello Folks,
Time to open a DC-8 50 to 70 series TopicWink
Thanks in advance.
Beer
wingclip1 View Drop Down
Check-In Staff
Check-In Staff

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wingclip1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Aug 2014 at 7:36pm
Hi Folks,
I have a small 'window of opportunity' to purchase the DC 8 50 -70 series and time is a factor. I already own the Comet, and the DC-3 Legends of Flight so my question is;

How much different is the DC 8 from the Comet? I mean Flight Dynamics, general operation, things like that...

I love the DC3 and the Comet is great as well but I don't want to spend the money on a plane that may be essentially 'just another Comet'. I believe the Comet is older than the DC 8 and therefore, may be faster, more automated, etc. But is it?

ALSO; I was actually saving up for JF the DC-10 and I'm not so sure I want to use the money I've got so far, on the DC-8. 

Is there someone out there who has both, (if not all 3; the Comet, the DC 8 and the DC 10), and who can give some opinion on how the JF '8 compares to the JF '10? Which would you have chosen if you could only have chosen one?

The regular price for the DC 8 is $29.99 USD. I'm a believer that you get what you pay for and the Comet and DC 10 are both more expensive, (by over $11.00 USD!).

Anyway, my opportunity to buy the DC 8 at a discounted price will soon vanish so I appreciate any input, opinions, etc. anyone can give.
Thanks,
Rich
Asrock Z 77 Extreme 4 /16 gigs Ram /700W PSU /Intel i7 2600K /Radeon HD 7850PE /CPU cooling with Swiftech H220, (4) 120mm fans push/pull config) /OS drive: Samung 840 EVO 500GB SSD /FSX Dedicated SSD
alexcolka View Drop Down
Ground Crew
Ground Crew

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote alexcolka Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Aug 2014 at 9:24pm
Hi, for me are very different kind of planes, first as a product, the DC-8 is more mature, better textures, 3d model, vc and sounds (tss sounds); it's a huge package about 900 mb the installer, lots of variants and repaints, not to mention if you have the complete series from 10 to 70 as my case.

The flight dyanamics are very different too (I don't have any rw experience in both), and the DC-8 feels a lot better maybe because the fd was developed by Wayne Tudor (I could be mistaken).

The instrument panel of the Comet is far different too (classic british style as you know) than the DC-8 and the 70 series is a modernized cockpit with some glass instruments. I need to tell you that the systems are not so deep in the DC-8 but a lot deeper than the Comet and DC-3 (I have both btw).

If you are not much into study sim add-ons this could be a pleasent surprise for you. I personally really like the DC-8 and older jets, propliners and turboprops, there are little out there and yes I have all the JF classic line (DC-3, DC-6, DC-8, Comet, Viscount, Constellation and L-1011) and I would buy any project on that type JF decides to develop.

Good luck in your choices.
Alex
alexcolka View Drop Down
Ground Crew
Ground Crew

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote alexcolka Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Aug 2014 at 9:30pm
A question about the spoilers operation in the DC-8 series 50 to 70:

How I operate them? In the older series you need to engage the engine ejectors in the upper panel and then you engage the spoilers with / .

I'm lost with this series (and lazy too for not looking deeply in the manual).

Thanks!
wingclip1 View Drop Down
Check-In Staff
Check-In Staff

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wingclip1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Aug 2014 at 1:09am
Thank you, Alex!

Of course, I can't help you on the spoilers, but it seems to me that FSX default "/" should extend/retract them regardless of the "by-the'book" method. However, I do know that some of the default commands don't always override operations of various systems in some aircraft and this can be one of them.
Rich
PS The price for the DC 8 is too good to pass up so I'm going for it.
Asrock Z 77 Extreme 4 /16 gigs Ram /700W PSU /Intel i7 2600K /Radeon HD 7850PE /CPU cooling with Swiftech H220, (4) 120mm fans push/pull config) /OS drive: Samung 840 EVO 500GB SSD /FSX Dedicated SSD
richjb View Drop Down
Check-In Staff
Check-In Staff

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote richjb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Aug 2014 at 3:49am
Do not mean to speak badly about the new DC 8 50-70 add on, but....

I followed the manual and tried to start the engines as described only to find that the engine starter switches had no click spots. It is impossible to mouse click the starter switches! REALLY??? This was not caught in beta???

Also, the manual does not describe the bleed system set up description for the DC 8-63F TIA model. I am talking a guess at flipping switches.

One more thing. The altitude pre-selector does not dial up in individual digits. It will either dial up in 100' increments or in 1000' increments with an option for 100' increments.

Now that I did a CTL-E to start the engines (guess the fuel system won't work as advertised?), I am off to fly it.

Apologies if this post was a little snarky. Just a little but of frustration this evening.

Thanks,

Rich Boll
eke2000 View Drop Down
Check-In Staff
Check-In Staff

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eke2000 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Aug 2014 at 5:45am
Hi,
How it works with P3DV2.3?
Is this DC8 compatible with P3DV2.3 or only for FSX?

djreonic View Drop Down
Check-In Staff
Check-In Staff

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote djreonic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Aug 2014 at 1:43am
Hey, folks. i have a question.

What Navigraph FMS Data Package do I download for the DC-8 50-70 FMS? I would've thought JF would include that (in my opinion) rather vital tidbit of information in the documentation somewhere, but as of yet, I have been unable to find any mention of it.

Thanks.

DJ
SRAces View Drop Down
Check-In Staff
Check-In Staff

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SRAces Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Aug 2014 at 3:41am
I have the new DC-8 50/70 and am running it fine on P3D V2.3. Running the HD textures. The installer does allow you to select P3D v2. I am trying to figure out where the paint kit download link is. Has anyone come across it yet?
Steve Stubbs
USAF (retired)
Jettrader View Drop Down
Check-In Staff
Check-In Staff

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jettrader Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Aug 2014 at 7:30pm
unfortunately the developement team seems to have been ignorant regarding things that were mentioned by users of the -10 to -40s series.

The altitude is useless as you have to dial through single digit increments instead of the 1000' or 100' feet increments of the real thing.

The digital altimeter shows also every single increment, instead of 10' 100' and 1000' increments. Also the pressure window is offset (at least during night lighting times) and therefore unreadable.

Much of the night lighting is off-set.

The digital EADI is useless as the pitch attitude displayed is totally incorrect - if you compare it to the standby horizon the pitch is off by 10°.

The ASI is very unprecise  in terms of scaling / texturing.

For some reason I'm only able to start engine °1 and °2 with the start switches.

and so on... I'm very disappointed with this release. The visuals are great, but the useability is just pre-beta stage...
Tubthumper View Drop Down
Check-In Staff
Check-In Staff

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tubthumper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Aug 2014 at 11:49pm
What's the word on the paintkit?  Is there a release date for it yet?
What's that mountain goat doing up here in this cloud bank?
Check-In Staff
Check-In Staff

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tubthumper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Aug 2014 at 12:45am

You might want to have a developer check out the fuel loading. I believe the capacities of the left and right tanks should be equal.  It looks like the right and center 2 tank capacities are backwards.  I'm not sure if it makes a difference but I'm looking at the -62 version.

SRAces View Drop Down
Check-In Staff
Check-In Staff

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SRAces Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Aug 2014 at 12:50am
I noticed that the FMC is programmable, but have been pulling my hair out trying to tie it in on the plane. The plane will fly heading bug and GPS, but cannot figure the FMC switch/toggle.
Steve Stubbs
USAF (retired)
Check-In Staff
Check-In Staff

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tubthumper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Aug 2014 at 3:30am
Hi SRAces,
You have to have the NAV/GPS switch in GPS mode and the NAV Select switch on AUXNAV for it to couple with the autopilot.
ferondoe View Drop Down
Check-In Staff
Check-In Staff

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ferondoe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Aug 2014 at 8:47am
Hi, where can I find the paint kit DC8-70 series
regards
ferondoe
Blaunarwal View Drop Down
Ground Crew
Ground Crew

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Blaunarwal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Aug 2014 at 10:26am
Originally posted by yankeeromeo yankeeromeo wrote:

Hello Folks,
Time to open a DC-8 50 to 70 series TopicWink
Thanks in advance.
Beer

I also have some questions about the 70F type autopilot. Please open a topic for the latest DC-8 product.
Rich View Drop Down
Just Flight Staff
Just Flight Staff

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rich Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Aug 2014 at 1:13pm
Hi,
The paintkit can be downloaded from here - 

This forum has been renamed to house discussion on all the various DC-8 variants. 

Please report any bugs that you come across to the support team via www.justflight.com/support so that they can investigate them. 
SRAces View Drop Down
Check-In Staff
Check-In Staff

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SRAces Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Aug 2014 at 1:54pm
Originally posted by Tubthumper Tubthumper wrote:

Hi SRAces,
You have to have the NAV/GPS switch in GPS mode and the NAV Select switch on AUXNAV for it to couple with the autopilot.

Thanks! I'll give that a try. Appreciate it.
Steve Stubbs
USAF (retired)
Check-In Staff
Check-In Staff

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tubthumper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Aug 2014 at 4:44pm
Originally posted by Rich Rich wrote:

Hi,
The paintkit can be downloaded from here - 

This forum has been renamed to house discussion on all the various DC-8 variants. 

Please report any bugs that you come across to the support team via www.justflight.com/support so that they can investigate them. 

Thanks Rich,  There used to be a link on the homepage for product support but it's not there anymore.  Also, on the Customer Service page the links are white text on an off white background making them very hard to see.  Could you pass this info on to whoever is responsible for these issues?
Check-In Staff
Check-In Staff

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tubthumper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Aug 2014 at 5:15pm
Bug report:
1) Whenever I center mouse click the ALT Hold switch I get a VS rate instead of zero.  It's a different rate for each plane and happens even if I dial the knob to zero before I center click it.  So far I've only flown 2 planes; the rate for the -62 is 100 FPM and the -73F is -1200 FPM.

2) The fuel tank capacities are off.

3) The altitude minder dials in single digits.

THE SOUND SET IS AWESOME!!!  My complements to the team for that one!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic