This forum is in read-only mode for archive purposes, please use our new forum at https://community.justflight.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Just Chat > Real World Aviation
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Where has everyone gone?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hifly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Oct 2014 at 9:42pm
Originally posted by TomA320 TomA320 wrote:

Still here as well...not really on flight simulator as much now, I'm now a flight instructor so I get to fly almost everyday in a real aircraft which is great.  I still go on flight sim occasionally though and still often check on the JF forum but as everyone else has said, it's so quite on here now! 

Interesting Tom, an instructor at the tender age of 19, WOW and probably belated congratulations! Well please give us some details.

What and where are you flying? I'm sure there are many here who would like to hear some real world flying experiences from you, post some pics. Is this part of a career plan to move on to bigger things?

Whatever, I wish you all the best, just keep us informed of your adventures.

And fly safe.

Must Fly!
Jim View Drop Down
P/UT
P/UT

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Oct 2014 at 10:11am
What a great future you have.as the saying goes."The skys the limit".
Jim.
TomA320 View Drop Down
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote TomA320 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Oct 2014 at 6:49pm
Thanks guys, 

Yes, instructing is great, I'm currently at Tayside Aviation and flying the Grobs and Warriors. Not only is it really enjoyable and you can clock up lots of P1 hours in your log book very quickly, but the thing I never really though about was how rewarding it would be.  I had a student who had very little previous flying experience and I sent him solo a few weeks back.  A great feeling watching from the control tower and thinking that you trained the person behind the controls to be able to fly that aircraft.  We are now onto Nav so next stage will be sending him on his first solo nav then doing the landaways for the QXC.  

The other thing is that instructing keeps your skills fresh: a few weekends ago I flew 5 and a bit hours and some of that was in the circuit getting a student ready for solo, another bit was PFLs and finally some stalling so you can find yourself going through many exercises in a single day if you have a few different students.  

Tayside have a pilot placement program with Loganair so once instructors have worked around 18 months they will join Loganair as a FO.  At the moment I'm more than happy working as an FI as they are so many interesting parts of your job that you wouldn't experience as an airline pilot.  

Tom 

Rich View Drop Down
Just Flight Staff
Just Flight Staff

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rich Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Oct 2014 at 6:56pm
Hi Tom,
Glad to hear things are going well.
What Grob to you fly?
TomA320 View Drop Down
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TomA320 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Oct 2014 at 7:16pm
Thanks Rich, 

It's the Grob 115 aircraft, very nice, light and responsive -  feels a lot different from flying a Warrior! 

ConcordeGuy View Drop Down
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ConcordeGuy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Nov 2014 at 4:16am
Jesus, been a while. Last time I posted was about Tom's article in the Daily Fail.

I haven't been simming much since I was about 14-15. I've tried to get back into it again, though. I bought the PMDG 737 NGX with some Saitek controls a while back, but even now I don't fly that much anymore.

I've forgotten a lot since. I'm currently training for my PPL at the moment, but the cost is just too much. Work is killing me (I start my rota shift in two hours) and I'm finding it hard to spend time with FSX!
Rides a 1999 Kawasaki ZZR600
hifly View Drop Down
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hifly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Nov 2014 at 1:53pm
Well Robbie, another one flying for real. Can I ask was it flight simming that got you into the real stuff or has that always been your dream? And what after the PPL, a career in aviation? Whichever, I wish you luck in getting your licence.

Yep it is quiet here, I think all the big topics have been argued over and war stories told. JF's Rich says more folk are on the in-your-Facebook site here but there's no real dialogue there. I still check in every day but have defected over to Mutley's Hanger and am bothering the good folk there.

All the Best and happy landings.    
Must Fly!
ConcordeGuy View Drop Down
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ConcordeGuy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Nov 2014 at 3:06pm
Ahh Mutley's Hangar. I remember donating a fiver a few years back when he first started the site...he was well happy :)

I wanted to be a pilot in the RAF. When that didn't work out, the flying just stayed on the back burner for a while. That was until I went on holiday to Lanzarote (third time ;D) and seeing the planes take off and land right near our villa sparked the interest up again.

I wouldn't mind an ATPL, however I just don't have the money so it's not possible :(
Rides a 1999 Kawasaki ZZR600
Stringbean View Drop Down
P1
P1

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stringbean Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Dec 2014 at 11:04am

Thought i’d pop in to say hello.

Yes,..it has gone very quite on the JF forum. I noticed this a very long time ago actually. I wonder if it’s just that as time passes, people move on. They get older, have different commitments and take on responsibilities that they never had before. I’m guessing that not many new people join up after them because things have changed a lot since FSX came out in terms of social media, technology and entertainment.

I myself haven’t posted here for probably getting on near three years give or take a few months. but that’s mainly because I eventually decided to get rid of the noisy PC with it’s fans whirring away that I built in order to play FSX. 

FSX always did require some sort of maintenance with a tweak here and a tweak there. I kind of just had enough really. When I think of all the time and money I dedicated on FSX over the years. Radar Contact 4, Traffic X, Real weather program addons, adding extra RAM, updating graphics cards and messing about with settings and config files, it eventually did my head in. Even though I got it to run pretty good in the end, I decided I’d call it a day. Six years of FSX was enough, it was tired, getting old and the Aces team at Microsoft even chucked the towel in. 

Social media began to really take off and Facebook is where most of the conversations these days take place. Forums are (arguably), becoming old and tired too I think. 

Technology is constantly changing. Fast forward in time and along came these wonderful little devices called Tablets. They get faster and faster with each new release and fantastic screen resolutionThere is so much more choice nowadays in which to entertain yourself. I now get my quick fix of flight simming on my iPad by playing with Infinite Flight which to my mind is the next best thing on a mobile device. Aerofly 2 is due out soon and I know that even the good folks here at Just Flight have produced a couple of aircraft for the current original Aerofly app.

Ok, flight simulator on a mobile device will never give you that truly immersive experience you get with a large desktop screen, and a yoke/joystick, especially for those people who want to be real pilots, and I admit, I sometimes miss that. But in all honestly, apps like Infinite Flight for mobile devices are surprisingly very good and challenging and the graphics are amazing and all for the price of a budget DVD.

I think this is the appeal and attraction of much of gaming today, convenient, small devices at the touch of a button anytime, anywhere. 

wain View Drop Down
P1
P1

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wain Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Dec 2014 at 10:41pm
I think you are right with regards to people and having a lack of time. Busy lives etc.

I built a PC mainly for FSX last year, it is running nicely and all my addons play nicely together so over the past few months I have found I now do more flying than tweaking, it seems quite stable and has the weather, traffic and textures I wont, so no need to tweak.

I have a tablet and even though some 'games' are fine I wont use it to replace Flightsim and if I want mainstream gaming thats why I have a PS4. What I believe will happen is as it is now, to get FSX/XPLANE/P3D things you shop online or at shows.

Flightsim for me is a way of escaping reality with some challenges and a whole heap of fun, I think it all depends what you as an individual want from the experiance........
twright View Drop Down
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote twright Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Dec 2014 at 11:08am
My FSX PC is now plugged into my living room TV used only as a Plex Server!

I had the heartache of a HDD failure earlier in the year and lost the lot Cry  I've reinstalled FSX and some of my old favourites but it's nowhere near as heavy as it was. Besides that I've also moved in with my girlfriend in our own flat, where we're limited for space so can only really sim while she's out!  Have resumed r/l lessons though after a long hiatus, just waiting for some nice weather!

Kind regards,
Tom
Martyn View Drop Down
Just Flight Staff
Just Flight Staff
Development Manager

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Martyn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Dec 2014 at 4:08pm
Good to see some old names here Thumbs Up

As Richard has pointed out we tend to 'engage with customers' more on Facebook now, although as someone pointed out earlier its not really a replacement for a forum discussion. Both myself and Richard are now busy programming on projects like Canberra, Tristar Pro and the upcoming Tornado, so its increasingly difficult to find the time to post here.

In terms of R/W flying, I got my PPL back in 2011 and hope to invest in an IMC and night rating soon. I actually bumped into our very own Jack (Aircraft Aviation) at my local airfield a little while ago. I was jumping out of one of the club C152s as he was getting out of the Piper Arrow that he is flying nowadays. Its a small world!

Martyn
Martyn
Just Flight Ltd
dodgy-alan View Drop Down
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dodgy-alan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Dec 2014 at 6:40pm
I'm still here but spend most of my time on Mutleys Hangar these days. A lot of the old names seem to have vanished. Posts rarely got comments and it was pretty dead at times. However I've plenty of material available so will add some stuff.Smile
The light at the end of the tunnel is a freight train coming the other way !
johnep View Drop Down
P1
P1

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote johnep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Dec 2014 at 8:36am
Pcs are becoming obsolete. Replaced by X Boxes, Tablets and smart phones.Only hope for flight sim is a cloud based format.
johnep
Christopher Low View Drop Down
P/UT
P/UT

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Christopher Low Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Dec 2014 at 8:57pm
X-Boxes, tablets and smartphones do not interest me. In fact, the only use I can think of for a mobile phone is in an emergency (which is a biggie, I grant you). I have never owned a mobile phone, or a tablet, or a games console, and long may it stay that way!

MartinW View Drop Down
Moderator in Command
Moderator in Command

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MartinW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Dec 2014 at 2:11pm
Originally posted by twright twright wrote:

My FSX PC is now plugged into my living room TV used only as a Plex Server!

I had the heartache of a HDD failure earlier in the year and lost the lot Cry  I've reinstalled FSX and some of my old favourites but it's nowhere near as heavy as it was. Besides that I've also moved in with my girlfriend in our own flat, where we're limited for space so can only really sim while she's out!  Have resumed r/l lessons though after a long hiatus, just waiting for some nice weather!

Naughty, naughty. You should have made an Acronis image and reinstalled the lot with a simple click.

MartinW View Drop Down
Moderator in Command
Moderator in Command

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MartinW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Dec 2014 at 2:16pm
Originally posted by johnep johnep wrote:

Pcs are becoming obsolete. Replaced by X Boxes, Tablets and smart phones.Only hope for flight sim is a cloud based format.
johnep

I don't think they are becoming obsolete to be honest, it's just that they aren't upgraded to newer tech as often as phones, tablets etc. Hence sales lower.

I did hear that Intel had excellent sales of CPU's recently though.

I tell you what may revive my interest in FSX... an X55 Rhino that is sitting under my Christmas tree.

It'll be great for Elite: Dangerous as well... due out tomorrow!

http://www.elitedangerous.com/

Magic Man View Drop Down
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Magic Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Dec 2014 at 3:06pm
Originally posted by MartinW MartinW wrote:

I tell you what may revive my interest in FSX... an X55 Rhino that is sitting under my Christmas tree.

It'll be great for Elite: Dangerous as well... due out tomorrow!

http://www.elitedangerous.com/

Yo old timer...! I shall see you in the darkness of space. Been in the beta for a few weeks myself...

Nice choice on the stick.

Happy Christmas to all..! :)
MartinW View Drop Down
Moderator in Command
Moderator in Command

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MartinW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Dec 2014 at 11:06pm
Ha, if it isn't me old pal Magic person...

Don't worry Magic, Iv'e been practising in the free Eagle I got with the Mercenary edition. If you see me scooping fuel around a sun, don't be fooled, it's just a ploy to draw you in.

Where's my free manual and digital art that was supposed to be with the mercenary? What are they up to?

P.S. What's Santa bringing Magic for Xmas?

dogtrack View Drop Down
Check-In Staff
Check-In Staff

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dogtrack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Dec 2014 at 3:19pm
No mobile phone Christopher! Thought I was bad, have one but never turn it on....Just carry it for emegencies.
Arnie

...if it ain't broke, don't fix it...

i7 4770K : GTX 770 : 8GB Ram : FSX Gold : P3D : X-Plane : W7 64 :
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
  Share Topic