This forum is in read-only mode for archive purposes, please use our new forum at https://community.justflight.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Just Flight Products > English Electric Canberra PR.9
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Panel state

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
P/UT
P/UT

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WarHorse47 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Panel state
    Posted: 24 Feb 2014 at 9:37pm
Because I always turn off the taxi and landing lights before a day flight, I thought I would see if how the "Save" and "Load" panel state functioned.

After turning off the taxi and landing lights, I saved the panel state.  On my latest flight I loaded the panel state, and sure enough the switches were off.  BUT, the landing light was still on.

I had to use the landing light switch to rest the lights, turning them on and turning them off.

Carlos mentioned in his post that the landing and taxi lights stay on even though the all aircraft electrical power is off, so this may be a related issue.

--WH
DaveB View Drop Down
Check-In Staff
Check-In Staff

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DaveB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Feb 2014 at 12:26am

It pains me to say I see this too. Cycling the switches turns the lights back off but that's not really the point is it:-(

ATB
DaveB:-)
WarHorse47 View Drop Down
P/UT
P/UT

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WarHorse47 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Feb 2014 at 2:10am
I had assumed that once you saved the current panel state, that it would become default so that each time you load the aircraft everything would be set the way you want.  That's not what's happening.  I'm not one for extra key strokes just to get the panel setup.

Maybe someone can provide some examples as to how this benefits them?
DaveB View Drop Down
Check-In Staff
Check-In Staff

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DaveB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Feb 2014 at 10:05am
That's a reasonable assumption but with only 2 options (Save and Load) and no option to 'save as'.. this does, I think, point to the model loading it's own default panel state each time so if you want a different setup.. you 'Load' a previously saved state.

I've gone back and read the relevant section in the manual again and it confirms this is how it should work. To some degree, it does work this way. All the switch positions are how I wanted them to be and how they were when I saved the panel state but as has been pointed out, external checks show the landing light down and on even though the panel shows them off. It doesn't offer much confidence that other systems are actually doing what the switch positions indicate.

As to the advantage of having such a system.. you should in theory be able to select the model from 'any' new or saved flight and put it in your desired state without having to save a flight with the model in a given state and load that flight first. My current default flight is the Bell 206 at Yeovilton (I always start with a default model.. force of habit from previous sims) and from there, I choose whatever I fancy. Should it be the PR9, I can select that, select my saved panel state and it should be ready to go:-)

Other models have similar options.. I can offer the Cera Bell 222 as an example. It always loads with the engine running but with various systems turned off. If you want to do it by the book, you can switch these systems on but if you just fancy a quick flight with no fiddling, you hit shift+1 to bring up a model graphic and click 'Ready for Flight'. You still have to turn your nav lights on e t c but as for aircraft systems, you're ready to fly so there's merit in having such an option available.

ATB
DaveB
snave View Drop Down
First Officer
First Officer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote snave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Feb 2014 at 10:52am
Yes, `ready for flight` would certainly fill the gap, laving the two panel states for cold'n'dark and 'as you are' for resuming part-state flights.
DaveB View Drop Down
Check-In Staff
Check-In Staff

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DaveB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Feb 2014 at 12:12pm
I agree although I'm not suggesting this is how it should have been done with the PR9 WH47 asked for examples of how this benefits the end user and my reply attempted to illustrate how this should benefit the end user if it all worked.. a simple means of getting a model in a state you want without faffing around with switches

ATB
DaveB
beldar View Drop Down
Check-In Staff
Check-In Staff

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote beldar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Feb 2014 at 1:10pm
about that landinglight i cant even put it out what i try, reset all lightswitches, start with default airbplaine then swith to pr9.......the light cant be killed anymore keeps on working!!.

Carlo
beldar View Drop Down
Check-In Staff
Check-In Staff

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote beldar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Feb 2014 at 1:18pm
deleted and reinstalled the pr9 from fsx now i can retract the landinglight!

Carlo
WarHorse47 View Drop Down
P/UT
P/UT

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WarHorse47 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Feb 2014 at 2:35pm
DaveB, my default flight is from my local airport with the default Cessna in a cold state with all lights, electrics, etc. off.

When I load the PR9 it takes as much time to open the panel and turn off the taxi and landing lights as it does to load the panel state with the same effect - except that I still have to turn off the landing light as mentioned previously.

As with some a/c like the Cera Bell 222, I sometimes have to activate the "cold and dark" state to reset switches before activating the "ready to fly" state.  Haven't tried that with the PR9, yet.

I think my preference is that when I load the PR9 and I select the "ready to fly" option, all lights should be off and I should have the option to determine which lights to activate based on the time of day.

--WH
DaveB View Drop Down
Check-In Staff
Check-In Staff

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DaveB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Feb 2014 at 3:05pm
Yo WH47

Yup and understood. I honestly can't see why the model defaults to have most of the external lights on.. I was going to say ALL lights on but have realised the upper/lower strobes don't come on unless they're selected. The object of the 'Panel State' choice should be so you can have it how you want it but it's obviously not working for you.. nor me! There are guys on our forum at CBFS who have everything 'apparently' working including the infamous Canberra Flight Analysis tool but the light switches still have to be cycled to get them to the 'saved' state.

Don't get me wrong.. I'm still lovin' the PR9
ATB
DaveB
Martyn View Drop Down
Just Flight Staff
Just Flight Staff
Development Manager

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Martyn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Feb 2014 at 12:17pm
Just to clarify, there is the function to save/load a panel state and there is the power icon which selects either a cold & dark or ready for takeoff state.

We'll look into the possibility of including more than two states using the power icon.

The lights not being correctly initialised will be addressed in an upcoming update.
Martyn
Just Flight Ltd
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic