This forum is in read-only mode for archive purposes, please use our new forum at https://community.justflight.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Just Chat > Just Chat - General Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

God and Physics

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aniceguy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Apr 2008 at 5:01pm
After spending the last hour reading through these posts, as well as watching that video (found that really helpful in answering some of my own religious questions) I am one person who finds himself in the middle of the discussion subject.

I am Christian and am very strong hearted about what I believe. I do believe that religion has helped many issues within the world that we exist.

However I find it hard to understand certain issues, examples being allowing gay couples to be lawfully married and another the existence of third world countries.

The question  posed as said 'does God exist' to me is not an easy answer. There is lack of evidence as already stated and my views of scientific theories is to be confused as I find it hard to dismiss the theory of evolution.

Miracles; "Einstein didn't believe in a supernatural force himself but he had a deep relevance", yet the sense of being moral is a religious view; not that it is overall a belief, but a sense of belief.

I like the example of God doing miracles all the time being like a Alice in wonderland. That's completely true.

With regards to the resurrection of Christ I believe strongly. For those who haven't you should watch 'The Passion of Christ'.
Visit http://fsprojects.netau.net for my flight sim and train sim web sites :)
Old Flapper View Drop Down
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Old Flapper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Apr 2008 at 6:05pm
For what it's worth, I believe strongly in evolution. As a gardener I've witnessed it myself I have seen fungus become quite resistant to fungicide after repeated use and the same can be said for bugs. In my experience, both plants and animals evolve and If the species is pushed to breaking point it will evolve at a phenominal rate.  I can't dismiss it either - the evidence is all around us. I also believe in God and I'm open to the idea that there may be inaccuracies in certain theological statements. I don't take the Holy Bible as literally as many do. It's not a bad rule book though.
You mention gay people getting married - I'm not sure how you mean? I personally see no reason why they shouldn't, in fact I think it's great! Furthermore I can't imagine that God would have the slightest problem with any kind of love. Gotta be better than hate which ever way you cut it? I sometimes wonder if the church is a little out of date?
But anyway, who or what is God? Is He the creator of all the Earth and heavens? Science strongly suggests not (to put it mildly). The evidence to support the 'Big bang' theory is pretty much incontrovertible if I'm not mistaken. So I'm going to go with the idea that He did not create the world. That's taken the weight of the world (and the blame) off His shoulders hasn't it?
I think (for the purpose of this discussion) I've denied him creation and evolution, so what's left? Plenty I suppose, but the one thing I can't deny is His existance and His power. Now on this Earth plain, His power works through all the forces of the world (whether His creation or not), they are the vehicle for His powers if you like. It's up to us in the physical world whether we employ them for His work or not.
I will continue later on tonight if I may please. I have to go to church right now and may discuss this further with some of the people there and see what they think. if anything at all.
Please know that this is just my ideas and if if you have deeper beliefs and faiths, then I may well stand corrected. At any rate I respect and welcome your faith.
Best regards.
John.
Smile
Everyone's entitled to my opinions
MartinW View Drop Down
Moderator in Command
Moderator in Command

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MartinW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Apr 2008 at 6:26pm

John, so if god isn't the creator of 'everything' and the universe already existed. Are you saying you believe god was created at the same instant as the big bang, as a product of the big bang? For that to be true I see no physical means by which that could happen, a sentient and all powerful being created from nothing seems unlikely.

The only possibility I can think of for that to be feasible [some think] is the theory that given enough time [an enormous span of time] that eventually according to some interpretations of physics, a sentient being could appear from nowhere.

Surprisingly the possibility of a book a chair a house spontaneously appearing out of thin air is not zero, the same applies to super intellect. They call them ‘Boltzmann brains’, after the 19th-century Austrian physicist Ludwig Boltzmann, a pioneer in thermodynamics and statistical mechanics. Boltzmann posed the question of whether the universe could have arisen from a thermal fluctuation; his work suggested the idea that a fluctuation could, give rise to a conscious entity that sees the universe. In this regard Boltzmann brains are not necessarily actual brains, but rather are a metaphor for observers of the universe that might appear spontaneously.

An unlikely scenario though, just an idea.

Or perhaps you believe that god is a being more advanced than us, but not exactly a god. As Arthur C Clarke said any suitably advanced intelligence would be indistinguishable from god.

aniceguy View Drop Down
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aniceguy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Apr 2008 at 6:36pm
Martin, you atheist your making me re-consider the existence of the man upstairs now . Shocked
MartinW View Drop Down
Moderator in Command
Moderator in Command

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MartinW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Apr 2008 at 6:39pm
I'm not an atheist. I'm an agnostic.
aniceguy View Drop Down
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aniceguy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Apr 2008 at 6:45pm
My apologies. I made an incorrect assumption.
MartinW View Drop Down
Moderator in Command
Moderator in Command

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MartinW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Apr 2008 at 6:49pm

Nobody can say that god doesn't exist, or that god does exist. You can't prove it either way. But you can say that it's either plausible or implausible. And in the case of a belief in a magical supernatural creator you can say that based on our knowledge of the way the universe functions it's very implausible.

Therefore I'm an agnostic.

It's a bit like if I said to you that a sabre toothed tiger was orbiting at the controls of a space ship, around mars. you would say it was very implausible, but you couldn't prove it was incorrect.

People that believe in god do so with not the slightest bit of evidence. They base their belief on simply the way they feel, trouble is when you are dealing with something as implausible as an entity that uses his magic to create the universe or do his bidding, then you need more than just ‘feeling it’s true’, you need solid evidence to support such a premise… and there isn’t any.

Seeing a vision, seeing an angel doesn’t constitute subjective evidence. The experiences could just as well be related to the state of that person’s brain chemistry.

Odai View Drop Down
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Odai Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Apr 2008 at 9:44pm
Awesome! Thanks JF! Now I can get back to disagreeing with Martin here, there, and everywhere. .

What isn't so awesome is how crazily far off-topic we've gone. Shocked

I'll sort you all out tommorow. Angry

Wink

I guess we could make a seperate thread to discuss God and religion, but I want to stick to physics and God here... Smile
ʎɐqǝ uo pɹɐoqʎǝʞ ɐ ʎnq ı ǝɯıʇ ʇsɐן ǝɥʇ sı sıɥʇ
aniceguy View Drop Down
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aniceguy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Apr 2008 at 10:32pm
I think I've said this before but cannot remember. I've told friends and they classed me as a philosopher (Martin you'll like this).

Statement of fact in my personal opinion:

God created the chicken till man proved him wrong.

No offence was meant.
VulcanB2 View Drop Down
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VulcanB2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Apr 2008 at 12:24am
Quote I made an incorrect assumption.

You did, or something else did? Wink

What gives us "life", and where is the interface between this thing that gives us "life" and the physical being? Break us down into our component parts and we're nothing more than chemicals. Break us down further and you end up at the atomic level, looking at protons, neutrons and electrons. Where is "us"?

Yes, electricity is flowing at this atomic level, but electricity alone is insufficient for coherent, conscious thought.

Best regards,
Vulcan.
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Old Flapper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Apr 2008 at 12:50am
Sorry I had to cut off so abruptly. I was working at church tonight.
I raised the question  earlier "Who or what is God?" Well I can't possibly claim to know for sure, but it seems plausible to my way of thinking that He was not necessarily (and these are my own thoughts based on evidence I have received) created at the moment of the big bang, but possibly a product of it? Well, indirectly we all are, assuming of course the theory is correct. This leads me back to a point I made earlier about life being eternal. I believe we have a soul or spirit if you like and that the spirit is not dependant on the physical body, but merely uses it on this earth plain.
As a Spiritualist, I know an awful lot of Spiritual mediums. I don't mean the fortune tellers that travel with the carnival, nor do I mean psychics, but people who are clairvoyant or clairaudient and are able to converse with, see or hear loved ones who have already passed. Stuff and nonsense would long have been my reaction to that, but sometimes its funny how things can change your mind. I want to ommit my own spirituality from this please, but would like to tell you that it is possible for a medium to give specific and accurate messages from departed loved ones to any number of people within a room. I've seen it done at least once per week for the past few years. When I say specific, I mean names, addresses, ailments, characteristics, professions, vices, loves and all things human or animal. For example; one of the first times I went to church, I was told of Molly in spirit connecting with me. Well I can honestly say I don't know anyone called Molly, living or otherwise and told him so. "Yes you do!" he said "Four legs" and went on to describe, the colour (Tiger brindle), breed and temperament anr foibles of my friend's dog, Molly, who I had recently taken to the vet to be put to sleep. I felt that was pretty specific. He also described the unusual arrangement of the furniture in my living room and two very unusual things that happened to me. One night about three years ago I walked through the doorway into my living room and as I did I "bumped" into someone. I saw him clear as day and I can tell you I nearly had a canary! I could describe him exactly it was that vivid. A year or so later I saw him again as I got up from the settee and walked to the same door to leave the room. He was by the window, this time head and shoulders only, but he turned and watched me leave the room. I got the gooseflesh, but put both events down to my mind playing tricks and only ever told my wife. Anyway, this medium had both these events in his arsenal and when he gave them to me I was shocked to say the least. Happily, he was able to identify the spirit as my grandfather and gave me his name. A little research on my part uncovered that it was my great grandfather and photographs made for visual confirmation.
Although far from the most convincing evidence I've seen, this is just one example of hundreds I have had, but it was personal to me, so at the risk of ridicule I relate it.
Now please humour me, I have a strong belief that these spirits collectively are what we have in God, I believe God is Spirit. We all are part of God in short. That is why we should treat each other with love and tenderness and above all compassion. That is how God is powerful through all living things.
I also feel that this for the time being at least falls outside of science as we know it. I doesn't conflict with science as such as far as I can see. I mean not to take anything away from any Religious following by saying what I have. Please know that these are just how I believe things to be. I can't prove it to you on these forums. Above all I don't wish to trample on anyone's faith.

Smile
VulcanB2 View Drop Down
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VulcanB2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Apr 2008 at 1:31am
There are "things" I'm aware of that I won't go into detail about, but most definitely exist beyond my existence. Maybe you'd consider it a spiritual thing, but I consider it extra-dimensional, as it is the only way to describe what it seems to be based on its nature and what it (so far) represents, every time it has presented itself. I will say this about it though: so far, it has 100% of time preceded a serious incident that could result, specifically, in loss of life, but before the event itself has occurred sometimes by days (out-ruling any subliminal or sub-conscious triggers).

Best regards,
Vulcan.
MartinW View Drop Down
Moderator in Command
Moderator in Command

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MartinW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Apr 2008 at 8:33am
Yes, electricity is flowing at this atomic level, but electricity alone is insufficient for coherent, conscious thought.

Vulcan... The brain is composed of 100 billion neurones and each one of those neurones can connect with any of the others. can you imagine how many possible connections that is? Actually it's more than the entire number of elementary particles in the known universe. Thats an astonishing statistic, the brain is the most complex arrangement of matter we know of [until we meet an alien with a more advanced brain] and it's more than complex enough to create the illusion you know of as consciousness. There is a model of the virtual world inside your computer, a primitive one, not surprising considering the limited complexity compared to the Brain, so you can see how easy it is for the brain to conjure a virtual world and consciousness for us. Probably evolving in us and other animals as a survival tool.
MartinW View Drop Down
Moderator in Command
Moderator in Command

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MartinW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Apr 2008 at 8:54am

Quote created at the moment of the big bang, but possibly a product of it? Well, indirectly we all are,

In that case John he's not a supernatural deity at all is he... he's a life form/energy being created by natural means [big bang] just like us.

Quote I believe we have a soul or spirit if you like and that the spirit is not dependant on the physical body, but merely uses it on this earth plain.

But you have no evidence of this; it's just a belief without foundation. But of course one you are entitled to.

Fascinating experience you relate john and thanks for sharing it. Ridicule is not something you will receive from me and I'm sure you won't from the others. As for an explanation...

According to rigorous scientific tests n Britain, which concluded that that most mediums simply use a series of relatively simple psychological tricks to fool people. They report that when asked to perform under tightly controlled laboratory conditions, mediums' special skills seem to disappear into the spirit world. According to the scientists behind the experiment, most mediums use tricks like 'cold readings' - making informed guesses about a person based on observable physical and behavioral signs - as well as picking up on verbal responses. The report went on to say that while some mediums know full well what they are doing, others use such skills unconsciously, and honestly believe they are being fed answers by spirits.

Quote These are probably the most rigorous experiments that have been done in this field, and they show that the mediums could not contact the spirits and give accurate readings under controlled conditions," Richard Wiseman, of the University of Hertfordshire

As you know john, I am interested in the paranormal, and don't dismiss things lightly.
It is possible that you have come across a group of spiritualists that do have the abilities they claim, if so, I wish they would submit themselves to the scientists and be tested under controlled conditions. If they did, just think of the progress we could make in understanding the true nature of reality.
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Old Flapper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Apr 2008 at 6:20pm
I wish they would submit themselves to science too. By the way, they are asked to travel from church to church and seldom even get their fares paid. Who would have thought it would be me who's keeping this thread alive? I was thinking about the fear of death and I'm a little fearful of leaving my loved ones, but that's as far as it goes. Often time expired folks welcome it don't they.
I'm not too sure about St. Peter and the pearly gates though, I would imagine it's just like stepping to the other side without any great journey. Once again, just my thoughts at work here...
Smile
aniceguy View Drop Down
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aniceguy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Apr 2008 at 12:25am
MartinW View Drop Down
Moderator in Command
Moderator in Command

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MartinW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Apr 2008 at 10:28am
Originally posted by VulcanB2 VulcanB2 wrote:

There are "things" I'm aware of that I won't go into detail about, but most definitely exist beyond my existence. Maybe you'd consider it a spiritual thing, but I consider it extra-dimensional, as it is the only way to describe what it seems to be based on its nature and what it (so far) represents, every time it has presented itself. I will say this about it though: so far, it has 100% of time preceded a serious incident that could result, specifically, in loss of life, but before the event itself has occurred sometimes by days (out-ruling any subliminal or sub-conscious triggers).

Best regards,
Vulcan.

Why not go into detail Vulcan? we are all exposing ourselves to a degree hear, debating things that are very personal. What could be more personal that ones spiritual beliefs. Why not tell us of your experience.
VulcanB2 View Drop Down
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VulcanB2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Apr 2008 at 3:53pm
Quote Why not go into detail Vulcan? we are all exposing ourselves to a degree hear, debating things that are very personal. What could be more personal that ones spiritual beliefs. Why not tell us of your experience.

I'll tell you via PM.

Quote I'm not too sure about St. Peter and the pearly gates though

Ever watch the Vicar of Dibley? .

Best regards,
Vulcan.
Odai View Drop Down
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Odai Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Apr 2008 at 2:29pm
hello,

Sorry for taking so long to post, I've had major problems with getting on to the internet.

Looks like we've gone way, way off topic here. Still looks like an interesting discussion though...

Quote No,  if one experiment sheds doubt on a theory it's not proven as wrong. One experiment in favour or one not is irrelevant, only many experiments and the majority suggesting something is valid or invalid is relevant.

The 1001st experiment thats negative would be discarded in favour of the vast amount of data that suggested the concept was valid... unless in time more data followed that overwhelmed the positive outcome. 

I disagree. I reckon you're thinking too subjectively there. You have to ignore what will happen in practice. If you ignore experimental error, you can an experiement to be 'perfect', in that every observation and result it produces, is 100% correct. The problem is there is not only one type of result, but many. Some may agree with theory, some may not. In my example 1000 did, 1 did not. If you still disagree, then all I can say is I recalled this idea from a book I read (it may have been a Brief History of Time), so that's the opinion of 2 people vs 1 Martin. Big%20smile

Quote The question  posed as said 'does God exist' to me is not an easy answer.

That wasn't the question mate, it was about the possibility of proving/disproving God's existence using physics.

Quote Nobody can say that god doesn't exist, or that god does exist. You can't prove it either way. But you can say that it's either plausible or implausible.

Exactly what I believe. This is what this discussion is about.

I think we should talk about what/who God is.

Martin, from what I understand, you seem to think it is impossible for a being (God) to exist independent from space, time, the whole universe. Couldn't God be something, or someone, which ever you prefer, who created the universe, and is independent from the laws of physics, the universe, and is free to intervene in any way in the universe? It looks as if you believe there is no existence "outside" the universe (creation?).

Why is it impossible for God to have used "magic" to create (or set into action everything which has created the universe, and written history) the universe? Perhaps this is the only solution? Maybe god really is a being independent of this 'realm' we know as the universe. Infinite in a way I guess.

Maybe it is, as I said earlier, impossible to prove God's existence? Maybe that's why they call if faith?

I hope you understand by now from our discussion why I believe the answer (if there is one) lies in physics, rather than any of the other amazing things we observe (whether it be evolution, biology etc etc). Or do you want me to elaborate?

I'd be interested in your views guys, this is by far the best topic we've discussed so far. . 
ʎɐqǝ uo pɹɐoqʎǝʞ ɐ ʎnq ı ǝɯıʇ ʇsɐן ǝɥʇ sı sıɥʇ
MartinW View Drop Down
Moderator in Command
Moderator in Command

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MartinW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Apr 2008 at 3:42pm

Quote I disagree. I reckon you're thinking too subjectively there. You have to ignore what will happen in practice. If you ignore experimental error, you can an experiement to be 'perfect', in that every observation and result it produces, is 100% correct. The problem is there is not only one type of result, but many. Some may agree with theory, some may not. In my example 1000 did, 1 did not. If you still disagree, then all I can say is I recalled this idea from a book I read (it may have been a Brief History of Time), so that's the opinion of 2 people vs 1 Martin.

Odai... that's bonkers. Utter nonsense. It's not subjective at all, it's totally 'objective. It's not related to one person’s opinion; it's related to the consensus. Science never regards a theory as valid if there is only one positive result in a thousand. That would be crazy.

Of course some may agree with a theory and some may not, that’s precisely why the common consensus is important and regarded as more likely to be fact. There have been occasions in the past where the majority were wrong and the individual right, Galileo for example, and guess who the majority were... the church, say no more.

Nobody can say that god doesn't exist, or that god does exist. You can't prove it either way. But you can say that it's either plausible or implausible.

Exactly what I believe. This is what this discussion is about.

Then you have to believe that the implausible concept [gods existence] is highly implausible and extremely likely to be untrue.

Quote Martin, from what I understand, you seem to think it is impossible for a being (God) to exist independent from space, time, the whole universe. Couldn't God be something, or someone, which ever you prefer, who created the universe, and is independent from the laws of physics, the universe, and is free to intervene in any way in the universe? It looks as if you believe there is no existence "outside" the universe (creation?).

I've never said it was impossible; in fact I have gone to great pains to make it clear that the existence of god can't be definitively proven or disproven. It is a highly implausible concept though.

If a being was independent form the laws of physics, they would be our laws that it was independent of, but there would still be fundamental laws that governed his reality. So who created him and his reality??? Another god in another reality perhaps Odai, add infinatum. You could go on like that forever. There is a much simpler explanation... he doesn’t exist, after all there is no proof, and if there is no proof then it's a invented concept.

Quote Why is it impossible for God to have used "magic"

Because MAGIC is precisely that, it doesn't obey any fundamental rules; it's not a product of reality. It can have no rational explanation or causal nature. There is an explanation for everything, whether we currently know it or not. Magic by its very definition doesn’t require an explanation.

Quote Maybe it is, as I said earlier, impossible to prove God's existence? Maybe that's why they call if faith?

Indeed, blind faith. I could believe in an entity that lived in the centre of the sun made of cheese, but my faith wouldn't make it any more plausible.

Your pretension and condescending tone's amusing these days Odai. Pity you talk rubbish. Big%20smile

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
  Share Topic