This forum is in read-only mode for archive purposes, please use our new forum at https://community.justflight.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Just Flight Products > English Electric Canberra PR.9
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Night Flight & Fatal Errors

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
P/UT
P/UT

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WarHorse47 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Night Flight & Fatal Errors
    Posted: 02 Apr 2014 at 3:26am
Last night I took the Canberra up for a short flight ending with a night landing. 

As I was on approach, I went to turn on the landing lights using the 2D panel.  The landing light switch would not activate the lights.  Instead it flopped up and down without stopping.  Confused

Opening up the 2D panel obscured my view of the runway and some of my instruments, and attempting to click the switch with my mouse distracted what I was doing with the joystick.  After running off the runway and coming to a stop near the freeway, I discovered that I could activate the landing lights with the switch in the VC.  I had no problem with the taxi lights.   Big smile

This morning I went to take a daylight flight in the Canberra and see if it was easier to switch my landing lights on/off using the VC instead of the 2D panel.  I ended up getting a Fatal Error and a restart of FSX upon loading the Canberra.  This happened several times.  I eventually had to load another aircraft, then switch to the Canberra to get flying again.

I'm not a programmer by any means, and the only thing I can think of is that there was something from my "previous flight" of last night that caused the "Fatal Error."  The first error reports referenced fsx.exe and g2d.dll as the source of the Fatal Errors.

--WH

g2d.dll

WarHorse47 View Drop Down
P/UT
P/UT

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WarHorse47 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Apr 2014 at 3:20am
After my episode from the previous evening, I was at it again today.

Through numerous attempts to load the Canberra, I continued to encounter Fatal Error messages and FSX restarts.  I finally did a complete uninstall and reinstall, and for the moment that seemed to work as I was able to finally fly again.

I decided to repeat my earlier night flight and was more successful on my landing.  There is still a problem with the landing lights.

After takeoff I turned off the taxi and landing lights, and only activated the navigation and gauge lights.  As I approached my destination, the landing lights would not turn on.  I used the VC switch this time.  I ended up pausing in flight and opening the 2D panel - turned on the taxi lights and cycled the landing lights (from on to off and back on again) - and I finally got the lights to work and made my landing.

Any suggestions or ideas??  Even a response from JF would be appreciated.  (Yes, a ticket has been sent.)

--WH
Delta558 View Drop Down
First Officer
First Officer

Just Flight FDE Developer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Delta558 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Apr 2014 at 9:18am
What speed are you trying to deploy the landing light at? Above a certain speed it will not deploy, also if not retracted by that speed after take-off it will automatically retract into the wing, leaving your switch incorrectly positioned: if that has happened you may need to make an extra switch selection to get yourself back in synch.
WarHorse47 View Drop Down
P/UT
P/UT

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WarHorse47 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Apr 2014 at 2:33pm
Ah.  Maybe that's my problem.

I'm aiming for 135 IAS on approach, but trying to turn on the landing lights much sooner and at a higher IAS.

I didn't see where the IAS threshold for the landing lights was mentioned in the manual, but then again I might have missed it.

Back to the tarmac.

--WH
DaveB View Drop Down
Check-In Staff
Check-In Staff

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DaveB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Apr 2014 at 2:06pm
I don't know what the landing light extension speed is for the Canberra but as an example, the max extension speed for the Vickers Vanguard is 160kts.. still quite high in the grand scale of things but lower than the main gear extension:-) I'd have thought a similar speed for the Canberra wouldn't be far off.
If you try and extend them at a higher speed (or indeed, leave them extended at a higher speed).. wind pressure forces them back into the wing and damages the light gearing;-)

ATB
DaveB:-)
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic