This forum is in read-only mode for archive purposes, please use our new forum at https://community.justflight.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Just Flight Products > DC-8 Jetliner Series 10 through 70
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Starting Engines

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Check-In Staff
Check-In Staff

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Luftwulf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Starting Engines
    Posted: 09 Mar 2014 at 3:22am
I have followed the manual and cannot start the engines.  I am not quit sure what I am doing wrong, however I have continually tried and re-approached my steps and the engines will not start.  I believe I have SP2 as I purchased from fspilotshop.com and stated the file was updated Feb 21st.

Any suggestions?

Thanks,
LW
BobKay View Drop Down
P/UT
P/UT

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BobKay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Mar 2014 at 4:02pm
Are you trying to start the engines by following the procedure in the tutorial?
Does Ctrl-E work?

Luftwulf View Drop Down
Check-In Staff
Check-In Staff

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Luftwulf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Mar 2014 at 4:24pm
Yes, I've been following the startup procedure in the manual and it will not start.

At that point I am forced to do the Ctrl+e to start the engines and they start once I have configured the plane for before startup.

Thanks,
LW
Arnow View Drop Down
Check-In Staff
Check-In Staff

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Arnow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Apr 2014 at 4:46pm
Hi,

I'm having the exact same problem as Luftwulf... Anyone else? Any solution found? Since I don't like to give up, i've spent far too many hours trying to start these engines without success... I'd like to do something else now, but first, see if anyone has a solution...

Ah, and also, activating the Hydraulic Pump does almost nothing.. The needle hardly moves one notch up, and the engine generators switches don't seem to move....

And no air stairs too...

Thanks for your precious help! I really want to start up this bird!

Cheers,
jdetrick View Drop Down
Check-In Staff
Check-In Staff

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jdetrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Apr 2014 at 6:02am
First ensure that you have fuel in the tanks.   Place all cross feed levers up, all boost pumps on, turn the ignition on and then start.  The normal sequence was 3,4,2 and last 1.
Arnow View Drop Down
Check-In Staff
Check-In Staff

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Arnow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Apr 2014 at 1:20pm
Hi Jdetrick,

Yes, my Dc-8 has all the fuel it needs.

Cross feed levers up, fuel pumps up.

Engine 3 starter activated... Then nothing.

When I just load the plane, and it says the engines are not running, the procedure works just fine.

When I try to start the engines from Cold & dark, it doesn't...

So either there's a bug somewhere, or i'm missing a step that is not described in the manual.

Cheers,
jdetrick View Drop Down
Check-In Staff
Check-In Staff

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jdetrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Apr 2014 at 7:03am
Ignition?   The Ignition switch on the fwd part of the overhead panel must be switched on.  On page 30 of the instruction manual you will find a picture of the fwd overhead.  The "Engine start arm selector" (item 100) and the "Engine ignition switch" (item 101) must be turned on before manipulating the start switch.  See page 43 of the manual.
pilotcop View Drop Down
Check-In Staff
Check-In Staff

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pilotcop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jun 2014 at 10:13pm
Here is what I found. Select the plane from the menu. At first I was loading the default C172 and shutting it down. That's where the problem is. Just load it from the main menu when you start your flight. If the engines are running then use the fuel levers by the throttles and shut them down. Then run your checklist. If they are not running then just run your checklist. I've tried it and it works.. they start.
Christoph4445 View Drop Down
Check-In Staff
Check-In Staff

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Christoph4445 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Aug 2014 at 1:55pm
No, my DC-8 doesn't. I load it directly from the free flight menu of FSX. I follow the procedures described in the manual, nothing. The engines spool up just a bit, there's the hissing sound, then nothing. What am I missing?
Chris
ftwd View Drop Down
Ground Crew
Ground Crew

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ftwd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Aug 2014 at 7:22pm
Hi guys,

Just a couple of quick questions, first;
You do have the individual fuel cocks on the throttle quadrant set to OPEN first? And...
Second;
Do you have the the two centre tank levers in the up "OFF" position on the engineers panel? If these are thrown to the down ‘ON’ position, the engines will run down due to lack of fuel.

I always start FSX from this http://www.simforums.com/forums/important-startup-flight-for-complex-aircraft_topic28987.html (copy and paste the link) the only thing I change from the "safe startup" link is put the handbrake on and then go to the 2d view. It is always recommended that you start any complex add-on from a simple flight situation to ensure that it loads properly. Make sure that you don't close the engines down or change any other setting before you load the DC-8. Using the "safe startup" in the above link, I have never had a problem starting any of my complex aircraft with FSX.

Hope this helps,

Cheers
Nathan
Check-In Staff
Check-In Staff

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Christoph4445 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Aug 2014 at 11:16pm

Thanks for your suggestions. She spools up to 26 N2, then there's the howling sound, and instead of starting up she just stays at 26 ... This is annoying. I don't know what I'm missing. The fuel lever are the way you described. I've used Mutley's video as well, no luck.

By the way thanks for the link, but I doesn't work "Error". However, so far I've never had any problems with complex aircraft and I fly many of them.
Check-In Staff
Check-In Staff

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Christoph4445 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Aug 2014 at 11:34pm

Using the tutorial flight, I now managed to start the engines. Why doesn't this work in the normal free flight situation?

The 4 generator switches don't move. The work but you can't see whether they are on or off. Do you experience the same?

The manual shows three switches for the AP-servos. They don't exist in the VC. Where are they?

Chris
ftwd View Drop Down
Ground Crew
Ground Crew

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ftwd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Aug 2014 at 12:34am
Hi Chris,

The AP-servo switches where removed from the VC when the autopilot was updated in sp2. They used to be under the HSI. There is an update for the manual which talks about the differences (Manual Supplement for Service Pack 2) that will be in the same location as the other manual. Make sure that the centre tank fuel levers are set up for engine start as described in the supplement manual not the original one.

When sp2 came out, the switch action for the generators changed and doesn't display properly, just make sure that the generator lights go out when you click on the switches and all is ok.

As far as getting to 26% N1 then nothing, are you sure that the fuel cut of switches on the throttle quadrant are set to OPEN (page 19 of the original manual "number 38") as described on page 41 of the tutorial (in bold writing at the bottom of the page). The engines won't start if these are not in the OPEN (fully up) position.

Let me know how you go, we will get this thing running for you Chris,

Cheers

Nathan.

Ps.. Changed the link to the safe start up info in my first post so that it can be copied and pasted to a browser and will take you to that page.
belfastpilot View Drop Down
Check-In Staff
Check-In Staff

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote belfastpilot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Aug 2014 at 7:21pm
I've also tried loading the aircraft from the menu, and followed the checklist, but when I hit the engine start switch in the overhead I don't even get the hissing sound or engine spooling up :/ Helpppppp!
ftwd View Drop Down
Ground Crew
Ground Crew

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ftwd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Aug 2014 at 9:47pm
It is very important that you start FSX in a clean configuration before loading 3rd party aircraft. This is actually very important for any complex aircraft. You can create your own simple flight, but here is one that is very basic and should allow you to load any complex aircraft safely.

The FSX Safe Startup for Complex Aircraft flight will show in your regular Flights menu in FSX after installing. You can re-save the flight in a new location, with different weather and start up times, but do not change anything else when saving this flight.

Important! You MUST start FSX with this flight for it to be effective. If you start FSX with another flight, load this one, then go to your complex aircraft, you may get undesirable results.

http://www.flight1software.com/files/FSXSafeStartup.exe

This flight has 40 mile visibility, with light clouds of medium thickness.
ftwd View Drop Down
Ground Crew
Ground Crew

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ftwd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Aug 2014 at 9:59pm
Belfast pilot how are you?

Need a few more details. Did you load a default aircraft like the C172 into FSX before loading the DC-8 or did you load the DC-8 from the "Free Flight" menu? You should always load a default aircraft first before loading any complex add on etc. Don't power down the default aircraft, just load it into FSX then when it has loaded up, put the handbrake on, go to the 2d panel then load the DC-8. When the DC-8 has loaded, you can go back to the VC panel view.. In your post, you mentioned you followed the check list. What exactly did you do? Can you please load up FSX, follow the checklist and write down the exact steps that you followed?

Cheers,

Nathan.
Rich View Drop Down
Just Flight Staff
Just Flight Staff

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rich Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Aug 2014 at 1:15pm
Hi,

Please report any bugs that you come across to the support team via www.justflight.com/support so that they can investigate them. 

Thanks
Scotty View Drop Down
Just Flight Staff
Just Flight Staff

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Scotty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Aug 2014 at 7:27pm
A SOLUTION. Seems to be a FSX/DC-8 interaction issue. After you have set the the fuel control panel as per the manual but BEFORE your try and start the engines press: CTRL+SHIFT+F4. This will allow the fuel to flow to the engines despite that supposedly set up by the fuel control panel. Then, when you flick the starter switch the engine will rotate and catch whereas previously it was just rotating. We will investigate this and see if there is a more generic solution.
Scotty

Just Flight Ltd.
Scotty View Drop Down
Just Flight Staff
Just Flight Staff

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Scotty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Aug 2014 at 7:47pm
P.S. Do ENSURE you CHECK you have fuel in your tanks via the Aircraft>Fuel & Payload>Change Fuel menu.
Scotty

Just Flight Ltd.
WaltM View Drop Down
Check-In Staff
Check-In Staff

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WaltM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Aug 2014 at 10:03pm
If this discussion is in regards to the 70 series aircraft I have no problem starting the engines IF I start engine one first then I can start 3,4 and 2. If I don't select engine one first nothing happens when I try to start any other engine.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic