This forum is in read-only mode for archive purposes, please use our new forum at https://community.justflight.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Just Flight Products > DC-8 Jetliner Series 10 through 70
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

How do you use the autopilot?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Ground Crew
Ground Crew

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ftwd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: How do you use the autopilot?
    Posted: 24 Jul 2014 at 1:07pm
Just seeing how different people are getting results out of the autopilot.

What works for me is, after take off, I use the mouse to engage the Yaw Damper. When I'm ready to stop hand flying, I use the keyboard comand "Z" to engage the autopilot. I then use the mouse to select heading or Nav. To climb, I leave the autopilot in VS and then hovering over the v speed wheel, I centre mouse click as if I was putting on the alt hold function. Then when I move the vertical speed wheel, the autopilot sets the v speed. The only thing is, when I get to the altitude I need, I have to leave the v speed wheel set at zero as the centre mouse click won't hold the altitude for me. This just means that I have to readjust every now and then to return the plane to the altitude I want. Not quite what's in the manual, but I find it works for me.

What works for you?

Cheers,

Nathan
ftwd View Drop Down
Ground Crew
Ground Crew

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ftwd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jul 2014 at 1:14pm
Also if a developer could answer a question for me? What version of FSX was the DC-8 designed/tested with? FSX sp2 or FSX ACCELERATION?

The reason I ask is, another manufacturer's 737 has a lot of autopilot problems for some and not for others. It turns out, if you are not running acceleration you have problems and if you are, you don't. I used to fly sp2 only and had all the reported problems and after purchasing Acceleration and following the uninstall of sp2 and installing acceleration, I no longer had the issues.

Could it be that if the DC-8 was developed using sp2 only, that people running Acceleration end up having issues with the autopilot? Just wondering that's all.

Cheers,

Nathan.

ps: I just love this plane!
Scotty View Drop Down
Just Flight Staff
Just Flight Staff

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Scotty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Aug 2014 at 5:07pm
Originally posted by ftwd ftwd wrote:

Also if a developer could answer a question for me? What version of FSX was the DC-8 designed/tested with? FSX sp2 or FSX ACCELERATION?

The reason I ask is, another manufacturer's 737 has a lot of autopilot problems for some and not for others. It turns out, if you are not running acceleration you have problems and if you are, you don't. I used to fly sp2 only and had all the reported problems and after purchasing Acceleration and following the uninstall of sp2 and installing acceleration, I no longer had the issues.

Could it be that if the DC-8 was developed using sp2 only, that people running Acceleration end up having issues with the autopilot? Just wondering that's all.

Cheers,

Nathan.

ps: I just love this plane!

Acceleration includes FSX SP2. I would reccomend Acceleration as it was the last update for FSX.
Scotty

Just Flight Ltd.
ftwd View Drop Down
Ground Crew
Ground Crew

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ftwd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Aug 2014 at 12:17am
Thanks Scotty,

Having changed over a while ago, I haven't looked back

Cheers for your reply,

Nathan.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic