This forum is in read-only mode for archive purposes, please use our new forum at https://community.justflight.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Just Flight Products > General Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Revolution X

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Check-In Staff
Check-In Staff

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shazzer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Dec 2013 at 7:01pm
I'm wondering if the new Zinertek Trees Environment will work with this. I don't see any reason why not, as they are a direct replacement for the autogen trees.

Just need to decide if I want to possibly throw the cash away, in case they don't Ermm

http://www.zinertek.com/flightsimulator/treeenvironmentx.html
clear to land View Drop Down
Check-In Staff
Check-In Staff

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote clear to land Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Dec 2013 at 9:37am
HiGuys,

Must agree with other post above , its a swings an round-abouts situ. obiviously certain updates need doing esp on the "scenery building placement" issue ..Both Newcastle and Sunderland football stadiums av what appears to be a large factory on the pitch as I fly out of my home base EGNT Newcastle Int .. surely this cud even shud have been addressed before release !!! obv there is issues up an down the country for other users too .. but all in all its a step in the right direction .

Neville.
462 View Drop Down
Check-In Staff
Check-In Staff

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 462 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Dec 2013 at 10:34pm
Comments and a Word of Warning for Earth Simulations Users

I purchased RevolutionX on 28 November and have been experimenting with it since, encountering a few problems. I have had FSX since it was first available and now run the main program on one SSD and all scenery add-ons on a second. GenX is in an All-In-One folder (AIO). It would have been nice to have had some detail about the installation on the JF product page as the manual is only available after starting the install program. If you have an AIO folder it is necessary to install RevX into that to enable it to find the texture files. Many of these Texture file (.agn) are then overwritten, so as explained earlier, practically all Treescapes are gone.

The main problem probably lies in the shared Autogen folder as some of RevX information (probably in default.xml) overwrites some other products data contained here. The greatest problem for me has been that Earth Simulations superb Shawbury Fields and the Scilly Isles were changed to RevX. Even overwriting those texture files after RevX installation fails to get these two ES items working. A sad loss and one I was not aware of before purchase.

I have emailed support in both companies in the hope they can sort out a compromise for the Autogen and ES say they will try again to contact the RevX developer. Some of you might recall similar problems with Orb X. There is a lot on the Ground Environment X forum about it.

So what about RevX? Well, there are some interesting and positive points. It allows good frame rates, as others have said though, with less trees than Treescapes. If you have previously installed other trees packages, it will overwrite some of these in the Scenery/Global/Texture folder. If you have some scenery add-ons in your Scenery Library these will still work and so you can make the autogen more variable by adding these - like UK Refineries (this one does have a bit of a frame rate hit though) and UK Ports etc. I also have Cardiff which has the Castle, Millennium Stadium, Civic Centre etc and several tall buildings which integrate into RevX to break up the urban landscape. These and many more are available free on Avsim.

An interesting thing regarding the mention of mainly white buildings – I actually have brick with the occasional white gable! If you have developed your sim over the years like mine, these variations/alterations will be in the Autogen folder and depending on what RevX calls up – that is what you get. I suspect a virgin FSX installation will have the mainly white buildings.

The night lighting works well and if you use UTX roads you will see traffic. As far as I am aware this traffic is not included in RevX – as an experiment I turned it off in the Scenery Library and then there was no traffic.

One particular problem are the churches – these will sometimes appear on top of other buildings, on roads and on beaches.   From JF support “Unfortunately, due to the limitations with FSX, there is not much we can do to make it any better. Revolution X uses Auto gen to place buildings in areas which are highlighted as populated or airfields etc. This means that we cannot position the buildings on every house etc so it guesses where they are”.

So there you have it – it is a good add-on which transforms your plain Photoscenery without a substantial FPS hit – but be very aware you could lose some of your other installs..

462 View Drop Down
Check-In Staff
Check-In Staff

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 462 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Dec 2013 at 1:21am

Shazzer - Regarding alternative tree textures - there are some very good free ones available from Avsim made by Aime Leclercq and called TreeX v2.1 which you could try first.  There are three different texture qualities available and you can choose lighter or darker versions of these when installing as I recall.   The TreeX textures will be installed in the Scenery/Global/Texture folder using the supplied installer.   I did use them myself before the Treescapes install and actually used a backup of that folder, which included TreeX, to re-introduce the darker trees I preferred, rather than the Treescapes lighter version following the Treescapes install.

https://sites.google.com/site/aimecreations/freeware-fsx/treex

462 View Drop Down
Check-In Staff
Check-In Staff

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 462 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Dec 2013 at 1:04pm
RevolutionX, Shawbury Fields and Scilly Isles all playing together at last!

The problem was caused by the RevX developers changing the default.xml file in the  Autogen folder.   Although the original default.xml is backed up in the installation process (this backup is called Default.RXBack), the RevX replacement file appears to ignore the fact you might have other scenery installed other then the default, thereby preventing that scenery's proper operation.  In my Autogen folder the original default.xml file was 17,190kb, whilst the RevX replacement was just  7,413kb - it's pretty obvious by those sizes that something previously required is no longer there to do it's job.   I have received very useful assistance from Earth Simulations which has enabled me to fully get my Shawbury Fields and Scilly Isles back again and also even be able to run RevX.

If you are a genuine registered user of Earth Simulations products and have similar problems after installing RevX, then I recommend you contacting Darren and Vikki at ES via their support system.

Herky View Drop Down
P1
P1

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Herky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Dec 2013 at 4:11pm
My two penneth.

The "before" and "after" at 1.25? To me the houses/factories look too big? A scale issue I saw in GEX as well!

http://youtu.be/Qyb1wsiCzBA

I have had JF VFR scenery for some years now. Always kept it installed but have de selected it in the FSX scenery menu to run FTX. It can be re enabled by simple ticking the boxes.

The VFR from JF is a faithful photo scenery representation and useful for accurate practise cross country flights. Even if there are no trees and houses to crash into at 25'!

The test I make is to fly over an area I know well and compare it to what it should look like!

The only other question that crossed my mind was, does an install of Revolution X only affect JF VFR? It seems not from the previous posts. If it did only affect JF VFR, then you could just de select it at will and fly over other scenery, like FTX for example? This would make the install a safer one for me.

Cheers
David.
You Tube at HERKY231 or David Herky

iandavid View Drop Down
Check-In Staff
Check-In Staff

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote iandavid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Dec 2013 at 1:01am
I have the same problem. It recognises vol 1-3 and 6-8 but will not recognise Vol 4 or 5. Talking to Just Flight support but that is going at a snails pace

Paul Gardner
dogtrack View Drop Down
Check-In Staff
Check-In Staff

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dogtrack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Dec 2013 at 4:14pm
Not sure the Scottish Islands are part of the software. I had to use the Tile Proxy way for my install and there are only additional files into the Mainland Sceneries.
Arnie

...if it ain't broke, don't fix it...

i7 4770K : GTX 770 : 8GB Ram : FSX Gold : P3D : X-Plane : W7 64 :
iandavid View Drop Down
Check-In Staff
Check-In Staff

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote iandavid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Dec 2013 at 12:06am
Scottish Islands are included, it gives the cfg entries under the options tab of the program. However when you use these, on the opening screen of RevX, where it lists the sceneries to add, add is highlighted against vols 1-3 and 6-8 but against vol 4 & 5 is says "not found"

I've got a ticket with Just Flight but it is like watching paint dry. 

Paul
dogtrack View Drop Down
Check-In Staff
Check-In Staff

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dogtrack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Dec 2013 at 4:46am

Have an AIO install, although keep the Islands as a separate unit from the Mainland Scotland due to a slightly varying file structure. Will copy the Texture folder across and see what happens.

The Tile Proxy install only gave 2 options...W & E  UK.  Not at my machine at the moment but if I remember correctly the Scottish Textures were about 70MB and Eng/Wales about 650MB.

I doubt Just Flight will be "open" now until after the holiday. Shall have a play over the next day or two and get back to you.
Arnie

dogtrack View Drop Down
Check-In Staff
Check-In Staff

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dogtrack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Dec 2013 at 2:42pm
OK, don't know how your setup is or how much HDD space you have to play with.

I have been a little canibalistic in my approach wanting a swift conclusion, one way or the other.

I copied the Texture folder from Scottish mainland install into both the .5m Day & .6m Day Photo folders for Vol 4 & 5. Have taken 2 flights, one in the Western Isles Benbecula area and another around Sumburgh out in the Shetlands. Scattered dwellings are visible and some vegetation where applicable.

If You have a conventional install, I would suggest you create a Texture folder somewhere. Then COPY the Texture folders from each of the 3 Scottish regions into that folder, merging when asked.

Did not try a night flight, as I have UTX on board which gives me night lighting with photo scenery. I have to assume the night feature will work also...not that I guess there is much to see in that part of the world.

Now copy your new Texture folder into BOTH of the appropriate sections of Vol 4 & 5. Usually the Daytime Photo folder. Run your defrag program and start FSX...go fly...have fun. And a merry Xmas to you.
Arnie

iandavid View Drop Down
Check-In Staff
Check-In Staff

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote iandavid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Dec 2013 at 11:30pm
Thank you very, I'll give it a try.

Paul
iandavid View Drop Down
Check-In Staff
Check-In Staff

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote iandavid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Dec 2013 at 1:48pm
Hi Dogtrack

Thanks to your pointers I solved t in the end by creating tile proxies.

Paul
tucanto View Drop Down
Check-In Staff
Check-In Staff

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tucanto Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Feb 2014 at 12:49pm
Just purchased and installed Revolution X, no problem with install, Bit disappointed, as the amount of coverage with buildings, very sparse in large areas of the country and not quite as good as the product description (surprise surprise) I have the settings as advised in the manual scenery complexity and autogen density set on max. It does add to the look of the excellent Horizon photo scenery but I hope they bring out some updates to make it as good as they describe. I have Treescapes installed as well with no problems.
Phil Bridge View Drop Down
Check-In Staff
Check-In Staff

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Phil Bridge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Feb 2014 at 1:07pm
Hello 'tucanto'
I sent screenshots to JustFlight, who seemed surprised to see 'industrial' buildings scattered over housing estates etc, and they said they will forward them to the developer. So, maybe we will get some result on this, re getting the product 'as good as they describe'.
den19 View Drop Down
Check-In Staff
Check-In Staff

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote den19 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Feb 2014 at 1:29pm
Hi tucanto
I have had exactly the same problem with RevX and the lack of Autogen. You can see some screenies I posted about it on this thread: =

http://forum.justflight.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=21807&title=revolution-x-problems

I have been in touch with JF support and am currently awaiting their response following their discussions with the developer. I will report back here when I get a reply.

Have you contacted Support about this? The more people that do who have problems then it may add some weight to getting a solution.
Trader View Drop Down
Ground Crew
Ground Crew

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trader Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Feb 2014 at 7:40pm
Hello all.
I have FTX Global install, my guess is that Rev X and VFR photo sceneries are not compatible and will cause problems. Am I right?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic