This forum is in read-only mode for archive purposes, please use our new forum at https://community.justflight.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Just Flight Products > DC-8 Jetliner Series 10 through 70
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

DC-8 Textures, post update

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Check-In Staff
Check-In Staff

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hornit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: DC-8 Textures, post update
    Posted: 30 Nov 2013 at 3:03am
I still have the very long loading texture issue upon changing aircraft or loading another paint for the DC-8 after installing the Update.

I will reiterate what I posted over on the Avsim forums here a few weeks back. While HD textures at very high resolutions are nice to look at, the load put on the graphics cards are significant. I am seeing most external textures, Wings, nacelles, and even most VC textures rendered using 2048x2048 texture sheets.

IMHO that is a large amount of overkill. I once again re-sized ONE aircraft's textures along with the main texture folder located in the DC-8-21 model folder I believe. There is a significant improvement in loading textures and i have also noted a slight improvement in the stuttering frame rate some have noticed with this model.

I really also believe we are wasting polys with an internal cabin rendered in 3D. Painting windows is fine for the majority of us and I get good results using texture for night lighting also. If you look at actual photos of airliners you cannot see through the cabin and rarely past the glare of the windows themselves. 

I would suggest an optional model with no internal cabin and a reduction of ALL texture sheets using 2048 to 1024. The default texture folder on my install is 367MB along with the 40 or so for each individual paint. That is more than ANY OTHER aircraft I have in my Sim Objects folder by a wide margin.

I have an upper Tier video card and a system capable of running FSX at 30-35 FPS even with add-ons. This bird coupled with any traffic or realistic weather suffers in the performance department and I believe it is partly due to these texture issues.

Just my two centsworth! My feeling here is if this is not addressed I will be asking for my money back as it just isn't enjoyable to fly around. Part of why I buy these models is to LOOK at them, paint them, and enjoy the view from outside.
buspelle View Drop Down
Ground Crew
Ground Crew

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote buspelle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Nov 2013 at 3:35am
You are so 100% rigth about this!!!
I couldnt agree more!!! Excellent written!
I downloaded the SP1/updated verson, the difference from the "orginal"? NONE!
no improvements in fps, still that wirerd framedrop and stutter after takeoff and left/right turn...
I will ask for money back also!
I had hopes for that SP!, but no that DC-8 goes to the scrapyard... this only makes me frustrated.

Per
CaptainIFLY View Drop Down
First Officer
First Officer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CaptainIFLY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Nov 2013 at 9:21pm
I Agree, the Textures sizes are getting Ridlicious and most don't work very well, in high traffic areas and with any detailed scenery .

I really don't look at the RIVETS down the side of an Aircraft and could careless how detailed the Rivet joints are !!

I notice Carenado has some out to, I bought that C-90 Beechcraft and even with a High end Graphics card it stll messes with frame rates.

I think taking the texture sizes down a notch or two would help significantly !
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic