This forum is in read-only mode for archive purposes, please use our new forum at https://community.justflight.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Just Chat > Just Chat - General Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Multiverse gets real with glimpse of ripples

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Moderator in Command
Moderator in Command

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MartinW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Multiverse gets real with glimpse of ripples
    Posted: 22 Mar 2014 at 12:52pm

A Nobel prize on the way for someone if confirmed. "If inflation is there, the multiverse is there," said Andrei Linde of Stanford University in California.

Quote Wave hello to the multiverse? Ripples in the very fabric of the cosmos, unveiled this week, are allowing us to peer further back in time than anyone thought possible, showing us what was happening in the first slivers of a second after the big bang.

The discovery of these primordial waves could solidify the idea that our young universe went through a rapid growth spurt called inflation. And that theory is linked to the idea that the universe is constantly giving birth to smaller "pocket" universes within an ever-expanding multiverse.

The waves in question are called gravitational waves, and they appear in Einstein's highly successful theory of general relativity (see "A surfer's guide to gravitational waves"). On 17 March, scientists working with the BICEP2 telescope in Antarctica announced the first indirect detection of primordial gravitational waves. This version of the ripples was predicted to be visible in maps of the cosmic microwave background (CMB), the earliest light emitted in the universe, roughly 380,000 years after the big bang.

Repulsive gravity

The BICEP2 team had spent three years analysing CMB data, looking for a distinctive curling pattern called B-mode polarisation. These swirls indicate that the light of the CMB has been twisted, or polarised, into specific curling alignments. In two papers published online on the BICEP project website, the team said they have high confidence the B-mode pattern is there, and that they can rule out alternative explanations such as dust in our own galaxy, distortions caused by the gravity of other galaxies and errors introduced by the telescope itself. That suggests the swirls could have been left only by the very first gravitational waves being stretched out by inflation.

http://www.newscientist.com/article/dn25249-multiverse-gets-real-with-glimpse-of-big-bang-ripples.html#.UzKZ0U1OW1s

hifly View Drop Down
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hifly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Mar 2014 at 3:19pm
Interesting stuff Martin, the thought of multi universes is pretty mind blowing but yes. Why not?

The question that really intrigues me is what was there before the Big Bang? Time, matter, energy, light, anything?

Answers on a postcard in no more than 25 words except the God word.   
Must Fly!
MartinW View Drop Down
Moderator in Command
Moderator in Command

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MartinW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Mar 2014 at 11:56am
Quote The question that really intrigues me is what was there before the Big Bang? Time, matter, energy, light, anything?

According to M-Theory, higher dimensional space.

An infinite number of bubble universes floating in higher dimensional space.

Of if you don't believe in such things, it becomes a meaningless question, because time, space, everything was created at the moment of the big bang. In this scenario there would have been absolute nothingness before, in fact there was no before.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/M-theory
hifly View Drop Down
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hifly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Mar 2014 at 2:21pm
Originally posted by MartinW MartinW wrote:

[quote]

An infinite number of bubble universes floating in higher dimensional space.

That sounds like Mutleys.

Thanks Martin, I will look into M theory.
Must Fly!
MarkH View Drop Down
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MarkH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Mar 2014 at 2:48pm
Hi Geoff,

Your question reminded me of the answer Ken Campbell got when he asked your question to the then head of CERN.  A beautiful answer.  "Fields with a potentiality to be excited"

It's here at 42 mins.

The other 2 shows of the series 'Reality on the Rocks' is well worth a watch too.

Regards,
M.
hifly View Drop Down
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hifly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Mar 2014 at 3:05pm
Hi Mark, thanks for the link. In the whole space time continuum I'm running out of time myself to fit everything in. Anyway hope all is well with you and yours.

Here's a map I've made of the Pre-Universe Universe.

G d
Must Fly!
MarkH View Drop Down
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MarkH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Mar 2014 at 3:09pm
Hi Geoff, All good here, hope you guys are well. So who made GLOLD? Wink

Regards,
hifly View Drop Down
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hifly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Mar 2014 at 6:33pm
Ah Ha! The chicken and the egg.

Here's my theory.

Time is infinite, no beginning or end. The Universe has three cycles, big bang, expansion, contraction, big bang... ad infinitum.

Nobel Prize please.   
Must Fly!
MarkH View Drop Down
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MarkH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Mar 2014 at 6:53pm
Mmm, contraction seems to have been ruled out.  No Nobel Prize for you Sir,
Not yet. Wink

hifly View Drop Down
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hifly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Mar 2014 at 7:43pm
[QUOTE=mark.hudson6] Mmm, contraction seems to have been ruled out.  

Who told you that?

Maybe we are on a collision course with another universe/s, then we get another big bang and it starts all over again. See, simple really.

Here's a poem I made about the universe, it's called The Universe Verse.

The universe,
Has a curse,
And it's getting worse,
Call for the nurse,
Too late,
Call for a hearse.

Pulitzer Prize please.   
Must Fly!
MartinW View Drop Down
Moderator in Command
Moderator in Command

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MartinW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Mar 2014 at 10:52am
Dark energy Geoff.

The universe is actually not just expanding, but accelerating. Dark energy is hypothesised to permeate all of space.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dark_energy

Essentially, rather than a big crunch, the universe will continue to expand until it's a very dark place. At which time any civilisation intelligent enough to observe the cosmos, will have no evidence at all that there are stars, planets, and possibly other life forms, they truly will believe they are alone. So we are very lucky to be around now, at a time when we truly can observe the wonders of the cosmos.

In answer to your god question, Mark is totally wrong. There was god, and prior to that a super god that created the reality that god could exist in. Prior to that there was hyper god, super hyper god, super mega hyper god and on and on... until we get to Q from Star Trek.

MartinW View Drop Down
Moderator in Command
Moderator in Command

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MartinW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Mar 2014 at 11:02am

Quote Maybe we are on a collision course with another universe/s, then we get another big bang and it starts all over again. See, simple really

You may be [kind of] right. M-Theory again, branes. [Not the brain with an "I" like the one Cameron hasn't got] Rippling brane's floating in higher dimensional space. [Hyper space in science fiction] When one rippling brane collides with another, a new big bang, and thus, another universe is born. Many of the those universes will be governed by physics that are totally different to ours and thus life impossible, others may have realties that function according to similar rules as ours.

Not as farfetched as it seems, especially as we now seem to have evidence for inflation.

P.S. Your rhyming couplets are the work of genius. The piece above, is a creation that's reminiscent of the great masters.   
MartinW View Drop Down
Moderator in Command
Moderator in Command

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MartinW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Mar 2014 at 11:59am
Originally posted by mark.hudson6 mark.hudson6 wrote:

Hi Geoff,

Your question reminded me of the answer Ken Campbell got when he asked your question to the then head of CERN.  A beautiful answer.  "Fields with a potentiality to be excited"

It's here at 42 mins.

The other 2 shows of the series 'Reality on the Rocks' is well worth a watch too.

Regards,
M.

Mark, that was great, enjoyed it very much.

MarkH View Drop Down
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MarkH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Mar 2014 at 8:33pm
Yes Martin, it was a good series.  It's one of the first of it's type I can remember. 

The Pulitzer Prize is in the bag Geoff. LOL 

Regards,
M.
MartinW View Drop Down
Moderator in Command
Moderator in Command

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MartinW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Mar 2014 at 8:49am
Hope you're watching Neil DeGrasse Tyson's Cosmos mark!

I must admit, I wasn't that well informed regarding Giordano Bruno. Incredible to think that this man actually dreamt that the Earth revolved around the sun and that the stars were other suns like ours, with planets orbiting them, some with life. He went way, way further than even the then controversial Copernican model.

He still believed in god, and was effectively claiming god was far more magnificent than the religious community had envisaged... and yes, they burnt him at the stake for his trouble.

Despite having absolutely no evidence for his claims... he was right!

MarkH View Drop Down
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MarkH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Mar 2014 at 9:23am
I sure am Martin.  Watched episode 3 just last night.

I love the decision that it is first broadcast in the US on FOX straight after Family Guy (Seth MacFarlane was key to getting FOX to agree to this) to try and expose the show to people who would not usually watch this type of TV before it being repeated the next night on National Geographic.

I had never heard of poor old Bruno.

I'm sure Carl would be very happy with the way this is turning out. Thumbs Up

Regards,
M.
MartinW View Drop Down
Moderator in Command
Moderator in Command

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MartinW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Mar 2014 at 4:23pm
Have only caught episode one so far, have two recorded.

I bet you missed the ISS orbit with Dermot O'Leary didn't you?
MarkH View Drop Down
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MarkH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Mar 2014 at 4:55pm
Yes and No LOL  We put it on but lasted about 5 mins before we couldn't take it anymore.  Was was it meant to be?  X Factor meets Stargazing Live?  Nasty telly . LOL
hifly View Drop Down
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hifly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Mar 2014 at 6:07pm
[QUOTE=mark.hudson6] Yes and No LOL  We put it on but lasted about 5 mins before we couldn't take it anymore.  Was was it meant to be?  X Factor meets Stargazing Live?  Nasty telly . LOL[/QUOTe

I agree Mark, I tried watching these progs but found Dermont O Dreary simplistic and somewhat patronising. Where's James Burke when you need him?
Must Fly!
MarkH View Drop Down
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MarkH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Mar 2014 at 6:24pm
Dermot O Dreary Clap Classic.

Yes Geoff, James would have been fantastic, if only for his iconic turtle shell glasses Thumbs Up

Dermot was a awful choice for host.  The persistent time delays just compounded his ineptitude. Wink

@Martin, Something I don't understand is why the latest discovery supports a M-Theory Brain Multiverse, I have read that the string guys are excited but have yet to find an explanation why.  Is it to do with the 'suitcase size of matter' Brian Greene talks about in his book?  I will have to read that bit again. 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic