This forum is in read-only mode for archive purposes, please use our new forum at https://community.justflight.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Just Chat > Hardware
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

SSD or Mechanical?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
P1
P1

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kessler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: SSD or Mechanical?
    Posted: 27 Aug 2013 at 3:29pm
I cant decide if I should go for ssd or not.  Anyone using them?  i'm put off as they are still expensive if you want  a decent sized one.  How much of a difference would I see over mechanical drives?  Also, If I got one for the OS and one for FSX, how do i go about all my FSX addons, which easily would need more space than whats available on a ssd drive.  At present i have FSX and all addons on a dedicated 1TB Samsung spinpoint F3.  Same again for the OS, is it worth getting Win 8 or sticking with 7?  Thoughts appreciated.

rory
Rich View Drop Down
Just Flight Staff
Just Flight Staff

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rich Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Aug 2013 at 3:42pm
They are very fast... but god are they a pain if you have your OS on one that you also use for other files. They get full so fast!
I would suggest getting a modestly sized one to fit your OS on, and then another for FSX etc.

Rich
MartinW View Drop Down
Moderator in Command
Moderator in Command

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MartinW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Aug 2013 at 4:45pm
As I said in the other thread...

SSD for OS
SSD for FSX and aircraft add-ons.
1TB HD for mass storage.

Don't forget, stuff like REX doesn't need to be on the SSD, it will work just as well on another drive.

It depends what you can afford. As you say, they are still quite expensive. They won't increase FSX performance, only loading times, so if you are short of money, an SSD for your OS, and then keep your Spinpoint F3 for FSX and the rest.

I wouldn't risk W8 at present, from what I can tell, there are some add-ons that still don't function perfectly with it.

kessler View Drop Down
P1
P1

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kessler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Aug 2013 at 6:29pm
Yes, I read your comments in the othe post martin, I was unsure regarding FSX and addons. My 1TB FSX drive is about half full at the min purely with FSX stuff. A quick look at the price of 500gb ssd's shows they're around the £250+ at the min. I can afford it but don't think its worth the expense.  I'll have to mull it over with regards to one for the OS, as Rich says, it would get pretty full very quick because of the other stuff I tend to save to the C drive also.  I think I'll be sticking to Win 7 64bit then, if Win8 is still a bit problematic.
twright View Drop Down
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote twright Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Aug 2013 at 7:33pm
Not necessarily for FSX, but for general PC use I would recommend an SSD. The one I have installed just recently is the Samsung 840 Pro, which is a particularly high performance one.
Kind regards,
Tom
MartinW View Drop Down
Moderator in Command
Moderator in Command

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MartinW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Aug 2013 at 12:57pm
Originally posted by kessler kessler wrote:

. My 1TB FSX drive is about half full at the min purely with FSX stuff.

I sometimes forget how huge some people collections are. I see your issue.

Mine is minimal, just REX UTX GEX and a few aircraft installed

kessler View Drop Down
P1
P1

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kessler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Aug 2013 at 6:50pm
I have mostly scenery - airports, and the usual GEX UTX etc.Ultimate Traffic 2, Active Sky Evo. Not so many addon aircraft though.  But yes, it all adds up, and will be a pain migrating it all to the new pc, although it'll be a chance to declutter I suppose!
whiskylima View Drop Down
Check-In Staff
Check-In Staff

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote whiskylima Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Aug 2013 at 8:42pm
I've got 2 ssd, one for the os, one for the sim and a normal drive for the rest. Super quick loading times, very smooth performance, I'll never go back to just a conventional set-up. Come and see it at Cosford on the Sherburn group stand.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic