This forum is in read-only mode for archive purposes, please use our new forum at https://community.justflight.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Just Chat > Real World Aviation
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Passenger with no experience lands Cessna.

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Moderator in Command
Moderator in Command

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MartinW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Passenger with no experience lands Cessna.
    Posted: 09 Oct 2013 at 11:44am

A brave passenger was forced to land a plane himself last night after the pilot fell ill and passed out.

The light aircraft, thought to be a Cessna, took off at 6.30pm, but moments later the pilot declared an emergency before falling unconscious, with one man on board.

Shaken up, the passenger seized the controls and, after several passes over Humberside Airport, landed an hour later while air traffic control talked him down by radio from the tower.

Roy Murray, one of two flight instructors who guided him through the landing, said the man had no flying experience and did a “remarkable job”.

Mr Murray, who works at a flying school at the airport, said: “He made quite a good landing actually.

"He didn’t know the layout of the aeroplane, he didn’t have lights on, so he was absolutely flying blind as well.

“I think he’d flown once before as a passenger but he’d never flown an aeroplane before.”

The pair took off from Sandtoft Airfield, East Yorkshire, when the alarm was raised and airport staff stepped into action.

Mr Murray said he tried to keep the man calm.

He said: “The last thing you want to do is panic... then all sorts can happen.”

He said there were cheers in the airport control room as the plane landed safely on its fourth attempt.

He added: “It’s a fantastic feeling knowing I have probably saved somebody’s life.”

Witness Stuart Sykes saw the aircraft land.

He said: “It came down with a bump, bump, bump, hit front end down, I heard crashing and it’s come to a halt.

“There were sparks and three or four crashes, that must have been the propeller hitting the floor.

"Then it came to a stop.”

Fire crew were called and 50 emergency staff were ready and waiting for the passenger, whose condition was not known last night.

A pilot called Mike B on Twitter said: “Well done to passenger who landed plane after pilot falls ill.

"Passenger’s words as he lands, ‘That must have been the worst landing ever’. The boy done well.”

The pilot was taken to hospital by ambulance.

His condition was not known.

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/humberside-airport-passenger-no-flying-2352427
hifly View Drop Down
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hifly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Oct 2013 at 6:09pm
Do you think he might get into flight simming after that? Anyway, a round of ClapClapClap to the man. 
Must Fly!
Jim View Drop Down
P/UT
P/UT

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Oct 2013 at 6:30pm
I think he already is a flight simmer.Did any one see the movie Snakes on a plane,the guy who landed that aircraft only flew simulations.Theres hope for us all.LOL
Regards Jim.
jj163 View Drop Down
P/UT
P/UT

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jj163 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Oct 2013 at 8:43pm
Spookily enough, I have actually had some time in the actual aircraft involved (g-bcyr) when it was owned up here in Inverness. Think I did most of my imc in it. Nice bird to fly but kudos to the guy landing it on a talk down.

jj
PPL, Night,IMC

"I used to be a pilot until I took an arrow to the knee."
TomA320 View Drop Down
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TomA320 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Oct 2013 at 9:45pm
I flew down to Humberside Airport the same day this happened!  
Hot_Charlie View Drop Down
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hot_Charlie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Oct 2013 at 9:49am
As an aside, it's the pilot's funeral this morning, so spare a thought for him.

Great effort by the chap, although I don't think he was "completely unfamiliar" with aeroplanes, even if he wasn't a pilot per se.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic