This forum is in read-only mode for archive purposes, please use our new forum at https://community.justflight.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Just Flight Products > DC-8 Jetliner Series 10 through 70
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

DC8 Fuel System

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Ground Crew
Ground Crew

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike70 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: DC8 Fuel System
    Posted: 05 Nov 2013 at 12:34pm

For those who have figured it out, my congratulations. However, I am having very little luck trying to see how to operate this thing correctly. I'm no rookie to such tank logic and operate similar systems on the 707 and 727.

If anyone has decoded the panel maybe you could offer some advice. In the meantime, I submitted the following ticket:

"Your manual has no instructions or examples of how to balance fuel loads. You show how to set it up before start, but no explanation of the cross feed levers or boost pumps and other important matters.

Please revise your manual or create an additional manual (with some diagrams) for this matter. It is very annoying to try to put a partial fuel load in the airplane that appears to be balanced, then find out that the engines are not actually burning fuel in a balanced manner."

jdetrick View Drop Down
Check-In Staff
Check-In Staff

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jdetrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Nov 2013 at 1:45pm
The way JF modelled the fuel system and start procedures in no way bears any resemblance to how this thing was operated in real life.
Mike70 View Drop Down
Ground Crew
Ground Crew

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike70 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Nov 2013 at 3:21pm
It certainly seems so; I think they tried to work around the limitations of FSX modeling of fuel system tank naming etc; here is what I think was the end result:  (for the -21)

Center1 = 7, 0, 0, 2976, 0//    19939 lbs - #1 Main
Center2 = 7, 0, 0, 2976, 0//    19939 lbs - #3 Main
Center3 = 5, 0, 0, 0, 0//           0  lbs (dummy??)
LeftMain = 5, 15, 0, 2589, 0//  17346 lbs - #2 Main
RightMain = 5, -15, 0,2589, 0// 17346 lbs - #4 Main
LeftAux =5, 20, 0, 1846, 0//    12368 lbs - #2 Alt
RightAux =5, -20, 0, 1846, 0//  12368 lbs - #3 Alt
LeftTip =5, 24, 0, 1365, 0//    9145  lbs - #1 Alt
RightTip=5, -24, 0, 1365, 0//   9145  lbs - #4 Alt

This appears to be an 8 tank system, not really sure of the purpose of Center3; it does not show up when looking at the fuel/payload menu when the aircraft is active in FSX.

Looking at the FAA TCDS, these airplanes had lots of capacity/tankage options and as you said, balancing was supposed to be "automatic" but closely monitored. Engine out or other problems obviously would require manually cross feeding to stay symmetrical. Thanks for your comment.
jdetrick View Drop Down
Check-In Staff
Check-In Staff

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jdetrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Nov 2013 at 7:27pm
I really wish that I could attach files here, it would make this easier to explain.  The fuel system on this airplane was actually much easier to manage than what it looks.  First, all engines fed from their respective main tank, unless there was a problem.  Crossfeed levers were normally in the up position (normal) unless there was a problem.  You never really had a fuel imbalance issue unless you flew for a prolonged period with an engine out.  The only time that I really had to crossfeed fuel was 7 hours into a 12 hour flight and we had to shut down #3.  All starts, takeoffs and landings were down feeding from your respective main tank.  No crossfeeding allowed.  The fuel selectors (the ones with the white knobs) were only used when there was an issue with it's corresponding main tank.  Such as a fill valve being failed in the closed position.  Or the boost pump in the aux tank failed.  The engine driven fuel pump would suck fuel out of a tank.  On check rides the check engineer would usually have you demonstrate that you knew how to suction feed from the #1 alternate tank to the #4 motor.  So after take off, assuming you had a full bag of gas, you would place the center fuel selector lever down, turn on the center tank pumps, open the main tank fill
valves and fuel would transfer from the center to the mains.  When the center main quantity dropped to 23000 lbs, you would move the fwd aux selector to down and the two fwd wing aux tanks would gravity feed into the center.  With the center and fwd aux tanks empty, you would shut off the center boost pumps, close the fuel selector levers, turn on the aux tank boost pumps, rotate the main tank fill valves to their intermediate position and now the aux tanks will keep the mains filled.  There were some float switches to maintain a certain amount of fuel in the aux tanks as there was a certain schedule to it.  But I'm not going to go into that much detail.  As you can see, there's not really that much to it.  I would really love to get a hold of whatever manual JF used to see how they came up with this procedure for engine start.
Georgeb View Drop Down
Just Flight Staff
Just Flight Staff

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Georgeb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Nov 2013 at 9:35am
Don't forget to email our support team with any bugs or issues you think you may have: http://www.justflight.com/support-contact
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic