This forum is in read-only mode for archive purposes, please use our new forum at https://community.justflight.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Just Flight Products > English Electric Canberra PR.9
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

What did I do??

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
P/UT
P/UT

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WarHorse47 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: What did I do??
    Posted: 25 Feb 2014 at 9:51pm
I just finished a flight to Fairchild AFB to get familiar with the autopilot.  All went well.  I cruised at 20,000 feet and used the heading indicator.

After landing and exiting my flight, I got all kinds of Runtime Error messages.  Here is one I captured:

Scarey.

--WH
beldar View Drop Down
Check-In Staff
Check-In Staff

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote beldar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Feb 2014 at 11:10am
jeez whats that!!! 

did not have this one yet!! (lets hope it stays that way).

greetz,
 carlo
WarHorse47 View Drop Down
P/UT
P/UT

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WarHorse47 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Feb 2014 at 2:53pm
LOL.  Hi Carlo.

I sent an e-mail to support with more detail.  This was the first of several error messages, before I forced a shutdown of FSX.

The more I fly the Canberra, the more features I explore which means I'm activating more switches and gauges to learn the various systems.

On the flight that generated the errors I set my flight path and Nav1 with the GPS.  Turned off the taxi and landing lights.  Took off towards my destination and climbed to 20,000 feet.  Set my heading and turned on the autopilot for altitude and heading. 

Since it was a 30 minute flight, I had a chance to explore the cockpit.  At 50 miles out I began my decent, contacted the tower and made a nice ILS landing.  And ended by taxing to parking and shutting down the aircraft.  Only when I exited my flight did I encounter the various error messages.

I'm still flying and enjoying the Canberra.  Thanks.

--WH
beldar View Drop Down
Check-In Staff
Check-In Staff

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote beldar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Feb 2014 at 3:00pm
i enjoy the aircraft aswell, but i hope justflight comes up with a fix or update for the canberra.
I have some issues aswell like the tool and noseweelsteer to name a couple.

greetz,

Carlo
P/UT
P/UT

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WarHorse47 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Feb 2014 at 5:24pm
I suspect they are collecting data and putting together a plan for an update or patch.  Seems there are a few issues, although different between different users.

I haven't had any nose-wheel steering problems after changing to direct nose-wheel steering.  I did notice that taxi or landing speed has an effect.  If I'm moving too fast, there is no steering.  I've ended off the side of the runway a couple of times when I couldn't slow down fast enough.

As I reported elsewhere I have encountered a few Fatal Errors whenever I attempt to load a saved flight plan or access the map, but I just avoid that now.  And there is the issue with the landing light and functionality of the panel state.  None detract from my flight time, except for restarting FSX on a couple of occasions.

--WH
snave View Drop Down
First Officer
First Officer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote snave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Feb 2014 at 7:10pm
Without n/w steering, what you need is not just differential brakes, but differential power

There is considerable off-axis thrust for the engines for proper engine-out effects. Coincidentally it also makes steering with power far more effective, although as part of the tweaks it would be nice to have slightly less self-centreing effect.
Delta558 View Drop Down
First Officer
First Officer

Just Flight FDE Developer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Delta558 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Feb 2014 at 7:34pm
Warhorse47, your comment about the lack of nosewheel steering at high speeds: this is accurate, nosewheel steering will only ever work at lower speeds. I suspect you are used to prop aircraft (where the propwash makes the rudder effective at low speeds) or jets which have either been set incorrectly in FSX or have a low speed at which the rudder becomes effective. The PR9 Pilots Notes are quite specific - the rudder doesn't become effective until about 80kts. What you are seeing is the difference between max nosewheel steering speed and min rudder effectiveness. Personally, I don't use the nosewheel steering as the real aircraft didn't have it. I find it easily controllable that way with just an occasional dab of either left brake or right brake.
Paul.
P/UT
P/UT

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WarHorse47 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Feb 2014 at 8:23pm
The n/w steering is fine.  I did notice that the differential braking is set to 0.0 which is odd.  That would make a lot of difference.

Anyways, I'm leaving things the way they are and see what develops with any future patch.
Delta558 View Drop Down
First Officer
First Officer

Just Flight FDE Developer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Delta558 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Feb 2014 at 8:34pm
The differential steering is set to zero because that controls the proportionate increase in braking created by applying rudder. The real Canberra doesn't have any input from the rudder to the braking system at all. A left brake and a right brake, that is all that is used real-world to steer it. It is possible to turn our sim version quite comfortably using just that and a bit of (even) power within the width of a standard runway, but it does take practise.
Martyn View Drop Down
Just Flight Staff
Just Flight Staff
Development Manager

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Martyn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Feb 2014 at 12:14pm
Hi Thomas,

If you haven't already done so, please make sure to submit the error message details to the support team so that we can log and investigate this for you.

Thanks
Martyn
Martyn
Just Flight Ltd
P/UT
P/UT

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WarHorse47 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Feb 2014 at 6:25pm
Done already.

I post a summary on the forums to see if other users experienced the same issues. 

Simultaneously, I send an e-mail to support with more detail knowing you are collecting information on issues.

--WH
Martyn View Drop Down
Just Flight Staff
Just Flight Staff
Development Manager

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Martyn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Mar 2014 at 9:57am
Thanks Thumbs Up
Martyn
Just Flight Ltd
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic