This forum is in read-only mode for archive purposes, please use our new forum at https://community.justflight.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Just Flight Products > DC-8 Jetliner Series 10 through 70
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

DC-8 AP & other problems

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
P/UT
P/UT

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Paul Golding Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: DC-8 AP & other problems
    Posted: 02 Nov 2013 at 9:23am
A couple of issues that I found last night that could do with confirming by others.

First was that with the AP holding Alt and Hdg, I found the alt wandering a lot during turns, like by 100's of feet.

Second was that during turns (by hand or AP), this DC-8 is scrubbing massive amounts of speed.

Thirdly is that even with YD on, the turn ball is at the end of its travel in turns, suggesting the need for a lot if rudder. It's not normal to use rudder in an airliner.
swisschris View Drop Down
Check-In Staff
Check-In Staff

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote swisschris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Nov 2013 at 7:28pm
Installed the DC8 yesterday, so still in the familiarisation phase, I only fly in virtual cockpit, but so far:

- it flies ok, none of the problems you mention,

- several faults in the autopilot/autothrottle control and display modes,  no response to input on most of the turnable knobs on the instrument and autopilot panels, and the complete ap/fd annunciator panel u/s,

- flap position gauge u/s

- although reverse thrust is correctly programmed in fsuipc, it does not work.

Mike70 View Drop Down
Ground Crew
Ground Crew

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike70 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Nov 2013 at 12:39am
The AP overcorrecting in turns is apparently because of pitch acceleration responses - it overshoots the required pitch change.

In the aircraft.cfg file, find the section [autopilot]

within that, find the line

max_pitch_acceleration=1.000000

change it to max_pitch_acceleration=0.5//1.000000

The "//" insert acts as a comment breaker (the file only reads the "0.5" value)

You then can fool around with the 0.5 value to home in on performance you are happy with.

It greatly improved the problem for me, at least in the -40. Good luck --
High Iron View Drop Down
Check-In Staff
Check-In Staff

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote High Iron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Nov 2013 at 5:52pm
I too have noted that during turns on the autopilot that the rudder pedals are in full deflection during turns.
Problems I have encountered with the autopilot is switching between HDG and NAV modes, the ALT hold is disengaging. Hovering the mouse pointer over the NAV knob shows VOR tracking is "off" when in fact it is on.

During autopilot decent at a rate of 2,000 FPM the autopilot blew through the dialed in altitude (which other than the tooltips, does not seem to be displayed anywhere. I'm trying to research this more.), by 400' then pulled up to climb to the assigned altitude which it overshot again, and then finally settled to the set altitude. I know these old autopilots where not the best, but this behavior does seem very strange.
Paul Golding View Drop Down
P/UT
P/UT

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Paul Golding Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Nov 2013 at 12:21am
Originally posted by swisschris swisschris wrote:

- flap position gauge u/s
You need to switch on the 'other' battery; on the left side of the FE panel.....weird I know.
Originally posted by swisschris swisschris wrote:

- although reverse thrust is correctly programmed in fsuipc, it does not work.
Maybe you didn't extend the ejectors first?

flyforever View Drop Down
P/UT
P/UT

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote flyforever Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Nov 2013 at 1:15am
The altimeter is a tough one to read correctly. It could definitely use a different version altimeter.
Altitude in AP mode oscillates--almost as if the plane were in a thunderstorm.
tc
FV
Mike70 View Drop Down
Ground Crew
Ground Crew

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike70 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Nov 2013 at 2:18pm
As for reverse thrust, extending the ejectors will activate reverse capability, and the visual extension and clamshell doors work very nicely when viewed from the outside!!

By the way - the use of only 2 ejector switches on the overhead panel. I presume that this is to make easy use of the inboard engines in reverse during descent, if need for a steeper descent path from altitude??
flyforever View Drop Down
P/UT
P/UT

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote flyforever Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Nov 2013 at 12:47am
Can someone confirm that the NAV loc works? I can't seem to make it track a nav.
tony
FV
P/UT
P/UT

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Paul Golding Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Nov 2013 at 1:32am
Originally posted by flyforever flyforever wrote:

Can someone confirm that the NAV loc works? I can't seem to make it track a nav.
tony
Just gave it a try to check, and yes, it works fine.
alexcolka View Drop Down
Ground Crew
Ground Crew

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote alexcolka Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Nov 2013 at 9:06pm
I use the default key combinations, it's simpler and faster ctrl+n for nav track or ctrl+a for approach mode.
fly37 View Drop Down
Check-In Staff
Check-In Staff

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fly37 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Nov 2013 at 11:52pm
have really problems with AP... up and down over the  desired altitude... 
if i will use one external AP can work more precisily?
all my land become one emercency land..

fly37
P/UT
P/UT

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Paul Golding Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Nov 2013 at 6:47am
No, an external AP isn't the answer. We should wait for the developers to provide corrected flight dynamics files, as there quite a few things that need fixing here.
speedbirduk View Drop Down
Check-In Staff
Check-In Staff

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote speedbirduk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Nov 2013 at 10:50am
Hi All, waited for years for a good DC8 and it's here. A few issues need ironing out.

Have read the DC8 Manual a few times now and have floan the DC8 on several flights - she's great to fly but needs some taming. I too have encountered a few issues, mainly with the AP and adjusting the altitude - I have to click on the knob, hold the left key down and drag it across the screen to adjust - but it's only changing by a few hundred feet each time - a real pain if you've got to add  or loose 10k or more.

It's the same for the other knobs that need KTS speed changes, heading, NDB, course and also NAV and COMM changes. I also had a few problems starting all engines following the instruction correctly. Manage to start her up after about 5 attempts so must have been me! Anyway, I'm slowly getting there and many of the issues I originally thought existedhave now gone away. I too lost speed on AP during turns and thought the AP disenguaged by itself - did not press 'Z' or anything like that. GPS/NAV switch is ok for me

By the way the parking brake is located left of captains seat on the nose wheel steering - took me a while to see this as I could not find instructions in the manual for  his - did a CTRL F too.

fly37 View Drop Down
Check-In Staff
Check-In Staff

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fly37 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Nov 2013 at 1:07pm
Originally posted by Paul Golding Paul Golding wrote:

No, an external AP isn't the answer. We should wait for the developers to provide corrected flight dynamics files, as there quite a few things that need fixing here.

I like this DC 8 and I will wait for the correction... thank for your aswer!

fly37
Bob57 View Drop Down
Check-In Staff
Check-In Staff

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bob57 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Nov 2013 at 4:38pm
My work around has been to back up the original aircraft.cfg and copy the autopilot settings from the default B737 aircraft.cfg and use my GoFlight MCP-Pro, until these issues are resolved. Bob
fly37 View Drop Down
Check-In Staff
Check-In Staff

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fly37 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Nov 2013 at 7:53pm
Originally posted by Bob57 Bob57 wrote:

My work around has been to back up the original aircraft.cfg and copy the autopilot settings from the default B737 aircraft.cfg and use my GoFlight MCP-Pro, until these issues are resolved. Bob

I did, Bob, what you did following your action.. and I feel the AP is more stable... i dont have the GoFlight MCP-Pro, but now I can land wiyhout do emercency all time!
and I hope this problem can be resolved..

thanks  

fly37
Bob57 View Drop Down
Check-In Staff
Check-In Staff

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bob57 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Nov 2013 at 12:01am
Fly37, Glad it worked for you, as I said it's good work around till the service pack is released. Bob
fly37 View Drop Down
Check-In Staff
Check-In Staff

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fly37 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Nov 2013 at 12:09am

Fly37, Glad it worked for you, as I said it's good work around till the service pack is released. Bob

yes BOB  I agree, for that I wait for the service pack...
johntaylormolly View Drop Down
Check-In Staff
Check-In Staff

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote johntaylormolly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Nov 2013 at 10:10pm
Yes the AP needs polishing and tuning. Also, wings at 30k altitude tended to roll up and down in AP. I thought I was the only one but this appears to be a common issue. Thanks for fixing this!
John Taylor
Cool View Drop Down
Check-In Staff
Check-In Staff

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cool Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Nov 2013 at 9:13am

HI Bob57, I have the GO Flight MCP advanced but it remain with the display off, whatever I do...
I 'll try your work around to check if I can make a kind of switch it on...
Pascal
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic