This forum is in read-only mode for archive purposes, please use our new forum at https://community.justflight.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Just Chat > Hardware
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

ACTIVE SKY NEXT

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
P1
P1

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wain Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: ACTIVE SKY NEXT
    Posted: 01 Apr 2014 at 9:31am
Hi all
Thinking of upgrading to this, I have AS2012 installed, reviews seem positive. Anyone out there got Active Sky Next?
mjrhealth View Drop Down
P/UT
P/UT

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mjrhealth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Apr 2014 at 12:15pm
I do, have had for few months now, and love every minute of it. Thunderstorms are scary in small planes, all really well done, even wake turbulence seems to be there. Up till this used freeware realwx.
Haswell 4770K @ 4.2(so far) Gigabtye GAZ87XUD3H 8 Gig Cas 9 DDR3 16000 MHz Ram, NVIDIA GTX 680 2Gig Video, Win 7 64 bit.
wain View Drop Down
P1
P1

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wain Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Apr 2014 at 7:58am
thanks for the reply, I think I may get it at the weekend, not got much time to fly lately but this version seems to concentrate more on the weather and vids look good.....
wain View Drop Down
P1
P1

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wain Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Apr 2014 at 8:17am
I have this now, how can I be sure that it is creating my weather, and as I have active sky 2012 will the textures be used or do I have to change something......I start up as next then fsx and have to choose user defined weather, is this correct....if flying air haulier do I fire up asnext then AH which in turn launches fsx...thanks for your help....
MartinW View Drop Down
Moderator in Command
Moderator in Command

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MartinW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Apr 2014 at 3:09pm
Fire up ASN and leave it in the background, and it will smoothly handle the weather for you.

ASN provides weather only.

The manual is there to help you, so good idea at read it.

As for the textures, Once a particular add-on, like REX or Active sky, has been used to load the textures, then the textures will remain in place. You would have to load different textures or revert to your backups to lose the textures loaded.

ASN is superb, quite frankly the best thing since sliced bread. Fly into a thunderstorm and be thrilled by the horrendous row, as hail bombards your aircraft. Weather avoidance now becomes a real consideration in FSX. No longer can you fly into evil weather without a care in the world.

Have fun.

MartinW View Drop Down
Moderator in Command
Moderator in Command

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MartinW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Apr 2014 at 3:10pm
Quote have to choose user defined weather, is this correct

No... just fire it up and do nothing. Real world weather will be loaded automatically for you. It's all super easy with ASN.

In the weather mode tab, you have a choice of Live, Historical or Manual. All self explanatory. Where are you seeing "user defined"?

Quote ....if flying air haulier do I fire up asnext then AH which in turn launches fsx...thanks for your help....

I don't have AH, but that sounds like it would work to me.

DaveB View Drop Down
Check-In Staff
Check-In Staff

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DaveB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Apr 2014 at 10:12pm
'User defined' is on the Free Flight page Martin (if anything other than the default weather themes is chosen for a saved flight)Wink

ATB
DaveBSmile
MartinW View Drop Down
Moderator in Command
Moderator in Command

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MartinW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Apr 2014 at 9:04am
Oh right, thanks Dave.

wain View Drop Down
P1
P1

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wain Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Apr 2014 at 5:33pm
cheers martin, not had time to read manual fully as I am working rather too much at the moment, that's why knowledgeable people like you are here to help us mere mortals......

sorry should have mentioned that it was on free flight page....

I have textures from Active Sky 2012 and I was not sure if I was required to do anything with them, again thank you for you input Martin, greatly appreciated....
DaveB View Drop Down
Check-In Staff
Check-In Staff

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DaveB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Apr 2014 at 12:48am
I'm interested to learn what you think when you get it up and running. I've run through various incarnations of AS.. finally stopping at ASA. For the most part, I use the REX weather engine these days (which I believe has proven better than ASA) but it's cumbersome having to fire up REX E+O/D just to get at the weather!

ASN could be just what I'm looking forWink

ATB
DaveBSmile
DaveB View Drop Down
Check-In Staff
Check-In Staff

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DaveB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Apr 2014 at 1:19am
Jumped in and bought it. Thus far.. I'm impressed

ATB
DaveB
wain View Drop Down
P1
P1

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wain Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Apr 2014 at 7:17am
I have done a few short flights and have thought it to be very good, need more time for full evaluation, but first impressions have been good.....
MartinW View Drop Down
Moderator in Command
Moderator in Command

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MartinW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Apr 2014 at 10:44am
Best weather engine I've ever come across. No more cloud popping, no more vanishing clouds, great stuff.

wain View Drop Down
P1
P1

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wain Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Apr 2014 at 5:35pm
having problems with this now, lots of posts on avsim, AS cant control ambient weather, gone back to as2012, apparently its not an issue with everyone....can be fixed but not sure if I have the ability to do it...changing programs or something....
MartinW View Drop Down
Moderator in Command
Moderator in Command

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MartinW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Apr 2014 at 9:28am
Any more details wain? Links to the Avsim posts?

Not something I've come across.
Slopey View Drop Down
Moderator in Command
Moderator in Command
AirHauler Developer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Slopey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Apr 2014 at 11:39am
ASN is working perfectly for me with FSX.

With P3Dv2 I get the "can't set ambient" but then I'm not running  the Beta with support for P3D yet.

But ASN is fantastic - and way better than REX or ASA.  The end of cloud popping enough, and seamless transitions between weather areas is reason enough to buy it.
AirHauler Developer
For AH2 queries - PLEASE USE THE EA Forums as the first port of call.
wain View Drop Down
P1
P1

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wain Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Apr 2014 at 3:27pm
http://forum.avsim.net/topic/429211-active-sky-next-bug/

try this, it may not work.....I am not too good at accessing files and changing things, built pc, and recently started skinning trucks in ETS2 but file changing that's a whole different ball game....
MartinW View Drop Down
Moderator in Command
Moderator in Command

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MartinW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Apr 2014 at 8:15pm
Are you right clicking and running as Admin?

Have you excluded FSX and ASN in your AV?

Another fix for this that helps many, is to simply make sure you have not set FSUIPC wind smoothing to on.

If you still get a problem, why don't you drop HiFi a support ticket, and they will guide you through the options to fix this step by step.

This issue has been around for a while, and they will be very up to speed by now, in regard to a viable solution.

wain View Drop Down
P1
P1

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wain Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Apr 2014 at 10:54pm
cheers martin, got fed up with it at the weekend and went back to AS2012....will try though when I have more time...
wain View Drop Down
P1
P1

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wain Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Apr 2014 at 4:02pm
reinstalled this, ran hotfix 5 and up to now all seems well, I think 5 was only to do with servers though but it seems to be all good, only done to very short flights though.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic