This forum is in read-only mode for archive purposes, please use our new forum at https://community.justflight.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Just Flight Products > DC-8 Jetliner Series 10 through 70
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Frame rate increase suggestion.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Ground Crew
Ground Crew

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ftwd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Frame rate increase suggestion.
    Posted: 15 Feb 2014 at 10:30pm
Hi all.

I know I've probably left this too late but it was sp2 that gave me the idea. In order to increase frame rates for some users, could it be possible to have an option that would turn off the virtual cabin, just leaving the virtual cockpit? The option could be made available for both the high res/ polygon count and standard res/ reduced polygon count variants giving people four options from High Quality down to standard/ no virtual cabin.

Here's hoping,

Nathan.
Martyn View Drop Down
Just Flight Staff
Just Flight Staff
Development Manager

Answer Answer
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Martyn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Nov 2015 at 1:10pm
SP3 includes a new HSI which should address the performance issues: http://www.justflight.com/support/dc-8-jetliner/16e1f5d
alexcolka View Drop Down
Ground Crew
Ground Crew

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote alexcolka Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Feb 2014 at 9:55pm
Hi,
Are you having constant low fps? because many users reported including me that the fps are fluctuating from high to low only when turning or banking the plane. So how could (if the case) affect the virtual cabin in the turns/banks? just wondering, perhaps any bad coded gauge in the vc like the hsi or adi?
Hoping too for a solution.
Alex
ftwd View Drop Down
Ground Crew
Ground Crew

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ftwd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Feb 2014 at 5:16am
Hi Alex,
My FPS have been fine. I was just putting forward a suggestion for people who may not have high end spec computer. If FSX doesn't have to model the cabin it frees up reasources for modeling the cockpit. Haven't found any problems with bad coded gauges, but I haven't flown the plane that much this week either.

I hope you get a fix for the problems you and some others are experiencing.

Cheers,

Nathan.
Joeflyer View Drop Down
Ground Crew
Ground Crew

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Joeflyer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Aug 2014 at 4:27pm
I am having the same FPS loss when banking the airplane and turning while taxiing. I have a high end pc and don't suffer the same kind of issues with other high end addon aircraft.
Joeflyer
C208 Cargo Driver
alexcolka View Drop Down
Ground Crew
Ground Crew

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote alexcolka Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Aug 2014 at 10:38pm
You are not alone on this. The patches, small textures and turning off the smoke didn't help. A real show stopper with no apparent fix. Hope the 50 to 70s series may improve that.
Joeflyer View Drop Down
Ground Crew
Ground Crew

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Joeflyer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Aug 2014 at 12:16am
Understood....but I won't be waiting on the additional package to "see" if this smooths out performance. I may cut my loss on this aircraft and remove it from the HD....especially since JF took weeks to respond to a support ticket about it and once they did respond, they asked one question about the banking and turning problem....I answered but never got another response. Another couple of weeks passed and I sent a reminder email with my last response. No answer after a couple of months now. This is a wake-up call for me to not purchase another JF product....EVER. It's a shame because I like the aircraft's textures, sounds,etc. Has high potential but JF falls quite short on service after the sale.
Joeflyer
C208 Cargo Driver
Ritty View Drop Down
Check-In Staff
Check-In Staff

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ritty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Aug 2014 at 9:59am
Hi Joeflyer I'm with u on this one. Seems All JF do is release products recently with bugs. There never seems to be an answer so their response is a refund. I have the Viscount and it has bugs where you cannot use the rudder. The Tristar FMC model does not work. My FPS goes from 30 to 1. JF offered no solution. The biggest thing is they charge big $ for products with lots of bugs. Granted most products will have bugs but they seem to get fixed by other companies. Doesn't seem to be the case with JF.

I was looking to purchase this plane but not anymore. May consider if they do an $8 special.
Joeflyer View Drop Down
Ground Crew
Ground Crew

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Joeflyer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Aug 2014 at 4:32pm
Originally posted by Ritty Ritty wrote:

Hi Joeflyer I'm with u on this one. Seems All JF do is release products recently with bugs. There never seems to be an answer so their response is a refund. I have the Viscount and it has bugs where you cannot use the rudder. The Tristar FMC model does not work. My FPS goes from 30 to 1. JF offered no solution. The biggest thing is they charge big $ for products with lots of bugs. Granted most products will have bugs but they seem to get fixed by other companies. Doesn't seem to be the case with JF.

I was looking to purchase this plane but not anymore. May consider if they do an $8 special.

I have not been offered a refund since no one at JF bothers to respond Thumbs Down  I wouldn't buy it even for $8 in its current state.
Joeflyer
C208 Cargo Driver
Bob57 View Drop Down
Check-In Staff
Check-In Staff

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bob57 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Aug 2014 at 6:18am
I'm having the same problem with FPS, while turning on the ground or banking while flying. Makes the aircraft unusable for me. What a shame, the DC-8 has always been one of my best loved aircraft.

Also whatever is causing the FPS drop is not being fixed by Fiber Accelerator.

Bob
Joeflyer View Drop Down
Ground Crew
Ground Crew

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Joeflyer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Aug 2014 at 9:25pm
Folks, just as a FYI....a BIG thank you goes to Scotty (Alex) for directing me through various troubleshooting methods in order to pin-point the possible culprit to the low frame rates during turns while on the ground and in the air. What I have been able to find is that the HSI is the culprit.
More news to follow!
Joeflyer
C208 Cargo Driver
alexcolka View Drop Down
Ground Crew
Ground Crew

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote alexcolka Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Aug 2014 at 10:19pm
Originally posted by Joeflyer Joeflyer wrote:

Folks, just as a FYI....a BIG thank you goes to Scotty (Alex) for directing me through various troubleshooting methods in order to pin-point the possible culprit to the low frame rates during turns while on the ground and in the air. What I have been able to find is that the HSI is the culprit.
More news to follow!

Yes! I knew it! Please tell us as soon as you know how to at least mitigate that fps drop.
Thanks,
Alex

PD: Also found that in the series 70 the problem is less noticeable due to the modern glass HSI.
Joeflyer View Drop Down
Ground Crew
Ground Crew

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Joeflyer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Aug 2014 at 10:53pm
Originally posted by alexcolka alexcolka wrote:

Yes! I knew it! Please tell us as soon as you know how to at least mitigate that fps drop.
Thanks,
Alex

PD: Also found that in the series 70 the problem is less noticeable due to the modern glass HSI.

Well, the only instrument I disabled was the HSI and tested the aircraft on the ground and in the air. No frame rate drops. Then I re-enabled the HSI and the problem was back. Scotty is sending the results to the developer. Hopefully we will know something soon.

For the -70, how much of a drop are you experiencing? Maybe they can look into the -70 series and see if this one can be tweaked more.
Joeflyer
C208 Cargo Driver
alexcolka View Drop Down
Ground Crew
Ground Crew

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote alexcolka Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Aug 2014 at 3:30am
Hi Joeflyer,
I already did that before this post with no luck and even went further disabling both HSI and ADI (in panel.cfg, virtual cockpit sections) with no luck, I'm surprised that you got lucky with that modification you made. Perhaps something else is needed in my end...

About series 70 I'm not sure exactly how much fps drop I get, I'm gessing half than the other series (10 to 60). So if in straight and level flight I get about 30 fps, turning and/or banking maybe I get about 20 - 22 fps in the 70, and the rest of the series about 12 - 16 fps and that is horrible.

Anyway I want to test a little more with the instruments, If you know or discover something else, please let me know.
Thanks,
Alex
Joeflyer View Drop Down
Ground Crew
Ground Crew

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Joeflyer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Aug 2014 at 2:18pm

Hi Joeflyer,
I already did that before this post with no luck and even went further disabling both HSI and ADI (in panel.cfg, virtual cockpit sections) with no luck, I'm surprised that you got lucky with that modification you made. Perhaps something else is needed in my end...

About series 70 I'm not sure exactly how much fps drop I get, I'm gessing half than the other series (10 to 60). So if in straight and level flight I get about 30 fps, turning and/or banking maybe I get about 20 - 22 fps in the 70, and the rest of the series about 12 - 16 fps and that is horrible.

Anyway I want to test a little more with the instruments, If you know or discover something else, please let me know.
Thanks,
Alex

Alex, you should open a support ticket. Scotty (Alex from JF) will be interested in knowing about the 50-70 series frame rate issues as well. Since I do not have the particular pack, you could be a big help in pin-pointing the issue with it as well. Seems to me it's all about the gauge or gauges that is causing the frame rate issues.
Joeflyer
C208 Cargo Driver
alexcolka View Drop Down
Ground Crew
Ground Crew

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote alexcolka Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Aug 2014 at 9:13pm
Hi Joeflyer,
Thanks for the suggestion, in fact I already did that time ago with the series 10 to 40 with no solution for my case, I'm not saying they didn't try to help me but there was no fps improvement even with the two service packs, the texture quality change and disabling all smoke effects.

Probably I'll try with the support ticket again, focusing in the big moving 3d gauges that I also think may be the problem. Hey as I write this I got an idea! I'll remove the VC association of this plane in the model.cfg, I'm not in my simulator PC so I'll test that out later and post again any results.
Alex
Joeflyer View Drop Down
Ground Crew
Ground Crew

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Joeflyer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Aug 2014 at 9:58pm
Alex,

I am wondering if you disabled the HSI correctly. Can you advise exactly how you disable any of the gauges during your testing? Certainly the smoke effects brought my high end system to a crawl and had to disable it as well. It's a shame, too. Smoke effects brings out the character in this ol airplane.

Also, what you have described in your posts fit exactly what happens in my situation. You could try what Scotty suggested for me during my testing....

Then, please go here:

D:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Games\Microsoft Flight Simulator X\SimObjects\Airplanes\Airbus_A321\Model....or where ever your FSX resides

And copy the file called:

Airbus_A321_interior.mdl

Then go to DC-8-21 model folder

And paste the Airbus_A321_interior.mdl file there.

Rename the file called JF_DC-8_EJECTOR_interior.MDL to JF_DC-8_EJECTOR_interior.MDL.ORG

The rename the Airbus_A321_interior.mdl file to be called: JF_DC-8_EJECTOR_interior.MDL

You will not see a DC-8 VC and probably no VC at all but the idea is for the FPS test to try and help confirm the FPS issue is in the VC or not.

I hope Scotty doesn't mind me putting this on the forum Smile
Joeflyer
C208 Cargo Driver
alexcolka View Drop Down
Ground Crew
Ground Crew

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote alexcolka Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Aug 2014 at 1:58am
Joeflyer,
This is the way I disabled the HSI via panel.cfg:

[Vcockpit13]
Background_color=0,0,0
size_mm=1024,1024
visible=1
pixel_size=1024,1024
texture=$AH_NAV

//gauge00=JFDC8!EHSI,  158,193,710,694 <----- just added the "//" to disable the line

Now I just disabled the VC simply by going to model.cfg and:

[models]
normal=JF_DC8-53_exterior
//interior=JF_DC-8-50VC_interior <----- added again the "//"

And the VC is gone.

So, I can now confirm in my case that the frames while turning and banking are high as they should be. Again, in my case the problem is related to something in the VC (not the textures or smoke), it could be the HSI, ADI or some gauge related to heading, pitch or bank (something complex enough to do this fps drop). I looked the plane even from spot and everything is ok with the frames.

I'll issue a support ticket. If Scotty could look at our latest posts, that would be great.

Alex

Joeflyer View Drop Down
Ground Crew
Ground Crew

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Joeflyer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Aug 2014 at 2:44am

Joeflyer,
This is the way I disabled the HSI via panel.cfg:

[Vcockpit13]
Background_color=0,0,0
size_mm=1024,1024
visible=1
pixel_size=1024,1024
texture=$AH_NAV

//gauge00=JFDC8!EHSI,  158,193,710,694 <----- just added the "//" to disable the line

Now I just disabled the VC simply by going to model.cfg and:

[models]
normal=JF_DC8-53_exterior
//interior=JF_DC-8-50VC_interior <----- added again the "//"

And the VC is gone.

So, I can now confirm in my case that the frames while turning and banking are high as they should be. Again, in my case the problem is related to something in the VC (not the textures or smoke), it could be the HSI, ADI or some gauge related to heading, pitch or bank (something complex enough to do this fps drop). I looked the plane even from spot and everything is ok with the frames.

I'll issue a support ticket. If Scotty could look at our latest posts, that would be great.

Alex

I suppose putting "//" in front of the line works too. I used semi-colon in front of the HSI line.

I installed the 50 to 70 package this evening and had similar bad results...actually worse than the 10 to 40 package. Will be doing more testing with Scotty's direction in the days to come. Will keep you informed.

Joe
Joeflyer
C208 Cargo Driver
TurnNburn79 View Drop Down
Check-In Staff
Check-In Staff

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TurnNburn79 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Sep 2014 at 3:43pm
For what it's worth, and I didn't read the whole thread so forgive me if it was already mentioned...

I found that turning off the "HIGH RESOLUTION 3D COCKPIT" from the FSX Display Settings helped with the FPS during banking.

But that is hardly a solution, really hope JF sorts this out, I have been very, very disappointed with this product like many and am close to asking for a refund and just deleting it. 
Rich View Drop Down
Just Flight Staff
Just Flight Staff

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rich Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Sep 2014 at 9:26pm
Work on the frame rate issues is continuing, along with general service pack issues. I believe some new 3D instruments are being constructed to get rid of the FPS loss during banking. 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic