This forum is in read-only mode for archive purposes, please use our new forum at https://community.justflight.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Just Chat > Videos
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

COMET JETLINER / Rare Video

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
First Officer
First Officer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CaptainIFLY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: COMET JETLINER / Rare Video
    Posted: 08 Jul 2013 at 6:23am
The Vintage COMET JETLINER !!!

The COMET was eventually Grounded , after several Crashes , due to badd Design.

Get the Magnificent JUST FLIGHT COMET - Jetliner here too ~ !!

http://www.justflight.com/product/comet-jetliner-for-fsx-download

There is NO Sound with the Video Below - but the Video is worth more than watching - very good Vintage in Color Shots of the Magnificent Comet Jetliner !!!

CaptainIFLY View Drop Down
First Officer
First Officer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CaptainIFLY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jun 2015 at 9:38am
New Video UPDATED post on the Comet Jetliner , added the above Video - tho NO Sound.

Updated post 6/22/2015
hectorp View Drop Down
Check-In Staff
Check-In Staff

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hectorp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Nov 2015 at 2:26am
it is a shame there is no sound but it is still excellent.
I have a question that you may help.
The cockpit level noise at the Comet IV is extremely high and no matter what I do it is almost impossible to enjoy the aircraft.
Do you know is Just Flight can help with this problem?
Apologize for bothering you with this issue but I cannot find it in the Forum.
Best Regards,

Takeoffs are optional. Landings are Mandatory.
Jim View Drop Down
P/UT
P/UT

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Nov 2015 at 10:44am
Hi Hectorp.
In FSX click settings and then sound,you can then adjust cockpit etc sounds.
Regards Jim.
kevinh View Drop Down
P/UT
P/UT

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kevinh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Nov 2015 at 3:24pm
Originally posted by Jim Jim wrote:

Hi Hectorp.
In FSX click settings and then sound,you can then adjust cockpit etc sounds.
Regards Jim.

Unfortunately that isn't a solution. It turns the noise level down, but the sound is still awful. It isn't meant to sound like that. The sound config file is messed up and there is confusion between sound files meant to be jet whine and those meant to be exhaust roar. Also the sound levels are inappropriate when the wrong file is used. Hence you get a hideous cacophony, not the sound mix as intended by the designers. Jets just don't sound like this in the cockpit (external sounds are fine).

When I had the Comet installed I was able to sort the confusion out and produce a more realistic yet still loud sound simulation simply by editing the sound.cfg file to swap the sounds. When the correct sounds are used at the right level it's a much improved mix.

Other things about the sim put me off though. The Christmas tree effect of the warning lights (glowing at night though actually off) was the main reason. JF agreed to exchange it for something else so I uninstalled it (forgetting to save the edited file).  Therefore I don't have a copy of my sound.cfg to share. However I know it can be done. It was just a matter of sorting out which wav files were meant to be which. Unfortunately they are just numbered, not given meaningful names so it's a certain amount of trial and error.

Maybe someone else would care to take up the challenge?

Kevin
CaptainIFLY View Drop Down
First Officer
First Officer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CaptainIFLY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Apr 2016 at 10:34am
I think I Deleted the Comet Sounds that came with it, and opted for the Engines of the 737-200 JT-8's of Eric Cantu's freeware sound files and they work fine enough for me, tho you'll get that Loud 1960's Jet Engine Whine, which I like, and inside the cockpit, its relatively quiet except for a tad bit of Engine Whine.

Think their original Sound files that came with the Comet had a WIND noise that was annoying inside the VC, if I remember correctly.

Some Aircraft have that, some don't, I usually just go find that particular WIND Sound file and Delete it and problem solved, or opt for a different wind file that's quieter' !!

johnep View Drop Down
P1
P1

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote johnep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Apr 2016 at 11:46am
The window design was at fault. Too large and with corners instead of curves. Fatigue cracks spread fom the corners. Discovered that some had actually cracked during construction and the engineers had drilled a hole at end of crack. Regretfully, did not work. 
Boeing came along with the 707 that also had engines mounted on pylons making it easy to service and change them. 
But for these accidents, we could have led the world.
johnep
johnep
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic