This forum is in read-only mode for archive purposes, please use our new forum at https://community.justflight.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Just Chat > Just Chat - General Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

This Knife wil blow you apart

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 7>
Author
Moderator in Command
Moderator in Command

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MartinW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jul 2008 at 9:24am

Look up SA's basic law on wiki. It's all there I think.

Okay then… Smile

Quote Corporal and capital punishment; right to representation

Saudi Arabia is one of a number of countries where courts continue to impose corporal punishment, including amputations of hands and feet for robbery, and lashings for lesser crimes such as "sexual deviance" and drunkenness. The number of lashes is not clearly prescribed by law and is varied according to the discretion of judges, and ranges from dozens of lashes to several thousand, usually applied over a period of weeks or months. In 2002, the United Nations Committee against Torture criticized Saudi Arabia over the amputations and floggings it carries out under its interpretation of Sharia. The Saudi delegation responded defending "legal traditions" held since the inception of Islam 1400 years ago and rejected interference in its legal system.

Sorry Odai, you have every right to your opinion, but I would rather the UK stay in the 21st century than go back to the dark ages. 

If the human race is to survive, we must progress beyond brutality and violence. Brutalising criminals does not achieve that end.

GBL View Drop Down
P1
P1

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GBL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jul 2008 at 1:29pm
I don't agree with amputations of hands and feet but whats wrong with lashes ( Yes,Yes,Yes.). The trouble with this country is that we have no decent deterent. I think lashes for certain crimes would be better than the pathetic Community Service. It could be an intermediate between Community Service and Prison.  
Anyway this knife should not be for public sale, not even an animal deserves to die in this way.
Aircraft Engines are the sound of Freedom.

ART
VulcanB2 View Drop Down
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VulcanB2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jul 2008 at 3:03pm
I agree.

I was watching a program the other night about the Police catching thieves. They were hijacking lorries and stealing them and their cargo, others were gassing the drivers as they slept and stealing their cargo, etc.. and do you know what they get typically? 6 Months *suspended sentence* and 100 hours community service.

If you don't know what a suspended sentence is, it means you don't actually go to jail, but commit a crime during that period, and you're straight off to jail. What do the criminals do? They lie low for the 6 months, and wait for it to expire. Ouch

No wonder they carry on as they do.

Meanwhile, if you defraud the tax man of just a couple of hundred pounds of tax, you could face up to 7 years in jail.

Go figure...

We need the death penalty for murder, treason and terrorism. We need much tougher sentences for everything else. Not enough prisons? BUILD MORE!

Best regards,
Vulcan.
MartinW View Drop Down
Moderator in Command
Moderator in Command

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MartinW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jul 2008 at 6:01pm

Lashing indeed! Do you honestly think the government would introduce such a measure? Of course they wouldn’t a ridiculous suggestion.

It astonishes me that you advocate forms of punishment that we progressed beyond hundreds of years ago.

Do you have any idea what kind of state an individual ends up in after lashing? It's not a smack on the bottom you know? It's state sanctioned torture.

And someone has to administer this archaic punishment.

In a civilized society the objective is to keep the offender away from the general public, so they are incapable of committing the same crime again. A life sentence achieves that and 'should' be a life sentence, and many of the terms in jail should reflect the crime better, but to advocate punishments that were used in the dark ages is ludicrous.

It will obviously never happen of course and neither will Saudi style justice, so a pointless suggestion.

I am not soft on crime and would gladly see sentences and fines increased dramatically and a perpetrator never released from jail for murder, but to engage in state sanctioned torture, which is what lashing is, belongs in history not the 21st century.

Such punishments are ineffective as deterrents and are representative of a time long gone.

The reason people suggest such things, are out of ignorance and an illogical emotive response to the crime. To engage in the same act as a violent offender is obviously wrong.

Odai View Drop Down
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Odai Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jul 2008 at 6:27pm
Quote To severe a limb of for pick-pocketing is obscene.

No it's not, it's perfectly acceptable. The individual did not need to do what they did, they were perfectly aware of what they were doing, and of the punishment. They deserved it in every way. It's that sort of thinking Martin that has screwed up society in the UK Martin.

Martin, I've said time and time again, nobody should care whether your arguments on ethics have any foundation or not (I believe they don't), what matters is this way of punishment DOES have an effect; a positive one. It protects innocent people. So you're willing to let criminals get away without these so called "barbaric punishments", knowing very well that it results in far higher rates of crime against innocent people? Lack of capital punishment in the Uk has resulted in the deaths of many people who have done nothing wrong. There is less of a deterrent in the UK. I don't give a damn if it's backward, barbaric, inhumane. What I do care about is the fact that what you call dark-age techniques for punishing criminals saves lives.

Quote The benefits of capital punishment are illusory, research has demonstrated that time and time again.

Prove it. Martin, in almost every debate we have on this forum, you constantly make assumptions which have no basis at all, and which you never provide proof for. I've thrown in plenty of evidence for what I've said.

Quote If the human race is to survive, we must progress beyond brutality and violence. Brutalising criminals does not achieve that end.

Are you serious?? Just what bizarre ideas do you have about this form of punishment? What on Earth does "brutalising criminals" have to do with the survival of the human race? If anything, it's lack of punishment and deterrents that threaten the survival of the human race.  

Quote that we progressed beyond hundreds of years ago.

No, what we DROPPED hundreds of years ago. We haven't made progress at all.

Quote Do you have any idea what kind of state an individual ends up in after lashing?

Precisely the point, it's a good DETERRENT.

Quote The reason people suggest such things, are out of ignorance and an illogical emotive response to the crime.

I actually reckon you've made a good point there, except for one thing. It's A reason. Not THE reason. The acceptable reason is that, again, it protects innocent people. Forget emotive responses, it achieves results, which is why people suggest it.

Quote To engage in the same act as a violent offender is obviously wrong.

Again, one of your totally subjective statements. This can be totally shot down in flames anyway by what I've said before.
ʎɐqǝ uo pɹɐoqʎǝʞ ɐ ʎnq ı ǝɯıʇ ʇsɐן ǝɥʇ sı sıɥʇ
Dambuster View Drop Down
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dambuster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jul 2008 at 6:39pm
Originally posted by VulcanB2 VulcanB2 wrote:

Not enough prisons? BUILD MORE!Best regards,Vulcan.

Or build more schools and stuff and make education FAR more serious than it is now...
MartinW View Drop Down
Moderator in Command
Moderator in Command

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MartinW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jul 2008 at 7:23pm

No it's not, it's perfectly acceptable. The individual did not need to do what they did, they were perfectly aware of what they were doing, and of the punishment. They deserved it in every way. It's that sort of thinking Martin that has screwed up society in the UK Martin.

Tell you what Odai, you have some very, very extreme views, it's actually quite worrying.

The perpetrator deserved a punishment that was fitting for the crime, to chop off a persons limb for stealing a wallet is so ridiculously barbaric and over the top, that it belongs in a totally barbaric and primitive society.

Martin, I've said time and time again, nobody should care whether your arguments on ethics have any foundation or not (I believe they don't), what matters is this way of punishment DOES have an effect; a positive one. It protects innocent people. So you're willing to let criminals get away without these so called "barbaric punishments", knowing very well that it results in far higher rates of crime against innocent people? Lack of capital punishment in the Uk has resulted in the deaths of many people who have done nothing wrong. There is less of a deterrent in the UK. I don't give a damn if it's backward, barbaric, inhumane. What I do care about is the fact that what you call dark-age techniques for punishing criminals saves lives.

As I said, you would hammer in a nail with a nuclear bomb, hate to be around when you do your DIY.

So you say not chopping off peoples hands for minor crimes has screwed up society, I see. If you don't see how preposterous that statement is there's something wrong somewhere.

Well, don't know where to start on that one, there's so many holes in it it's untrue.

You don't seem to have a clue what moral values actually are.

knowing very well that it results in far higher rates of crime

Not according to the criminologists it doesn’t.

There is no evidence that the death penalty is an effective deterrent, quite the opposite actually as Richard said, consider the US and many other nations were the death penalty exists and the murder rate is high. There is plenty of research out there on this.

There is less of a deterrent in the UK.

Very true, the sentences are a joke. And don't forget that no western nation apart from some states of the US have a death penalty.

dark-age techniques for punishing criminals saves lives.

No they don't, except in your mind. See my link later.

Prove it. Martin, in almost every debate we have on this forum, you constantly make assumptions which have no basis at all, and which you never provide proof for. I've thrown in plenty of evidence for what I've said.

And your proof for the effectiveness of the death penalty please? I haven't seen any yet. And I mean real proof, in terms of many nations, not just your opinion based on the murder rate in one country that just happens to be low.

Are you serious?? Just what bizarre ideas do you have about this form of punishment? What on Earth does "brutalising criminals" have to do with the survival of the human race? If anything, it's lack of punishment and deterrents that threaten the survival of the human race.  

If  lashing [torture] of a criminal, and a petty criminal at that, and the decapitation and severing of limbs all sanctioned by the state, isn't indicative of a primitive and barbaric society then I don’t know what is. If the human race continues down the road of barbarity that can hardly be a good indicator for our future survival can it Odai. Or do you think that an advanced species continues to engage in torture and murder? Not my definition of advancement. There’s no hope for us if we retain that sort of abhorrent attitude. Sorry you don't get it.

No, what we DROPPED hundreds of years ago. We haven't made progress at all.

Totally incorrect, if I interpret that the way you intended. Of course we have made progress in terms of crime. In the days of being hung drawn and quartered, crime was prevalent in society. To suggest that there is more crime now tells me you need to study history a little more.

I actually reckon you've made a good point there, except for one thing. It's A reason. Not THE reason. The acceptable reason is that, again, it protects innocent people. Forget emotive responses, it achieves results, which is why people suggest it.

No, emotive responses to crime achieve exactly the opposite, It results in the innocent being convicted and the punishment not fitting the crime.

If anyone harmed any of my family, I wouldn’t need the law to be extreme, I would rip the guys head off myself... which is precisely why the police, the judge, the jury, and the people that determine the penalties, absolutely have to be impartial and emotionally detached. It's the basis of the law in any free and fare society.

As for your last response, I would suggest you give up your intended study of physics and study logic, ethics, and philosophy in general.

you aren't just arguing with me, you are arguing with the most learned people on the planet and the governments of the entire western world, the death penalty and the ridiculous punishments you advocate were outlawed in the western world long ago... thank god.

Oops, sorry I nearly forgot.  Your comment regardin... ’my assumptions with no basis in fact’, you know me better than that, something I never do.

Deterrence: States Without the Death Penalty Have Had Consistently Lower Murder Rates

Quote States Without the Death Penalty Have Better Record on Homicide Rates - A new survey by the New York Times found that states without the death penalty have lower homicide rates than states with the death penalty. The Times reports that ten of the twelve states without the death penalty have homicide rates below the national average, whereas half of the states with the death penalty have homicide rates above. During the last 20 years, the homicide rate in states with the death penalty has been 48% - 101% higher than in states without the death penalty. "I think Michigan made a wise decision 150 years ago," said the state's governor, John Engler, a Republican, referring to the state's abolition of the death penalty in 1846. "We're pretty proud of the fact that we don't have the death penalty." (New York Times, 9/22/00)

Quote A survey of experts from the American Society of Criminology, the Academy of Criminal Justice Sciences, and the Law and Society Association showed that the overwhelming majority did not believe that the death penalty is a proven deterrent to homicide. Over 80% believe the existing research fails to support a deterrence justification for the death penalty. Similarly, over 75% of those polled do not believe that increasing the number of executions, or decreasing the time spent on death row before execution, would produce a general deterrent effect. (M. Radelet and R. Akers, Deterrence and the Death Penalty: The Views of the Experts, 1995)
  • Research reported in Homicide Studies, Vol. 1, No.2, May 1997, indicates that executions may actually increase the number of murders, rather than deter murders. Prof. Ernie Thomson at Arizona State University reported a brutalizing effect from an execution in Arizona, consistent with the results of a similar study in Oklahoma.

At a pivotal moment in the debate over capital punishment, a new report finds that California's death penalty system is "dysfunctional" and "close to collapse."

For decades, opponents of capital punishment have been saying just that: The death penalty doesn't work, it risks executing innocent people, it's riddled with (literally) fatal errors and it costs far more that the alternative of permanent incarceration.

Sorry, I could post more but i would be here all night. there's loads out there.
    MartinW View Drop Down
    Moderator in Command
    Moderator in Command

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MartinW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jul 2008 at 7:36pm
    http://pauaprincess.wordpress.com/2007/06/12/does-the-death-penalty-work/

Bit more for you to read. Most murders are a result of aggression, not many are pre meditated planned murders, therefore the death penalty is not a deterrent.

Here’s a little story you might be interested in…

When I was at school I had a friend, not a close friend but a friend all the same. His name was Barry; I won’t mention his second name for obvious reasons. He came from a very dysfunctional family.

Shortly before he left school he was in trouble with the law, his criminal activity continued after leaving school. Yes, he was a thief, shops, belongings, he didn’t care.

Guess what, he’s now a couple of years younger than me and a model citizen wouldn’t dream of stealing anyone’s belongings.

A credit to society, thank god he didn’t have his hand chopped off for a minor crime.

reider View Drop Down
    Chief Pilot
    Chief Pilot

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote reider Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jul 2008 at 8:45pm
    Dying to say he`s pretty armless now, but I shall resist the temptation.....

Reider
    roachy View Drop Down
    Chief Pilot
    Chief Pilot

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote roachy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jul 2008 at 10:13pm
    To progress a nation doesn't have to implement brutal treatment to criminals - people all too often make mistakes and they should not be murdered or mutilated for these. Manslaughter charges are a little weak in the UK- though it may be understandable for a man to get six years in jail for accidentally killing a man attempting to rob him, it is not understandable for a street criminal to get such little jailtime if he mortally wounded a man while trying to beat him but not murder him.
    The legal system in the UK simply doesn't punish youngsters enough too - most knife crimes are commited by teenagers who get relatively little in the way of punishment.
    I have had firsthand experience with such a thing - my ear was mutilated by a gang of children, the eldest of which was no more than 13 years old. And I am told I live in a good part of the country. And the police, did nothing, because mutilation was not considered a serious crime Angry . They also said they had lack of evidence, because despite the fact that one of the gang confessed the name of the actual perpetrator, the perpetrator, only twelve years old, denied doing so (well obviously, he won't admit so).
    The ASBO system is rather useless too: it seems strongly biased towards kids stealing chocolate bars from petrol stations and teenagers drinking on the street at 3AM, instead of punishing the 12 year old maniacs that beat the victim after they've already stolen his belongings.
    Luke Roach
    Flightboy View Drop Down
    Chief Pilot
    Chief Pilot

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Flightboy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jul 2008 at 10:53pm

Tell you what Odai, you have some very, very extreme views, it's actually quite worrying.

The perpetrator deserved a punishment that was fitting for the crime, to chop off a persons limb for stealing a wallet is so ridiculously barbaric and over the top, that it belongs in a totally barbaric and primitive society.

I understand Odai point here! if i go to saudi tomorrow get drunk and have sex in the street i know what will happen and what my punishment would be and as such i would have no grounds to complain when it was carried out

actually as Richard said, consider the US and many other nations were the death penalty exists and the murder rate is high. There is plenty of research out there on this.

And if you look close at the research you see there is many reasons why that is so. Its no suprise to learn a death penalty state like california has more murders than North Dakota

To engage in the same act as a violent offender is obviously wrong.

Come on martin your a clever man right? were not talking gang rape and torture  followed by a brutal murder to put someone to death, were talking a needle prick in the arm in a controlled measured enviroment.

Nice to see another discussion on this forum that gets me thinking Smile

flightboy

MartinW View Drop Down
    Moderator in Command
    Moderator in Command

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MartinW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jul 2008 at 11:24pm

I understand Odai point here! if i go to saudi tomorrow get drunk and have sex in the street i know what will happen and what my punishment would be and as such i would have no grounds to complain when it was carried out

Irrelevant, the discussion wasn't about your fate if you went to SA. It was about the morality of amputating a limb for a minor crime. It’s obviously wrong, I am astonished that anyone on this forum would advocate such a punishment for a minor crime like theft. It actually appalls me. If someone stole my wallet I would be angry and demand they were imprisoned, but if the state tried to chop off that person’s hand I would be appalled, I would find that abhorrent and drop charges immediately. I guess I’m a nicer person that you.

Its no suprise to learn a death penalty state like california has more murders than North Dakota

The research included all states.

When the death penalty is studied, by criminologists, and other academics, the results are always the same. The research is always inconclusive. No evidence for a deterrent effect when looked at objectively and on a large enough scale to be meaningful. Small scale studies mean nothing. Pointing to a country and saying look it works here means nothing. This has been debated over and over again by governments and experts for many years. The result of that process is that no industrialized western nation, apart from some states in the US has a death penalty. If it was a sure fire means for eradicating murder you can bet it would be more widely implemented in the west  than just in the US.

Come on martin your a clever man right? were not talking gang rape and torture  followed by a brutal murder to put someone to death, were talking a needle prick in the arm in a controlled measured enviroment.

So that’s okay then is it? To sanitize it and make it nice and clean, no blood and guts, palatable for you, makes state sanctioned murder okay does it?

Death is death. To take a life is to take a life. To take a human life is murder, in the case of the death penalty it's state sanctioned murder. This is the point, the means of meeting ones demise is not relevant. Just because the crook did it dirty and you did it clean doesn’t make it right.

Lock them up for good and you haven't got an issue have you, no moral dilemma to contend with.

Flit View Drop Down
    Ground Crew
    Ground Crew

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Flit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jul 2008 at 11:26pm

For those who consider any form of capital punishment an acceptable punishment for a crime:

Think about the following questions, answer comprehensively, don’t cut corners.

For what reasons do criminals commit crimes?

Do you agree with the statement: ‘once a criminal, always a criminal’?

Should convicted criminals be given the opportunity to rejoin society with the same attributes as the rest of society?

Can some crimes be repaid/corrected/repaired?

Should a convicted criminal be made to pay the penalty of the crime for the rest of his/her life?

How might a convicted amputee be limited in their likelihood of finding employment?

Are all crimes acts of cruelty?

If the basis for law is ‘an eye for an eye’, what problems may arise?

I really think those arguing for capital punishment haven’t really thought things through properly.

Flightboy View Drop Down
    Chief Pilot
    Chief Pilot

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Flightboy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jul 2008 at 1:16am
    Irrelevant, the discussion wasn't about your fate if you went to SA. It was about the morality of amputating a limb for a minor crime. It’s obviously wrong, I am astonished that anyone on this forum would advocate such a punishment for a minor crime like theft. It actually appalls me. If someone stole my wallet I would be angry and demand they were imprisoned, but if the state tried to chop off that person’s hand I would be appalled, I would find that abhorrent and drop charges immediately. I guess I’m a nicer person that you.

If i went to SA and was mugged i would happily watch the criminal have his hand cut off as thats the rules there and i respect that the same as i respect peoples way of lifes, sexual prefrences and religions. I dont claim to be better than them unlike you seem to think we are just because our laws and punishments are diffrent. Maybe its the age gap

So that’s okay then is it? To sanitize it and make it nice and clean, no blood and guts, palatable for you, makes state sanctioned murder okay does it?

Death is death. To take a life is to take a life. To take a human life is murder, in the case of the death penalty it's state sanctioned murder. This is the point, the means of meeting ones demise is not relevant. Just because the crook did it dirty and you did it clean doesn’t make it right.

And murder is murder. again i can only assume our point of view is caused by out age diffrence. Im less worried about if a child killers rights to live than you clearly. I would rather have the moral issue of killing them than the bill for keeping them alive and giving them a right they took away from another.

When the death penalty is studied, by criminologists, and other academics, the results are always the same. The research is always inconclusive. No evidence for a deterrent effect when looked at objectively and on a large enough scale to be meaningful

Because the data is flawed from the start hense why it is inconclusive. Each state is diffrent so trying to prove one is better with or without the penalty is impossible.

Again im thinking maybe our change of views is just the gap in age. maybe younger people are more heartless and clinical nowdays? which of course could be part of the problem!

flightboy

Flightboy View Drop Down
    Chief Pilot
    Chief Pilot

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Flightboy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jul 2008 at 1:28am

Many! but whether your hooked on crack or a pedophile if you commit a crime you have to be punished and i think this is a problem in the uk we like to make excuses for people.

Depends! a thief who steals bread to feed his family is a bit diffrent to fred west. Some can be helped some cant it depends on what crimes they commit obv.

Should convicted criminals be given the opportunity to rejoin society with the same attributes as the rest of society?

Again depends on the crime. You want a child killer living next door because some accademic has treated him and says hes no danger? or would you just want no risks atall?

Raise the dead? if you can let me know a new elvis album would be amazing! but is 50hours community service going to stop a mugger from mugging? or a gang member from stabbing another?

Should a convicted criminal be made to pay the penalty of the crime for the rest of his/her life?

Again your asking a very open question! people who steal a pint of milk or steal your car obv not but killers and other serious criminals yes!

How might a convicted amputee be limited in their likelihood of finding employment?

Again SA has its own rules and im not debating them as it has noting to do with our country. When i go there i would live by their rules like they have to ours when in the uk.

Again so open its hard to answer. Steal food for your family no obv but kill a child because you drink drive yes.

Zero. I think you thinking i want you to be punched if you get in a fight were talking serious crimes not shoplifting or jumping a red light. Can i see a problem of being a member of a society that kills the animals that kill others? no i see no problem

flightboy

Flit View Drop Down
    Ground Crew
    Ground Crew

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Flit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jul 2008 at 4:23am
    Originally posted by Flightboy Flightboy wrote:

Many! but whether your hooked on crack or a pedophile if you commit a crime you have to be punished and i think this is a problem in the uk we like to make excuses for people.

You haven't answered the question properly (many!). The question is designed to make you realise that some crimes are commited due to a desperate need. I'm not making excuses for them all, but the motivation can determine the punishment sometimes.

Depends! a thief who steals bread to feed his family is a bit diffrent to fred west. Some can be helped some cant it depends on what crimes they commit obv.

That's right. So, if we've cut off their hands already, how can those who do turn around, successfully lead a normal life?

Again depends on the crime. You want a child killer living next door because some accademic has treated him and says hes no danger? or would you just want no risks atall?

You haven't answered the question. Of course it depends on the crime. You could answer that for ALL the questions, and how much wiser would you be? The question is designed to make you realise that if we cut the hands off criminals, they would not really have any success at rejoining society. They'd be disabled, outcast, scorned and at a severe physical disadvantage.

Raise the dead? if you can let me know a new elvis album would be amazing! but is 50hours community service going to stop a mugger from mugging? or a gang member from stabbing another?

That's right, you can't raise the dead. What about stealing a stereo? Can that be repaid? And 40 years from now that thieving teenager has grown up into a model citizen, or tried, but he has only one hand. Is that fitting? The question is 'some crimes', not all. My point is that you want this stereo thief whipped, or his hand removed. Do you really think that is fitting?

Again your asking a very open question! people who steal a pint of milk or steal your car obv not but killers and other serious criminals yes!

That's right. Some crimes are more serious than others. So, some should and some shouldn't. It's really just another question to help you realise that amputation, or whipping has permanent, lifelong consequences ...and you said yourself here, some don't deserve it.

How might a convicted amputee be limited in their likelihood of finding employment?Again SA has its own rules and im not debating them as it has noting to do with our country. When i go there i would live by their rules like they have to ours when in the uk.

We are discussing corporal punishment in the UK, or any westernised country as far as I'm concerned. It has everything to do with our country in this thread as some are suggesting we implement the same judicial system as that in SA. Again, the question is designed to make you think about how mutilation doesn't help anyone. Not what you think while on holiday in SA.

Again so open its hard to answer. Steal food for your family no obv but kill a child because you drink drive yes.

So, should the State's punishments be an example of physical, mutilating cruelty? 

Zero. I think you thinking i want you to be punched if you get in a fight were talking serious crimes not shoplifting or jumping a red light. Can i see a problem of being a member of a society that kills the animals that kill others? no i see no problem 

Not much thought went into that one then. Here are a couple of problems i see, off the top of my head:
    - Some crimes would be unpayable.
    - Individuals other than that who committed the crime would be put at a disadvantage as a result of the accused's punishment.
    - The jury would have to make decisions knowing that a death may result. This would make trials VERY tricky to say the least.
    - The accused may later turn out to be innocent.

I'm not implying that we should smile at criminals and send them to a counciler for a few weeks, and they'll turn around. I'm also not saying that present sentences are absolutely ideal. I agree that we should toughen up in some cases. What I am saying is that corporal punishment as a part of the judicial system is not a viable suggestion. The effects are far reaching and have worse consequences than those already in place.
    Flit View Drop Down
    Ground Crew
    Ground Crew

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Flit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jul 2008 at 4:42am

If i went to SA and was mugged i would happily watch the criminal have his hand cut off as thats the rules there

Are you serious?  Wacko

Because the data is flawed from the start hense why it is inconclusive. Each state is diffrent so trying to prove one is better with or without the penalty is impossible.

That smells of fart.

Again im thinking maybe our change of views is just the gap in age. maybe younger people are more heartless and clinical nowdays? which of course could be part of the problem!

Nooooo, there are older people of the same opinion as you. It's not that.
    MartinW View Drop Down
    Moderator in Command
    Moderator in Command

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MartinW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jul 2008 at 9:14am
    Thank god for some common sense and a deeper insight from Flit. Thumbs%20Up
    MartinW View Drop Down
    Moderator in Command
    Moderator in Command

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MartinW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jul 2008 at 9:39am

Quote The death penalty has absolutely no advantages over life imprisonment. Proponents of the death penalty often cite false interpretations about the death penalty that counter actual statistics. This includes the common belief that life imprisonment is more expensive than the death penalty, which is simply untrue.

According to the Legislative Bureau of the State of Wisconsin Fiscal Note, when Wisconsin legislators were debating reinstating the death penalty in 1993, they estimated that it would cost up to an additional $285,000 per capital case, $1.4 million to build a prison death row and $500,000 per year to staff it. Today, these numbers are likely even higher. Wisconsin must consider the price of utilizing the death penalty. The economy in Milwaukee would be the most likely to struggle due to the fact that the majority of murders in Wisconsin happen there. The cost of the death penalty in Milwaukee would limit the amount of money given to desperately needed social services, potentially causing even more problems since states with the death penalty often have much higher murder rates.

The Death Penalty is Not an Effective Deterrent

The purported reason for the death penalty is to deter crime. It is a criminological theory that one will avoid proceeding with an action if the consequences outweigh the gains. Thus, if our society sets the consequences for certain crimes as the loss of life, naturally the penalty will act as the deterrent. However, this is not true for the death penalty. “Scientific studies have consistently failed to demonstrate that executions deter people from committing crime. The respected Thorsten Sellin studies of the United States in 1962, 1967 and 1980 concluded that the death penalty was not a deterrent,” (Death Penalty Focus).[ii]

Flightboy View Drop Down
    Chief Pilot
    Chief Pilot

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Flightboy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jul 2008 at 12:34pm
    Originally posted by Flightboy

If i went to SA and was mugged i would happily watch the criminal have his hand cut off as thats the rules there

Are you serious?  Wacko

100%! as i said i dont claim the uk is better than other countrys and i respect their laws and punishments. Im not saying women getting stoned to death for supposidy cheating on their husbands is right but its their country with their own religious laws and im able to respect that.

As regards to all your answers to my replys i think you need to read my replys as your questions were impossible to answer with any accuracy. But i will attempt and repeat myself a little!

You haven't answered the question properly (many!). The question is designed to make you realise that some crimes are commited due to a desperate need. I'm not making excuses for them all, but the motivation can determine the punishment sometimes

As i said impossible to answer. A desperate need? so a child killer gets off because he cant help his urges? As i said not every crime needs a death penalty!

That's right. So, if we've cut off their hands already, how can those who do turn around, successfully lead a normal life?

Again really nothing to reply to here. As i stated a father stealing food is a bit diffrent. You think we could of made a serial killer like fred west normal again? and that we could of released him back into the community? And as i said im not talkiing just about SA law

That's right, you can't raise the dead. What about stealing a stereo? Can that be repaid? And 40 years from now that thieving teenager has grown up into a model citizen, or tried, but he has only one hand. Is that fitting? The question is 'some crimes', not all. My point is that you want this stereo thief whipped, or his hand removed. Do you really think that is fitting?

As i have said please read my answer i never said all crimes did need the death penalty! and again SA law is their own i dont debate over countrys laws i would respect them so no nipping to SA to steal anything!

We are discussing corporal punishment in the UK, or any westernised country as far as I'm concerned. It has everything to do with our country in this thread as some are suggesting we implement the same judicial system as that in SA. Again, the question is designed to make you think about how mutilation doesn't help anyone. Not what you think while on holiday in SA.

who has said they want the SA system in the uk? im lost! and no one is saying we want hands cut off because you stole a mars bar we talking death penalty for people who have taken life so no over reactions please!

So, should the State's punishments be an example of physical, mutilating cruely?

I assume you either didnt read my answers above your have just ignored them. I am all for the death penalty for child killers and people who have taken other peoples right to life. Just read my answer its all there.

- Some crimes would be unpayable.
    As i have said murder can never be repayed so for once i agree!

- Individuals other than that who committed the crime would be put at a disadvantage as a result of the accused's punishment.
    Explain? who and why?

- The jury would have to make decisions knowing that a death may result. This would make trials VERY tricky to say the least.
    Trials happen all the time with this in mind. They manage and the final punishment isnt upto them they just have to find them guilty or not guilty which they would have to anyway!

- The accused may later turn out to be innocent.
    Were in the times where DNA is used in crime cases everyday and many other scientific ways i wont even bother to list. Mistakes nowdays are very rare and if we had the death penalty i think someones DNA would be enouth to prove beyound a resonable doubt with normal evidence.

Thank god for some common sense and a deeper insight from Flit.

Yes i also laughed at the fart comment!

And you links martin confirms what i said earlier some states dont need a death penalty as they dont have the same problems! of course it would cost Wisconsin alot of have a death row as the murder rate there is nothing compared to others so there woud't be many crimes worthy of such a sentance compard to states with huge murder rates and gangs

and wow another sunny day Tongue

flightboy

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 7>
      Share Topic