This forum is in read-only mode for archive purposes, please use our new forum at https://community.justflight.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Just Flight Products > Traffic X / Traffic / Traffic 2005
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

AI Traffic websites FSX Traffic X

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Check-In Staff
Check-In Staff

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mtaydus007 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: AI Traffic websites FSX Traffic X
    Posted: 12 Jun 2014 at 4:45am
I own Traffic X on Windows 7 for FSX and I'm looking for a good website that automatically updates every active airline's timetables.  Where is a good place to download/create them for Traffic X? I want to add the realistic traffic without going through every airline's timetable because it will take a long time.
freddy View Drop Down
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote freddy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jun 2014 at 1:20am
Even if you find such a website, there's no functionality or options in Traffic X to "import" the schedules.

Each airline in Traffic X has its own separate .tcc file. For starters, the website would need to provide the data in the same format that the .tcc file expects ... or ... the website would need to allow you to save/export the data as an actual .tcc file. And, because each airline has its own separate .tcc file, it would need to be able to do that for each separate airline (ie, each separate .tcc file). If that was possible, then it would merely be a matter of going to the website, saving/exporting the data in .tcc format, and then simply recompiling the AI traffic database. I don't know of any websites that, a) provide all of the world's airline schedules, and b) allow you save/export those schedules in Traffic X's .tcc format.

Now, that said, it is possible to open up a .tcc file in an ASCII text editor such as Notepad or Notepad++ (or your own choice of favourite ASCII text editor). Doing this, you can manually add/delete/edit the data. Another trick that I sometimes use is to change the .tcc file extension to .xls thus allowing me to open the file in Microsoft Excel. This makes it easier to view and edit the data. After doing my edits, I save the .xls file and then rename it back to .tcc. When doing all of this, one needs to take care NOT to change the FORMAT of the data the .tcc file contains (ie, take care that the saved file doesn't include additional commas, formatting, or other characters that the original .tcc file did not have in it).

But, let's get back to the possibility of having a website automatically do the work for you. There's also the matter that not every airline in the world is in Traffic X. The .tcc files are for airlines that Traffic X DOES have. But those .tcc files are only one piece of the puzzle. The "Master Airline List" is stored in other files. Not to mention the "Master Aircraft List". Both of which would also need to be updated for new airlines and aircraft, including deleting the obsolete airlines and aircraft. In other words, if you (or the webpage) need to add new airlines in to Traffic X, delete the obsolete airlines, add new aircraft, remove old aircraft, etc etc etc, then it's not just about the .tcc files ... there are also other files which will need to be worked on.

So, to summarize, even if you can find a website that has all of the world's schedules in it, I don't think it is possible to get that website to automatically update Traffic X for you; considering all the files that need to be updated, and in the format(s) that Traffic X requires. If you do want to do some updating of Traffic X, then it will need to be done inside Traffic X itself. Or, in an effort to speed up and reduce the time and workload required, you can open up the individual Traffic X files using an ASCII text editor or Microsoft Excel, taking care to ensure the files are saved again in the correct format as the original without the inclusion of extra commas and other unwanted characters etc. Remembering, of course, to take BACKUPS of the files before you do any work on them.

Finally, always remember that if you do happen to do any editing of the files and schedules, either in Traffic X itself, of manually using an external editor, then you MUST do a recompile of the AI traffic database for your changes to appear in FSX.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic