This forum is in read-only mode for archive purposes, please use our new forum at https://community.justflight.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Just Flight Products > Traffic 360
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Adding Traffic to an entire airport?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Check-In Staff
Check-In Staff

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote codee66 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Adding Traffic to an entire airport?
    Posted: 13 Apr 2014 at 10:15am
I just created a new airport and imported into Traffic 360, is there any quick way to add some AI to it without having to create each one individually? Part of the issue is I made a large airport, and that would be a lot of flight plans to create. Thanks for any help.
freddy View Drop Down
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote freddy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Apr 2014 at 11:25pm
Unfortunately, as far as I am aware, no, there is no "quick" way to do this. Adding flights individually is the only way to do it.

I think it would be similar to this ... I recently added a new 787 model and all of the respective liveries in to Traffic X. (I am using Traffic X, but Traffic 360 and Traffic X are similar enough for me to use Traffic X as an example.) In Traffic X (and I believe Traffic 360 as well) the 787 aircraft model was wrong (incorrect shape; using an early concept design), there were only a handful of 787 liveries, and there were even fewer flight plans ... so I searched for and downloaded an appropriate model and liveries. For each of those liveries, I had to individually add flights to/from the relevant airports all over the world. There simply wasn't an easier or better way to do what was required. The work took me a few days. Many airports and destinations. But now I have 787s, from all of the relevant airlines, flying in my skies, all over the globe, to/from the correct airports.

I think adding an entire airport will be similar. You'll simply need to individually add relevant flight plans for it.

Then again, for all I know, somebody else could reply and explain that there is indeed a better way. So I'll watch this space with interest.

Personally I don't mind doing that kind of work anyway as I find it fun and enjoyable. Especially at the end when you see the results of all of your work. It's a real sense of achievement.
codee66 View Drop Down
Check-In Staff
Check-In Staff

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote codee66 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Apr 2014 at 4:48am
Darn, I guess I should get started on it that way. Thanks for the info though, I'm still new at using 360, and haven't done any custom flight planning yet. 
freddy View Drop Down
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote freddy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Apr 2014 at 1:26am
Careful ... I found that once I got started working on flight plans and began seeing the planes I had added parked at the gates, taxiing, and taking off and landing at the airport(s), I quickly became addicted. I find that to have the ability to add/edit/modify and otherwise manipulate the planes and flight plans as you see fit is quite rewarding. Of course, that may not be the case for everybody, but, for me, it's a damn lot of fun and adds a whole new dimension to the flight sim "hobby".
codee66 View Drop Down
Check-In Staff
Check-In Staff

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote codee66 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Apr 2014 at 4:53am
I added a few last night, then compiled the flights plans, but I didn't see any planes at all... Hmm..
codee66 View Drop Down
Check-In Staff
Check-In Staff

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote codee66 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Apr 2014 at 5:05am
Also, in my flight plan list, I am unable to load the plans of many airlines, I was thinking of just editing some of them. I tried adding new, and hit Delta, but it ends up blank, with no airlines... http://i.imgur.com/5zc94HV.jpg
And the one that says unspecified is quiet a few airlines I've never heard of...
http://i.imgur.com/t0ytUFM.jpg
freddy View Drop Down
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote freddy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Apr 2014 at 8:29am
As I have Traffic X, and not Traffic 360, I am unable to help with the blank Delta Airlines screen that you see.

"Unspecified Carrier" is indeed for airlines/planes that do not appear in the usual lists and headings of airlines. In other words, if you have a plane from an airline that you can't find listed in Traffic 360's normal airline list (ie, there's nowhere for you to put it), then you would put that airline/plane in to the "Unspecified Carrier" area.

If you add plans and then COMPILE (most folks do forget to do the Compile), then it should just work. You do of course need to close and re-run FSX (well, it should of course be closed BEFORE you do your Compile) ...

Some things to be aware of ...

Note that after a compile, when you run FSX, you should initially see a percentage bar on the screen as FSX notices that there has been a database change and loads in the new details. Did you see that?

Considering you are working on/with a new airport, it could be that the planes you are adding flight plans for are not able to park at that airport because the parking parameters for the various parking spots at the airport are not correct (ie, they are too small and cannot accommodate aircraft with large wing spans, or they are RAMP parking spots instead of GATE parking spots, etc). I would therefore suggest you try adding a flight plan for, say, a Cessna at a small regional airport (one that does not have a lot of existing planes, but does have empty parking spots which are free and available). If you do that, compile, and it DOES work (ie, you see your Cessna at that airport), then you can be confident that you are doing things correctly.

Also note that, if Traffic 360 is similar to Traffic X, the compile will add a RANDOM traffic percentage number to your plane. If your FSX traffic percentage slider setting is higher than this number, then you will not see your plane in FSX. So, you may need to compile again, which will assign a new random traffic percentage number to the plane (and, hopefully this time, it will be one that is LESS than your traffic percentage slider setting in FSX). Or, (easier), a way to "cheat" this would be to simply set the FSX traffic slider percentage to 100%. That will "guarantee" that your plane will appear, regardless of whatever randomly assigned traffic percentage number it gets given. Then, later, you can set the FSX traffic percentage slider back down to where you normally have it and see if the plane STILL appears.

I wish I could help more than that. But, as I said, I have Traffic X, not Traffic 360. So I am unable to suggest much more than merely the above. Still, that's a few helpful tips for you there.

Hopefully someone else can give clues as to why Delta is not showing planes etc. And hopefully armed with these tips, you can get your compile to work. Or, if you cannot solve it, then maybe you should consider contacting Just Flight Support via the appropriate channels.
codee66 View Drop Down
Check-In Staff
Check-In Staff

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote codee66 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Apr 2014 at 8:34am
Sorry. That got double posted.
codee66 View Drop Down
Check-In Staff
Check-In Staff

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote codee66 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Apr 2014 at 8:35am
Alright, I'll have to try that tomorrow. I've been putting my flight plans into the unspecified list, so I'm not sure if that could be a reason as well..
It's not just Delta, I can't access any of the other airlines flight plans...
 Also, I cant find a single American Airlines plane to add in to my flight plans, which seems pretty odd.
freddy View Drop Down
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote freddy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Apr 2014 at 8:41am
Whether you put them in to "Unspecified Carrier", or not, they should still work. Although, that said, it's best practice and makes sense to put Delta planes in to the Delta Airlines list, and American planes in to the American Airlines list, etc etc etc. However, if you've got more than one airline not showing planes, then that doesn't sound right. I think it might be a good idea for you to contact Just Flight Support to ensure that things are all installed as they should be. It can't hurt just to be sure.
codee66 View Drop Down
Check-In Staff
Check-In Staff

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote codee66 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Apr 2014 at 8:32pm
Sounds good, thanks for the help.. I'll post again with some answers.
codee66 View Drop Down
Check-In Staff
Check-In Staff

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote codee66 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Apr 2014 at 7:08am
Still nothing in terms of traffic, I've added 30+ flights so far. I've got the parking as a gate in ADE, looking at the Airport information part, it shows a count of all of the parking spaces I have set...And when I load up FSX after compiling it, I compile it as a file named traffic360 in the default area that it sends me to when I press the Compile button.. Also tried adding a few new planes to stock airports like KBFI and they didnt show up either.
freddy View Drop Down
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote freddy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Apr 2014 at 2:33am
Compiled traffic files for FSX usually go in to the "C:\...\Flight Simulator X\Scenery\World\Scenery" folder. Check that your newly compiled .BGL file is going in to that folder (check the date/time stamp for the file to make sure it is today's date and time). If you've taken a backup first, then it is completely OK to "overwrite" the existing Traffic360.BGL file with the newly compiled one.

When running FSX to see if your planes appear, try setting your traffic percentage slider in FSX to 100%. I had edited my post above to include a few more "pointers" and things to be aware of. You might not have seen that edited post and therefore may want to re-read it again in case you missed anything. The traffic percentage slider tip was something I added when I did my post edits.

Also mentioned in my post above is what you should expect to see after you compile and then run FSX. You should see a percentage slider BEFORE the sim loads, showing that it acknowledges a database change has occurred and is loading that in. Are you seeing that? (Not seeing that could be a clue that your newly compiled .BGL file is not being put in to the correct location for FSX to "see" it ... ie, the "C:\...\Flight Simulator X\Scenery\World\Scenery" folder I mentioned above.)
codee66 View Drop Down
Check-In Staff
Check-In Staff

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote codee66 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Apr 2014 at 4:18am
Edit. I feel stupid... I didn't know that the exe window that pops up was the compiler itself... I assumed that when it said "File Saved" that meant it was compiled...
freddy View Drop Down
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote freddy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Apr 2014 at 5:23am
Hehe. I assume Traffic 360 would be similar/same to Traffic X (if it's using the FSX compiler files, as Traffic X does, then it will be the same) ...

... So the compile process will be complete AFTER you see a DOS window, which will remain on the screen for a while (with nothing in it), before eventually disappearing. After that DOS window disappears, Traffic X shows the word "Finished" on the Traffic X screen. That's when the compile is done. That's how it is for Traffic X. Traffic 360? Probably the same or similar.

So, if you've now worked that out ... ... then you should be good to go.

Your last post sounds like you've now got it working?
codee66 View Drop Down
Check-In Staff
Check-In Staff

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote codee66 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Apr 2014 at 6:44am
Yes I did! Just have a long road of addind flight plans to go... I've only seen one plane at my airport thusfar, with 41 plans added... lol
freddy View Drop Down
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote freddy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Apr 2014 at 6:58am
41 flight plans, but only one plane? If they are all to/from the same airport, then something doesn't sound right. I'd expect, for 41 flight plans, to see at least 33% to 50% of those planes at the airport (so about 13 to 20 planes), even coming from various far away locations. (Of course that would depend on your departure and arrival times.) But, the fact you do have 1 plane is indeed a start ... and shows that you are doing something right. Remember my tip to set FSX's traffic slider percentage to 100% when looking for planes at your airport.
codee66 View Drop Down
Check-In Staff
Check-In Staff

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote codee66 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Apr 2014 at 7:02am
I've got it at 100%, I've only loaded it twice, and only flew over the airport once each time though, didn't wait a few minutes to see if a few were flying in... And I've got them going to different airports. Is it better for every flight to be going to the same place?
freddy View Drop Down
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote freddy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Apr 2014 at 7:22am
Ah. I see. That sounds right then. A lot will also depend on the parking spots (Gates, Ramps, etc) and the size of the planes that you are setting up to go to and fly from the airport. If the planes are "too big" (wingspan too large) for the size of the parking spots, then those planes simply won't appear at the airport when you load FSX (spots are not large enough for them to be parked at), or, they will land and then just "vanish" in to thin air (because, similarly, there is nowhere for them to park). So keep that in mind as well. The planes that you set for the airport, must all be able to "park" at the airport. Another way of looking at it is this: it's no good sending a 747 to an airport that only has spots large enough for Regional Jets. Another example would be a 737 which needs a GATE parking spot, and therefore cannot appear if there are only RAMP parking spots available.

As for is it better for every flight to be going to the same place ... well, that all depends on what YOU want to achieve. For a brand new airport, I'd set planes to fly *TO* that airport from a lot of different locations. But, I'd also set up planes to fly *FROM* that airport as well. Exactly as it would work in the real world. About 50/50 is a good rule, but 60/40 or 40/60 works too. It just depends on what YOU want to do and how you want the airport to work.

Instead of flying over the airport to see if planes are there, I just load up FSX and park MYSELF (the USER PLANE) at that airport. Then I use external views to look around the airport, or the right-click menu to view the traffic.
codee66 View Drop Down
Check-In Staff
Check-In Staff

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote codee66 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Apr 2014 at 7:32am
Ahhh... I've only been setting plans for planes being based at my airport so far.
I've got a lot of heavy gates, and theres some space between them. I could add a bit of heavy ramp parking if theres not enough room at the gates. 
Too bad theres no way to add some random flights to the airport, as well as flightplans I made myself.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic