This forum is in read-only mode for archive purposes, please use our new forum at https://community.justflight.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Just Chat > Hardware
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Enabling AHCI

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
P1
P1

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kessler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Enabling AHCI
    Posted: 26 Sep 2013 at 10:45am
Ok guys, I have  all the necessary bits and pieces to do my new build with.  I have a question regarding ahci.  Is it really as simple as enabling it in the bios before I install the OS??? Or do I have to do something more?  I'm sticking with Win 7 64bit.  Also I've heard that if I do enable ahci then my optical drive is likely to stop working - and I need that to install the Os from ( rather use that than have to do it from a usb device).  So, is there a way to make it work after changing to ahci?

Cheers

Rory
mjrhealth View Drop Down
P/UT
P/UT

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mjrhealth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Oct 2013 at 10:31am
It seems most mother boards have AHCI enabled by default, certainly on my latest build. If it is a fresh install, than windows will install the drivers automatically, its only when you do it later you run into issues. My optical drive has no probs and used on two different boards with AHCI.
Haswell 4770K @ 4.2(so far) Gigabtye GAZ87XUD3H 8 Gig Cas 9 DDR3 16000 MHz Ram, NVIDIA GTX 680 2Gig Video, Win 7 64 bit.
kessler View Drop Down
P1
P1

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kessler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Oct 2013 at 4:06pm
Thanks.  Yes, I found out that my new board also has it set to ahci by default.  I've read tho that people using this board have had problems with the optical drive and win 7 64 bit. I'm going to have to just wait and see if I do too and cross the bridge if and when it happens, hopefully it wont.

Rory
kessler View Drop Down
P1
P1

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kessler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Oct 2013 at 4:08pm
the board being Asus Z87 Deluxe.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic