This forum is in read-only mode for archive purposes, please use our new forum at https://community.justflight.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Just Flight Products > L-1011 TriStar
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Autopilot will not track the glide slope

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Check-In Staff
Check-In Staff

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stevedel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Autopilot will not track the glide slope
    Posted: 20 Jul 2013 at 12:28am
Will the autopilot on the L1011 track the glide slope? I've done 15 flights (predominately using the INS). In all of them I've tried end the flight with an ILS/glide slope approach flown by the autopilot. The autopilot will the intercept the localizer (although there are some alarming altitude deviations when flying at 180-150 knots) but it will not fly the glide slope down to the runway (or close to it).

Maybe the L1011 isn't programmed to follow the glideslope?

Anyone else run into this issue?

The Manual, when describing the tutorial flight, instructs the pilot to disengage the autopilot at the glide slope interception point and fly it manually the rest of the way down to landing.
steve d
keeprighton1974 View Drop Down
Check-In Staff
Check-In Staff

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote keeprighton1974 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jul 2013 at 10:31pm
Originally posted by stevedel stevedel wrote:

The Manual, when describing the tutorial flight, instructs the pilot to disengage the autopilot at the glide slope interception point and fly it manually the rest of the way down to landing.

On an aircraft famed for it's Automatic Landing System! Shocking.

I feel for you, fella. Best to just put it all down to experience ;)
Chainkicker View Drop Down
Check-In Staff
Check-In Staff

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chainkicker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jul 2013 at 10:57pm
Originally posted by stevedel stevedel wrote:

Thats strange. My manual says
"As the localiser deviation pointer moves towards the central dot the aircraft will bank
right to intercept the localiser and begin descending to maintain the glideslope.
As you approach 300ft on the radar altimeter you will hear a series of beeps to warn
you that you are approaching the selected decision height. At this point disengage the
autothrottle and autopilot".

Have to say mine tracks the localiser and g/s fine, certainly down to the d/h warning where I take over. Must see next time if it will autoland if I leave it...
swervr1 View Drop Down
Check-In Staff
Check-In Staff

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote swervr1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Aug 2013 at 9:14am
Just for information, it will not carry out an autoland. I queried this with support and they said it was not a feature that is included!

Regards
Mervyn

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic