This forum is in read-only mode for archive purposes, please use our new forum at https://community.justflight.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Just Flight Products > Traffic 360
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Has anyone tried Traffic 3D sounds?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Ground Crew
Ground Crew

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote quick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Has anyone tried Traffic 3D sounds?
    Posted: 18 Jul 2014 at 6:20pm
http://www.flightsim.com/vbfs/content.php?15015-Alan-Constable-The-New-Traffic3D_Sounds

Anyone tried it for T360?
RayM View Drop Down
First Officer
First Officer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RayM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jul 2014 at 6:30pm
As a matter of fact, I have tried it in the last few days. I received an EXE file which I assumed would do a tidy installation and improve the sounds.
Unfortunately I got a very poor installation as it loaded sounds for all sorts of AI programs including Traffic 360 and X (which is what I want it for). The help files/manual finished up in my Addon Scenery folders!
Don't get me wrong, I am sure the sounds, when I get them sorted out, will be better but beware the installation!
I am in communication with the author (AC) and am hoping to get my system sorted fairly soon.
A long time FSXA and Traffic X user
freddy View Drop Down
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote freddy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jul 2014 at 3:18am
Ray,

Bummer about the installer.

Remembering that Traffic X (and Traffic 360) uses, by default, sounds done by Alan Constable, I eagerly await your "review"/"report" after you get your system sorted.

Alan's sounds are indeed a great enhancement over the default FSX sounds, so this new Traffic 3D does hold some interest.
quick View Drop Down
Ground Crew
Ground Crew

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote quick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jul 2014 at 12:08am
Yikes RayM. Thats what I was worried about. I have enough headaches already. Man I hope a proper installed will come to light soon. It seems this should have been tested better before release. Please let us know how you make out with communication with the author. I am sure the sounds are very good. Like Freddy said, Alan already does the sounds....hmmmm..makes me wonder if they're going to be the same as comes with TrafficX Traffic360

As with Freddy, I await your report too. A couple reviews said it was great but nothing was mentioned about install nightmares. I imagine uninstalling would require a lot of manual operations.

Best of luck people.........
freddy View Drop Down
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote freddy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jul 2014 at 10:05am

I found the following post on the simFlight Forums:

Direct link: Installing Traffic 3D Sounds

--------------------------------------------------------
Here is a copy of that post:

Installing Traffic 3D Sounds

Originally posted by Rackie Rackie wrote:

Hello, I use JustFlight Traffic 360. Is installing Traffic 3d Sounds fully automatic? That is, I don't have to copy or move files around or edit files/cfgs? Just install and thats it? Is there an uninstall program for Traffic 3d that returns everything back to how it was before installing 3d sounds?
Originally posted by aconstable aconstable wrote:

Hello Rackie, You will be wasting your money buying Traffic3D_Sounds, as I have updated Traffic360 Sounds on their website, you can get it if you send JustFlight an email. The new Traffic 360 sounds will be the same sound set as Traffic3D_Sounds!
Regards,
Alan

RayM View Drop Down
First Officer
First Officer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RayM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jul 2014 at 2:30pm
So it looks as if Traffic 360 users should be OK if they can upgrade by getting the latest files from Just Flight.
I wonder if the same files would do for Traffic X as well - for people like myself (and Freddy?) who are trying not to upgrade to 360 as we have done so much work within Traffic X that would all need doing again if we upgraded?
As a result of the bad installation I got from the EXE file I received, I used a recent backup copy of my FSX installation to get back to normality. After discussions with Alan, I put the relevant new folder into my FSX setup. I didn't get as far as checking the new sounds as I found that, with the new folder, my ATR and Dash 8 aircraft exhibited solid black propeller disks (which they didn't before). Reverting to the original folder got rid of this effect - I am probably going to give up on these files.
On the subject of TrafficX/360 sounds, I had a problem a while back when my sound effects 'disappeared'. All I got was very simple noises of engines but not much else. On reading around, it was suggested that in the FSX.CFG file, there is an entry "Sound_LOD= ". A value of '1' results in the 'simple' sounds whilst a value of '0' results in the 'full' sounds. My value was set to '1' (don't know why). Set it to '0' and got my sound effects back. Has anyone else had this experience?
RayM View Drop Down
First Officer
First Officer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RayM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jul 2014 at 2:33pm
As a matter of interest, can someone who has received an upgrade from Just Flight for the traffic sounds tell me in what form the files are received?
Do you get a 'self-installing' program or do you get a folder which you drop into the correct place in your fsx files system?
freddy View Drop Down
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote freddy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jul 2014 at 2:22am
Originally posted by RayM RayM wrote:

I wonder if the same files would do for Traffic X as well - for people like myself (and Freddy?) who are trying not to upgrade to 360 as we have done so much work within Traffic X that would all need doing again if we upgraded?

Yep, I am still sticking with Traffic X after all my hard work. Way too much work done with Traffic X to warrant starting over.

Originally posted by RayM RayM wrote:

On the subject of TrafficX/360 sounds, I had a problem a while back when my sound effects 'disappeared'. All I got was very simple noises of engines but not much else. On reading around, it was suggested that in the FSX.CFG file, there is an entry "Sound_LOD= ". A value of '1' results in the 'simple' sounds whilst a value of '0' results in the 'full' sounds. My value was set to '1' (don't know why). Set it to '0' and got my sound effects back. Has anyone else had this experience?

Yes, I have had this happen to me. It happened after I was experimenting with some FSX tweaks and as part of that process I "reset" my FSX.cfg file (ie, deleted it and let FSX create a fresh new one). I found out about "sound_LOD" by doing a Google search which lead to related discussions and posts on various forums. This parameter apparently tells FSX whether (or not) to use the sound files in the AI aircraft\soundsai folder, instead of using the default sounds that FSX provides. Set it to '0' and voila, 'full' (Traffic X) sounds were restored. If you look around (forum searches) you will also find Alan Constable mentions this parameter a few times in some of his support posts.
RayM View Drop Down
First Officer
First Officer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RayM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jul 2014 at 9:24am
Freddy,

it is 'good' to hear that someone else has been thru the same problem as I have re "Sound_LOD". There are probably various reasons why it gets changed to a value of '1'. Hopefully now that the problem has ben solved I will recognise it next time.
quick View Drop Down
Ground Crew
Ground Crew

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote quick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jul 2014 at 4:40pm
Cool. I'm gonna email JF and ask about getting the sounds update!
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic