This forum is in read-only mode for archive purposes, please use our new forum at https://community.justflight.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Just Flight Products > DC-8 Jetliner Series 10 through 70
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

DC 8 comments- Quality

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Check-In Staff
Check-In Staff

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cargoareus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: DC 8 comments- Quality
    Posted: 13 Dec 2013 at 3:33pm
I recently purchased the DC8 and am pretty disappointed.   The quality is terrible. I've read all the other forum posts so I won't repeat those bugs. I just purchased TrackIR and thought maybe an acft with only a VC might be a good place to use it but it only made it worse because the VC is so bad. Did I pay much for DC8? No, I waited till it went on sale. But so what? How can things like poor views, no functional EPR gages, instrument panel lighting etc. be missed on even a cursory quality review. I expected better. The Connie, DC-10 Lite series and the Herc were pretty accurate, (these are all acft I have actual time on, mainly as FE).
So please, JF, how about a little quality review when you purchase products from other developers. You don't have to be a real life pilot/FE to catch a lot of these mistakes. I don't expect a simulation product for less than $30 USD to be exactly like the real thing but some of these issues are easy to spot.
I'll keep the DC8 hoping SP2 will fix some of the obvious items but I am getting disappointed in some of the JF products. The Viscount was another dog. There are several developers I stay away from based on bitter experience; I sincerely hope JF doesn't join that crowd. The Positive; Whenever I post a support question I always get a prompt response.
Scotty View Drop Down
Just Flight Staff
Just Flight Staff

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Scotty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Dec 2013 at 3:55pm
Hello Cargoareus, Sorry to hear you are disappointed, but I fully disagree that that the quality is terrible. We have SP2 in the pipe-line that address's reported issues. I am concerned that you are saying the EPR gauges are not operating. They should be. I will find out why they are not.

You are welcome to wait for SP2  to be issued and see if that meets your requirements, or indeed you are welcome to contact customer services/support for a refund now.

Regards,

Alex Ford.
Scotty

Just Flight Ltd.
cargoareus View Drop Down
Check-In Staff
Check-In Staff

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cargoareus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Dec 2013 at 11:09pm
Alex, I appreciate the quick response.   I will wait for SP2 to see if things are better and if not ask for a refund which I hate to do. Not looking for perfection. I purchased DC 8 in Dec so I assume SP1 was incorporated per the JF posting.   I read every post in this forum on DC8. Several complained about inop EPR gages, poor panel lighting and poor VC. I've tried all the DC8 models and they have same defects, as expected since the flight deck is an alias. Several posts were from members with extensive DC8 experience, one posting about 20 defects. Hope most of those get incorporated in SP2. I did find it difficult to hand fly but chalked that up to me rather than the model!!!
Win 7, 64 bit, FSX Gold..

regards, George
Scotty View Drop Down
Just Flight Staff
Just Flight Staff

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Scotty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Dec 2013 at 2:41pm
Thanks for your reply George. I can confirm that we did break the EPR gauges in SP1 - apologies ref that. They are fixed in SP2.

Regards

Alex Ford.
Scotty

Just Flight Ltd.
jack View Drop Down
Check-In Staff
Check-In Staff

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote jack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Feb 2014 at 12:57am
I just wanted to add my two cents worth in favor of the DC-8.  I found it to be good from the beginning, never had a problem with it, and now with the new service pack it's even better!   I'm a fan of Just Flight's products and I  like this DC-8 very much-REALLY would like it if they would do the early DC-9 like they've done the DC-8.
jack
hifly View Drop Down
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote hifly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Feb 2014 at 9:17am
Originally posted by jack jack wrote:

I just wanted to add my two cents worth in favor of the DC-8.  I found it to be good from the beginning, never had a problem with it, and now with the new service pack it's even better!   I'm a fan of Just Flight's products and I  like this DC-8 very much-REALLY would like it if they would do the early DC-9 like they've done the DC-8.

JF have a DC-9 the Flight 1 Ultimate Airliners DC-9 Classic and I can highly recommend it.
Must Fly!
Scotty View Drop Down
Just Flight Staff
Just Flight Staff

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Scotty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Feb 2014 at 11:01am
Originally posted by jack jack wrote:

Thanks Jack! Those kind of comments help and are appreciated.
Scotty

Just Flight Ltd.
Mike70 View Drop Down
Ground Crew
Ground Crew

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike70 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Feb 2014 at 12:43pm
At this point I think this is a terrific product. I had some frustrations at first, but after:

Adding some additional VC camera views

Figuring out how to install FS2 (I didn't read carefully - you have to uninstall original, then re-install with SP2; the SP2 exe file goes through two phases - uninstall and reinstall)

Tweaking the autopilot gains in the aircraft.cfg file

Finding some decent performance and procedures info on the web

I bought the textures upgrade lately, very well done.

I like flying it now, and will by the -50 to -70 when it is out.

We still need a manual write up with pictures regarding how to actually use the fuel tank login in a long range flight, though.
Scotty View Drop Down
Just Flight Staff
Just Flight Staff

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Scotty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Feb 2014 at 12:54pm
Originally posted by Mike70 Mike70 wrote:

At this point I think this is a terrific product. I had some frustrations at first, but after:

Adding some additional VC camera views

Figuring out how to install FS2 (I didn't read carefully - you have to uninstall original, then re-install with SP2; the SP2 exe file goes through two phases - uninstall and reinstall)

Tweaking the autopilot gains in the aircraft.cfg file

Finding some decent performance and procedures info on the web

I bought the textures upgrade lately, very well done.

I like flying it now, and will by the -50 to -70 when it is out.

We still need a manual write up with pictures regarding how to actually use the fuel tank login in a long range flight, though.

Thanks Mike70. "login" - do you mean "logic"?
Scotty

Just Flight Ltd.
Mike70 View Drop Down
Ground Crew
Ground Crew

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike70 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Feb 2014 at 3:04pm
Yes, logic, not login - sorry!

The fuel system expanation in the manual shows how to set it up to start, but how to minipulate all the pumps and levers to properly burn off fuel over long distances is not there.

At present, I modified the aircraft to have just one tank with total fuel quantity in order to not flame out an engine. It works, but only one tank shows quantity, of course. I would like to know how to set up tank flows, etc.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic