This forum is in read-only mode for archive purposes, please use our new forum at https://community.justflight.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Just Chat > Just Chat - General Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

God and Physics

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dambuster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Apr 2008 at 8:49pm
Wow, you guys got a lot of free time... Hey, Einstein said, we don't know what the initial spark was... what caused it etc...
MartinW View Drop Down
Moderator in Command
Moderator in Command

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MartinW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Apr 2008 at 8:50pm
Got some theories if you like Dampsquidfromtheocean.
Martyn View Drop Down
Just Flight Staff
Just Flight Staff
Development Manager

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Martyn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Apr 2008 at 8:53pm
Sorry to butt in, however all of you may enjoy this interview. A great example of how two mature adults with very conflicting views can hold a balanced debate regarding Religion/Science:

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=2367986806557811071
Martyn
Just Flight Ltd
MartinW View Drop Down
Moderator in Command
Moderator in Command

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MartinW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Apr 2008 at 8:58pm
No, no MartYn, don't you worry about butting in, after all it was you that encouraged us to have this debate... and then you ran away giggling. Shocked

I'm just giving it three weeks to stream. Sleepy

Ah Dawking, I love that man. Brain the size of a planet. Heart

It doesn't want to play ball, I'll give up until Pointy stops hogging all the bandwidth with his fellow conspiracy pals.
VulcanB2 View Drop Down
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VulcanB2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Apr 2008 at 9:14pm
Quote It doesn't want to play ball

???

Best regards,
Vulcan.
Flightboy View Drop Down
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Flightboy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Apr 2008 at 10:02pm
Isnt everyones idea on why we came to be  just a theory?

Flightboy
VulcanB2 View Drop Down
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VulcanB2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Apr 2008 at 10:39pm
Ahh... some theories are more equal than others! Wink

We don't know that science is totally correct; it seems to work, but we can't be entirely sure.

Best regards,
Vulcan.
MartinW View Drop Down
Moderator in Command
Moderator in Command

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MartinW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Apr 2008 at 8:54am

It depends on what you mean by 'how we came to be'.

Biologically, evolution is difficult to deny, although like all of the sciences we learn all the time. We are constantly striving to understand better, inexorably edging toward the full picture.

As for the universe and where it came from, then there are a number of theories. It’s pretty much for sure that the universe began from a singularity, an incredibly dense and microscopic point. From there the universe expanded, this is well supported by several independent observations. So where did the singularity come from?

M-theory gives us a possible explanation. Imagine our universe as just one in a multitude of others, floating in higher dimensional space. [Hyperspace] Our universe or brane, would exist on the outer membrane of this bubble universe. The brane would also ripple according to calculations. And when one brain impacts another the resulting collision and release of energy would form another universe, another big bang in other words.

Sounds fantastical doesn't it, but M-theory functions beautifully in conjunction with string theory, in fact string theory and M-theory are now more or less the sane thing the calculations of one complimenting the other. It works mathematically, it makes sense, but proving it is another matter. Some have suggested that if you can’t prove M-theory then it is philosophy rather than hard science; however there are experiments in the pipeline that could do just that, prove that other universes floating in hyperspace are indeed a reality. It would also explain the weirdness of quantum physics.

Flightboy View Drop Down
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Flightboy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Apr 2008 at 12:05pm
Originally posted by MartinW MartinW wrote:

It depends on what you mean by 'how we came to be'.

Biologically, evolution is difficult to deny, although like all of the sciences we learn all the time. We are constantly striving to understand better, inexorably edging toward the full picture.

As for the universe and where it came from, then there are a number of theories. It’s pretty much for sure that the universe began from a singularity, an incredibly dense and microscopic point. From there the universe expanded, this is well supported by several independent observations. So where did the singularity come from?

M-theory gives us a possible explanation. Imagine our universe as just one in a multitude of others, floating in higher dimensional space. [Hyperspace] Our universe or brane, would exist on the outer membrane of this bubble universe. The brane would also ripple according to calculations. And when one brain impacts another the resulting collision and release of energy would form another universe, another big bang in other words.

Sounds fantastical doesn't it, but M-theory functions beautifully in conjunction with string theory, in fact string theory and M-theory are now more or less the sane thing the calculations of one complimenting the other. It works mathematically, it makes sense, but proving it is another matter. Some have suggested that if you can’t prove M-theory then it is philosophy rather than hard science; however there are experiments in the pipeline that could do just that, prove that other universes floating in hyperspace are indeed a reality. It would also explain the weirdness of quantum physics.

So its just a theory that makes more sense . dosnt make it true tho Tongue just to add im in a intresting position! i do not belive in god norr do i disbelieve but i think everything cant be explained by science and im sure you would agree martin a world without unkowns would be kinda boring!TongueTongue

Flightboy
MartinW View Drop Down
Moderator in Command
Moderator in Command

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MartinW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Apr 2008 at 1:11pm

Quote So its just a theory that makes more sense . dosnt make it true tho

No of course not, there is a number of hypothesis, they don't become regarded as fact until proven to be so. Theories are always fine tuned, we know pretty much that something is so, but we continue to fine tune the theory for a better understanding. When the LHC fires up we could well find evidence that does suggest it's true. Or evidence that discounts it as a viable theory.

This idea of 'truth' is something that should be better considered, we can never know with absolute certainty that anything is 'true' but we can be 99.99999% sure it's true.

Quote just to add im in a intresting position! i do not belive in god norr do i disbelieve but i think everything cant be explained by science and im sure you would agree martin a world without unkowns would be kinda boring!

Everything has an explanation, of course it does, there is such a thing as cause and effect... unless you believe in magic and the supernatural and that things just happen for no reason at all.

I would agree that humankind will always have some things that it is yet to find an answer for, ultimate knowledge is a tall order... unless we become gods. Wink

Odai View Drop Down
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Odai Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Apr 2008 at 1:38pm
Just to add to what Martin said:

A problem we have is that if you were to take a theory; and test it over and over and over, many many times, and each observation repeatedly agrees with the predictions the theory makes, you still cannot be 100% sure the theory is correct. This is because, for example, if you were to test a theory 1000 times, and each time you proved the theory correct, you can never be sure experiment 1001 will not prove the theory wrong.

On the other hand however, you only ever need 1 observation/test to disagree with theory to prove it wrong. This is obviously a considerable issue!

Back to topic now, before we lose sight of what we started on in the first place. .

I'm sure Martin is absolutely dying to hear what I have to say next, but he will have to be patient and wait until later on in the day for now, I am busy. Tongue
ʎɐqǝ uo pɹɐoqʎǝʞ ɐ ʎnq ı ǝɯıʇ ʇsɐן ǝɥʇ sı sıɥʇ
MartinW View Drop Down
Moderator in Command
Moderator in Command

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MartinW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Apr 2008 at 3:14pm
Quote A problem we have is that if you were to take a theory; and test it over and over and over, many many times, and each observation repeatedly agrees with the predictions the theory makes, you still cannot be 100% sure the theory is correct. This is because, for example, if you were to test a theory 1000 times, and each time you proved the theory correct, you can never be sure experiment 1001 will not prove the theory wrong.

On the other hand however, you only ever need 1 observation/test to disagree with theory to prove it wrong. This is obviously a considerable issue!
No,  if one experiment sheds doubt on a theory it's not proven as wrong. One experiment in favour or one not is irrelevant, only many experiments and the majority suggesting something is valid or invalid is relevant.

The 1001st experiment thats negative would be discarded in favour of the vast amount of data that suggested the concept was valid... unless in time more data followed that overwhelmed the positive outcome. 
Bloody Mary View Drop Down
Check-In Staff
Check-In Staff

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bloody Mary Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Apr 2008 at 4:16pm
Originally posted by RAS RAS wrote:

I would very strongly advise you to go and get hold of a copy of The God Delusion by Richard Dawkings. Probably the most interesting book I've ever come across and something everyone should read, both the religious and non-religious amongst us.

it's not Dawkings, it's Dawkins, kinda sad that you don't even know name of author who's book you call "the most interesting you have ever came across"

this guys a big kid anyway. he was like 10 years old when he started to believe in God and then, being 15 or 16 years old he suddenly called himself an atheist. I would never trust in words of someone as that gay. Belief isn't about understanding or proving. It's about feeling it deep inside your heart..
Rich View Drop Down
Just Flight Staff
Just Flight Staff

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rich Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Apr 2008 at 4:21pm
Quote I would never trust in words of someone as that gay.

My sincerest apologies for the typo,  Ms Pot Wink

Rgds
The Kettle

Flightboy View Drop Down
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Flightboy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Apr 2008 at 4:46pm
Originally posted by RAS RAS wrote:

Quote I would never trust in words of someone as that gay.

My sincerest apologies for the typo,  Ms Pot Wink

Rgds
The Kettle

Isnt that the new lingo on the street RAS! for example...

"martin stop being so gay" or "this phone is acting gay" totally off topic but i find it oddly humerous to hear young kids in the street say it .

Flightboy
Rich View Drop Down
Just Flight Staff
Just Flight Staff

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rich Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Apr 2008 at 4:55pm
I suppose "I would never trust in words of someone that gay" or "I would never trust in words of someone who's that gay" would be a coherent sentence, I just thought it was a little rich to point out my typo at the exact same time they made one themselves Clap

'Tis true. "Gay" has become slang for something being rubbish etc. I'm not totally convinced it has evolved innocently but on the other hand it's just as amusing when the gay community complain that "their" word has been corrupted .  I thought they were just saying that their phone was feeling happy   
MartinW View Drop Down
Moderator in Command
Moderator in Command

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MartinW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Apr 2008 at 5:44pm
No comment on Miss/Mrs Bloody Mary's contribution, the content says it all really.

Second thoughts... I will say this:

Quote Belief isn't about understanding or proving. It's about feeling it deep inside your heart..

Really, so if I feel deep inside my heart that Ras is really an alien entity from Setnus Prime, then it's a valid hypothesis then.

Hmmm... some people believe, 'deep in their heart' some quite preposterous concepts, so they must be true then.

Actually 'feelings' are psychosomatic responses to our environment, they evolved so that we may better defend ourselves, procreate etc. they tell us absolutely nothing about the true nature of reality.

Sorry and please don't get irritated by a difference of opinion but to me the concept is... gay.
Rich View Drop Down
Just Flight Staff
Just Flight Staff

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rich Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Apr 2008 at 7:48pm
BloodyMary - your time on this forum has been short and not very sweet!

Suspended!
Martyn View Drop Down
Just Flight Staff
Just Flight Staff
Development Manager

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Martyn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Apr 2008 at 8:51am
I have deleted all the posts relating to BloodyMary's reply, as well as her post. As we have banned her I.P, I think its safe to continue with this discussion. Its been a very mature debate so far and its evident that other people wish to contribute, so nows your chance.

I'm sure (I hope) we won't have a repeat performance. I will leave RAS' post as a warning to anyone else wanting to 'stir' things up Smile

Feel free to get back to the debate now
Martyn
Just Flight Ltd
MartinW View Drop Down
Moderator in Command
Moderator in Command

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MartinW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Apr 2008 at 4:06pm
You first MartY!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
  Share Topic