This forum is in read-only mode for archive purposes, please use our new forum at https://community.justflight.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Just Flight Products > Traffic 360
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

scenery cfg error after uninstall.

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Check-In Staff
Check-In Staff

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smokeyupahead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: scenery cfg error after uninstall.
    Posted: 03 May 2014 at 10:21pm
I get the following error after the uninstall:

"Errore nel file SCENERY.CFG. Impossibile trovare
 la directory di scenario locale
(JustFlight\Traffic360\AirportFacilities\SCENERY) nello
scenario Area.116. Scegliere OK per continuare."

How can i get rid of it? I can't find any reference to those folders...???
Help please!

Thanks,
David DD
freddy View Drop Down
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote freddy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 May 2014 at 12:59am
I am using Traffic X, not Traffic 360. But Traffic 360 and Traffic X are similar enough such that it should help me to GUESS or SUGGEST a possible solution ...

The "scenery.cfg" file is an FSX file and is located in the root Flight Simulator folder here: "C:\...\Flight Simulator X". By default, the scenery.cfg file references all of the folders in the "C:\...\Flight Simulator X\Scenery" folder (in other words, there should one entry in the scenery.cfg file for each folder in the "C:\...\Flight Simulator X\Scenery" folder). However, specialized scenery (downloaded or purchased) is normally not installed in the default FSX scenery folder, and therefore it is possible to sometimes find entries in the scenery.cfg file that point to the relevant folders for that specialized scenery.

For Traffic X, updated airport files (AFCADs), which have a .BGL file extension, are put in to this folder here: "C:\...\Flight Simulator X\JustFlight\TrafficX\AirportFacilities\Scenery".

I have opened my FSX scenery.cfg file and checked in it to see if any reference is made to the Traffic X "C:\...\Flight Simulator X\JustFlight\TrafficX\AirportFacilities\Scenery" folder ...

... and, nope, no reference is made to that folder.

So, it looks like there is no reason for any Traffic X reference to be in the scenery.cfg file. Logic might therefore suggest that, similarly, there is no reason for any Traffic 360 reference to be in the scenery.cfg file.

However, that is not to say that Traffic 360 includes scenery that Traffic X does not have ... meaning that there may indeed be a reason for Traffic 360 to have a valid entry in the scenery.cfg file.

The topic is about UNINSTALLING, so I gather you have uninstalled Traffic 360. The first thing for you to check, now that you have uninstalled, would be whether you still have a "C:\...\Flight Simulator X\JustFlight\Traffic360\AirportFacilities\Scenery" folder on your PC. (And your post implies that you do not.)

Therefore, given everything I've said above about there probably being no reason to have any Traffic X (Traffic 360) references in the scenery.cfg file, the solution is probably easy ... I'd suggest making a BACKUP copy of the scenery.cfg file and then opening it up in Notepad and simply REMOVING the entry that is causing the problem. Do NOT renumber anything in that file as the numbers relate to the FSX scenery folders and must therefore all match and be correct. After removing the entry, run FSX, and if there appear to be no ill effects then perhaps that is all you need to do.
smokeyupahead View Drop Down
Check-In Staff
Check-In Staff

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smokeyupahead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 May 2014 at 9:07am
Hi and thanks for taking the time to get back to me.
The thing is that there is no reference at all the to traffic360 in the scenery cfg, as a matter of fact there is no scenery numbered 116 but everytime I load fsx I get that error.
The only solution in the past was to reinstall it back, that prevented the error from popping up.

Thank you,
David
RayM View Drop Down
First Officer
First Officer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RayM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 May 2014 at 4:12pm
Freddy,
having read your comments about the "scenery.cfg" file, I have just looked at mine and I DO have any entry -

"[Area.128]
Title=Traffic X Airport Facilities
Local=JustFlight\TrafficX\AirportFacilities
Active=TRUE
Layer=115
Required=FALSE".

So in my case, I certainly do have a reference to the Traffic X scenery folder. I guess that Traffic 360 will be the same. For FSX to read the Traffic X/360 scenery files there must be an entry in scenery.cfg that indexes the folder where the BGL files are stored.
If Traffic 360 has not been uninstalled properly, the entry in the scenery.cfg file may still be there and could be removed manually, which I imagine will overcome the error message.
A long time FSXA and Traffic X user
RayM View Drop Down
First Officer
First Officer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RayM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 May 2014 at 4:19pm
Following on from my recent comments, I will repeat the advice that all users of FSX should be aware of - there seem to be several instances of files called "scenery.cfg" on a computer using FSX. The one you MUST look at will be in a folder similar to the following -

"C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\FSX\scenery.cfg".

This is the only one that FSX updates whenever scenery gets added or removed - you can check by looking at the file's time and date signature.
smokeyupahead View Drop Down
Check-In Staff
Check-In Staff

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smokeyupahead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 May 2014 at 6:27pm
Opps! I was looking in the wrong place. thank you Ray! Problem solved.
freddy View Drop Down
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote freddy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 May 2014 at 2:08am
Quote Following on from my recent comments, I will repeat the advice that all users of FSX should be aware of - there seem to be several instances of files called "scenery.cfg" on a computer using FSX. The one you MUST look at will be in a folder similar to the following -

"C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\FSX\scenery.cfg".

This is the only one that FSX updates whenever scenery gets added or removed - you can check by looking at the file's time and date signature.

Ahh. Well that then explains things ... I was looking in the FSX root folder, and not in ProgramData. My mistake.

And smokeyupahead has fixed the issue thanks to your post RayM.

Good stuff. Well done to all.
RayM View Drop Down
First Officer
First Officer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RayM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 May 2014 at 9:40am
Glad to have helped. It only goes to prove that when it comes to Traffic X/360 and FSX problems, someone somewhere will have had a similar problem and, hopefully, will be looking at these Forums in order to help sort out other users problems.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic