This forum is in read-only mode for archive purposes, please use our new forum at https://community.justflight.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Just Flight Products > English Electric Canberra PR.9
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Love it! Plus a few questions (FSX)...

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Ground Crew
Ground Crew

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MadRobbie1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Love it! Plus a few questions (FSX)...
    Posted: 01 Apr 2014 at 11:34pm
To all in the Just Flight crew:
The Canberra PR9 is a damn fine piece of work - glad I took the plunge and added it to my collection! Congratulations on your efforts

<cough>nowpleasedoaBuccaneerorJaguartothesamestandard<cough>

I do have a few questions though:

1) Would you likely consider a patch in the future to stop the auto power-up sequence whenever a flight session starts? (spoils it a little bit when you prefer starting from cold & dark). Shame to see that even when you save a flight in a cold & dark state, when you load it up to continue the auto power-up still kicks in.
Failing that, is there a setting/line value I can edit in a config file somewhere that will stop it from happening?

2) I've noticed that engine RPM fluctuates a lot while the throttles travel through lower RPM values (both increasing and decreasing settings). Even with slow and smooth movements of the throttles, the RPM bounces around like I'm jerking the throttles back and forth. Is this a feature/quirk of the Avon jet engine?
I've double-checked my hardware calibration (using a X52pro) and throttle functionality in default FSX aircraft and other JF products (like the Tristar, Tornado, Flying Club Duchess and DC-10), and I don't experience it in those.

3) When using the 2D panel pop-up activator (from the arrow in the top left of the screen), all the panels appear/hide ok apart from the electrical panel. I can only get this to appear if I do a keyboard shortcut (shift+1), but it re-sizes the main vc cockpit view rather than sits over the top of it like all the other panels (there is a large amount of black space around the 2D electrical panel too, but it does remain fully functional when visible). I can turn the panel 'off' using keyboard shortcut, and the main vc cockpit view resizes back to normal. I'm running at 1920x1080 with an Nvidia 9500GT if that's of any help to know.
Again, anything I can edit in a config file somewhere to fix this?

Aside from the above 3 points, I'm loving the Canberra. I really hope we'll see more JF products of this level.

Cheers!
Rob
Delta558 View Drop Down
First Officer
First Officer

Just Flight FDE Developer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Delta558 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Apr 2014 at 12:06am
Don't buy any cough mixture - I like the direction you're coughing!

I can only respond to the 2nd point, and yes - the Avon at lower power settings was not as smooth as you'd expect in today's environment. The front end of the engine has 'swirl vanes' which adjust according to the required airflow - they don't finish their movement until just above 90%rpm, and below that point they are 'attempting' to control the airflow into the engine. There are numerous references in the Pilots' Notes to careful use of the throttles at lower rpm, also when powering up against the brakes (to 90%rpm) you should hold and check both engines are stable and equal before releasing the brakes.
MadRobbie1 View Drop Down
Ground Crew
Ground Crew

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MadRobbie1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Apr 2014 at 12:28am
Originally posted by Delta558 Delta558 wrote:

...I can only respond to the 2nd point, and yes - the Avon at lower power settings was not as smooth as you'd expect in today's environment

Thank you Delta558, I was half expecting the reason to be down to the 'age of technology', so all is good there as far as I'm concerned.

I'll be adding some screenshots to illustrate the electrical 2D panel pop-up issue shortly.

Oh, and I have no intention of consuming any cough mixture, no matter how bad the affliction gets....

<cough>alsotheJavelinandtwinstickHunterandSeaVixenandJetProvost5<cough>

With any luck, I'm contagious

Cheers!
Rob
Ground Crew
Ground Crew

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MadRobbie1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Apr 2014 at 12:38am
Originally posted by MadRobbie1 MadRobbie1 wrote:

3) When using the 2D panel pop-up activator (from the arrow in the top left of the screen), all the panels appear/hide ok apart from the electrical panel. I can only get this to appear if I do a keyboard shortcut (shift+1), but it re-sizes the main vc cockpit view rather than sits over the top of it like all the other panels (there is a large amount of black space around the 2D electrical panel too, but it does remain fully functional when visible). I can turn the panel 'off' using keyboard shortcut, and the main vc cockpit view resizes back to normal. I'm running at 1920x1080 with an Nvidia 9500GT if that's of any help to know.
Again, anything I can edit in a config file somewhere to fix this?

This is what I get when I open the electrical panel 2D pop-up:

And this is how it looks before opening and after closing the 2D panel:

Any suggestions anyone?

Cheers!
Rob
Martyn View Drop Down
Just Flight Staff
Just Flight Staff
Development Manager

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Martyn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Apr 2014 at 3:02pm
Hi Rob,

If you haven't already done so, please drop a ticket to our support team: http://www.justflight.com/support-contact

Thanks
Martyn
Martyn
Just Flight Ltd
Ground Crew
Ground Crew

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MadRobbie1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Apr 2014 at 6:59pm
Originally posted by MadRobbie1 MadRobbie1 wrote:

Would you likely consider a patch in the future to stop the auto power-up sequence whenever a flight session starts?........Failing that, is there a setting/line value I can edit in a config file somewhere that will stop it from happening?

Thanks Martyn, ticket sent.
Can you comment on the above being possible?

Thanks!
Rob
Delta558 View Drop Down
First Officer
First Officer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Delta558 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Apr 2014 at 8:06pm
I've seen that re-sizing issue before - I'm almost certain it occurred with fs9 aircraft imported into fsx because of some mis-match in the sreen size, and there's a line in the .cfg file which could be edited. I'll have to do some digging.
Ground Crew
Ground Crew

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MadRobbie1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Apr 2014 at 10:39pm
OK, that's interesting to know. I find it odd that only the electrical panel has that effect - all the others work as advertised.

So, if it is down to a line in a cfg file *somewhere*, is it a case of comparing lines for panels that do work to the broken panel and finding the odd line out? (or is that hoping just a little to much for a simple answer/outcome?)

Look forward to seeing what you come up with!

Out of curiousity Delta, do you have the Canberra in your collection?

Thanks for your input so far -
Cheers!

Rob
Delta558 View Drop Down
First Officer
First Officer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Delta558 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Apr 2014 at 11:11pm
Yes, I do have it Rob.

I've not looked closely yet (only just found the thread) but this post at FSDeveloper appears to describe the same problem AND the solution:

Cheers,
Paul.
Delta558 View Drop Down
First Officer
First Officer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Delta558 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Apr 2014 at 11:29pm
Right then, a little reading and experimentation later:

Please bear in mind I do not have the problem you are seeing.
Please back up the file I'm going to ask you to alter, just in case.

Having said that, I've just made the addition to the file and all still works as it should in the brief test I ran, so you should be okay.

Go to your Canberra's Panel folder (FSX root directory / simobjects / airplanes / JF Canberra / panel).
Using notepad, open the 'panel.cfg' file.
Add the following at the very bottom of the page:

[Default View]
X=0
Y=0
SIZE_X=8192
SIZE_Y=6143

save the file, try it and see if it works (you're the guinea pig here, I can't tell if it will fix it myself because I didn't have the problem!)

Let us know how you get on,
Paul.
Ground Crew
Ground Crew

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MadRobbie1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Apr 2014 at 12:47am
Thanks for that Paul... well I gave it a shot and we're 50% there!

I can confirm that the 2D electrical panel now sits over the main view in both internal & external views as do all the other 2D panels without distorting the main view dimensions. I can make it appear/hide using the Shift+1 keyboard shortcut OK.

However, the 2D electrical panel still fails to appear/hide when selected via the panel selector up in the top left corner of the screen. All other 2D panels still work as advertised.

If the worst comes to the worst, I can live with this workaround... though I have every confidence that the JF crew will provide the missing piece of the puzzle regarding the panel selector

Now, if the auto power-up sequence can be discarded at the start of every flight session loading, I will be very, very happy

Many thanks Paul!
Cheers!

Rob
Ground Crew
Ground Crew

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MadRobbie1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Apr 2014 at 8:45pm
Paul, Martyn,

Well it's a funny old world! Paul, as I mentioned in my previous post, adding those lines to the panel config file worked as far as not distorting the main views - however selecting/closing the electrical panel is still impossible using the mouse and the 2D panel selector in the upper left corner.

Now Martyn - I've tried adding those files you gave me (backed up my originals first), and I'm sorry to say they have no effect whatsoever. I still can't open/hide the electrical 2D panel using the panel selector, and if I use the keyboard shortcut, the main view is again distorted but goes back to normal once the 2D electrical panel is closed.
As mentioned earlier, all other 2D panels work fine with no ill effects.

I've also found that I can save and reload a flight session with the Canberra OK (bar the insistance of the auto engine start kicking in) as long as I don't quit FSX in between flights.
If I quit FSX, then try to reload a saved flight with the Canberra, FSX suffers a fatal error (no error details given on screen) and restarts.
It will keep doing this with saved Canberra flights until I load a flight saved with a different aircraft (default stock or add-on) - then I can exit that flight immediately and load a saved Canberra flight without any issues (apart from the engines auto starting )

Looking forward to getting this fixed!

Cheers!
Rob
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic