This forum is in read-only mode for archive purposes, please use our new forum at https://community.justflight.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Just Flight Products > Traffic 360
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Update for 360

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
Author
First Officer
First Officer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ranger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Update for 360
    Posted: 01 Jun 2013 at 3:18pm
I understand the reasons for the long delay in issuing an update, As there seem to be so many problems to resolve it is important to make sure they are all fixed. As one of the seemingly many people who have put the programme on hold until the update is issued, I am really amazed to see that Traffic 360 is one of the half price offers this week. Surely it is a bit unfair to encourage more people to buy the programme until it is properly sorted. When new purchasers use the programme and start to discover the faults, I imagine that they will not be very pleased when they see the date of the posts complaining about these problems over a very long period. I for one would be very upset.

Mike
Soaranden View Drop Down
P1
P1

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Soaranden Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jun 2013 at 4:49pm
You make some interesting points, Mike. My thinking is that if a program that hasn't been on the market very long is suddenly offered at half price, the offer should raise red flags in the minds of prospective buyers of the current version of the product. I do think, though, that, in making the half-price offer prior to the release of the update, Just Flight is possibly being fair to individuals who decide to purchase Traffic 360 prior to the update release. The real measure of fairness will come when buyers determine whether the update fixes all of Traffic 360's problems. It the update fails to do so, then those who paid half price may have paid too much.

Dan
freddy View Drop Down
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote freddy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jun 2013 at 11:40pm
Hmmm. Good points in both posts.

As Dan says, the real measure of fairness will come when buyers determine whether the update fixes all of Traffic 360's problems. But, in my opinion, whilst what Dan says is true, it is only relevant if buyers are politely made aware, BEFORE they purchase, that the product may not potentially work fully as advertised but there is a forthcoming Service Pack in the works which plans to correct that. Advising potential customers of this fact allows those customers to make an INFORMED decision about whether to purchase or not.

I think there should be a statement to that effect on the orders web page, and anywhere else where the product can be purchased. Not to do so basically amounts to customer deception.

Now, of course, all of what I've just said is rendered unfortunately irrelevant if Just Flight themselves actually believe there is nothing wrong with their product. If they truly feel their product is fine, then it won't even enter in to their thinking that they need to provide any such statement advising that the product doesn't work as advertised. But, surely they are not that naïve? That would be a sad fact.

Word of mouth is powerful. And the Internet makes that even more true than ever before. If customers get a product which doesn't work out of the box as advertised, AND they were not informed about that potentiality, then they will exercise their rights to complain. It's Just Flight's reputation on the line ...
ranger View Drop Down
First Officer
First Officer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ranger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jun 2013 at 2:03pm
Well said both of you. I just wonder what the response would be if JF advertised the programme as in need of an update, particularly as they don't seem to be able to provide an estimated delivery date!
Blackrat View Drop Down
Check-In Staff
Check-In Staff

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Blackrat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jun 2013 at 12:40pm
OK, So I've now had an unusable product for several months. I just can't use it as it is. It is NOT of merchantable quality. I've been very patient waiting for a service pack.

Have I waited too long for a full refund?
As it is now on the 'bargain shelf' at half price can I at least get half a refund.

I think this will be the last JF product I will buy.

ranger View Drop Down
First Officer
First Officer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ranger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jun 2013 at 2:08pm
I think I have got used to these problems over a number of years, I have seldom bought software that includes Scenery and flight plans without having to repair them. I check every AFCAD before flying to the airport and find many that have errors, broken taxiways and disconnected parking spaces and serious bottlenecks causing busy airports to come to a standstill, and aircraft not appearing because of errors in the flight plans. I actually spend more time checking and fixing than I do flying. good job I quite enjoy the fixing.

Mike
freddy View Drop Down
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote freddy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jun 2013 at 3:07am
Originally posted by ranger ranger wrote:

I think I have got used to these problems over a number of years, I have seldom bought software that includes Scenery and flight plans without having to repair them. I check every AFCAD before flying to the airport and find many that have errors, broken taxiways and disconnected parking spaces and serious bottlenecks causing busy airports to come to a standstill, and aircraft not appearing because of errors in the flight plans. I actually spend more time checking and fixing than I do flying. good job I quite enjoy the fixing.

That sounds exactly like me. I spend more time fixing than flying.

I have a scenery product at home from a well respected company that's just full of AFCAD errors. It's annoying. Especially when I know how easy it is to test for this stuff and fix it ... BEFORE the product is released. How this stuff got missed in the first place, I have no idea. What's even more frustrating is that users seem to be blind to the errors with essentially nobody raising any issues with the developer. Sheesh, if an AI plane just disappears *poof* in to thin air right off a parking spot that you happen to be parked next to, then surely you must notice this. And this is only ONE such example ... bottlenecks, broken taxi links, planes parked on top of other planes, etc etc. Are users really that oblivious? To add to the frustration, the fixes are EASY. I've opened up the AFCADs in question and the errors stand right out ... taxi links that are not even connected, aprons that have parking spots over the top of other parking spots but with no assigned parking codes to differentiate them, taxi paths that travel too close to (right next to) or straight down runways, etc etc. What the? It's basic stuff.

It just seems to be the way today's products are going ... more and more releases seem to have bugs and issues which, frankly, with a little testing, care and attention, should have been picked up BEFORE release. There appears to be little concern for attention to detail and quality. There are some companies and developers that do care, and do a great job of it, but there seems to be far more that simply do not. And users appear to be "accepting" of this trend. That is, except in cases where a product is so badly damaged and broken that users do actually kick up a fuss. Traffic 360 appears to be one of those.
Martyn View Drop Down
Just Flight Staff
Just Flight Staff
Development Manager

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Martyn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jun 2013 at 1:49pm
Hi,

We are currently looking for some Traffic 360 users to assist us with the final stage of testing for the service pack.

If you have Traffic 360 and would like to help test the service pack, please contact me: martyn@justflight.com

Thanks
Martyn

Martyn
Just Flight Ltd
ranger View Drop Down
First Officer
First Officer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ranger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jun 2013 at 7:20pm
Hi Freddy
You sound like me, all the same problems, it is quite enjoyable fixing them though. I have also spent some time setting up airports specifically for helicopters, with very short runways, usually on military bases that have lots of heli traffic, not totally realistic cos they have to taxi in the air, but at least it prevents them from clogging the approach to the main runways because they are too slow.If I really want to clear approaches to busy airports without removing the slow general aviation aircraft I edit the flight plan to send them to the heli runway. I have emailed Martyn to say I will help, least I can do after all the winging.
Mike
Claim to fame. Flew in the Meteor T7 when it was RAF frontline fighter in the early 1950's
ranger View Drop Down
First Officer
First Officer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ranger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jun 2013 at 7:22pm
I think that should be wingeing
Claim to fame. Flew in the Meteor T7 when it was RAF frontline fighter in the early 1950's
freddy View Drop Down
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote freddy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jun 2013 at 3:36am
Originally posted by ranger ranger wrote:

... I have emailed Martyn to say I will help, least I can do after all the winging.

Yep, that's fair enough. Although I'm a little confused considering the last couple of posts from Just Flight about the Service Pack suggested that it had (already) been with Beta testers, came back, was worked on some more and was being tested again. But I digress. It is good news and great that Just Flight are offering/including existing users the chance to help and provide feedback.

------------------------------------

For helicopters, you can save yourself all of the "short runway" trouble and trickery if you purchase HELI TRAFFIC 2009.

Here's the link: Heli Traffic 2009

Check out the YouTube videos etc. The videos are exactly how it is. No taxiing helicopters. REALISTIC heli takeoffs and landings. The program is and does everything it claims. IT'S HIGHLY RECOMMENDED!

And, even better ... by default the helicopters fly randomly from helipad to helipad. There's essentially no need for you to do anything, it just works right out of the box. But, if you want, you can assign specific flight plans for specific helicopters (ideal for military stuff where you want to ensure they don't randomly fly to civilian helipads at civilian airfields, for example). You can use this to your advantage ... By assigning flight plans, and with some minor tweaks to the relevant aircraft.cfg files, you can get Heli Traffic 2009 to work with hot air balloons, blimps, hang gliders, etc etc. It's AWESOME!
Soaranden View Drop Down
P1
P1

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Soaranden Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jun 2013 at 7:10am
I certainly agree with freddy's appraisal of Heli Traffic 2009. Although Heli Traffic 2009 doesn't provide any helicopters, any collection of helicopters can be used with the program. In my case, I decided to create all Heli Traffic 2009 helicopter schedules, myself. This allowed me to schedule appropriate liveries for different countries, and it enabled me to keep civilian helicopters out of military bases (and military helicopters out of commercial airports).

I like to specify a difference in departure times of 5 seconds or so when I want to see helicopters fly in formation. Additionally, when helicopters are to fly in formation, I put one or more of the helicopters at a slightly different altitude.

In the screenshot, below, three default Acceleration AgustaWestland helicopters have taken off from my freeware version of Kandahar AFB. The second helicopter took off five seconds after the first helicopter, and the third helicopter took off five seconds after the second helicopter. The third helicopter is lagging behind slightly because it had not been parked next to the first two helicopters. The helicopters are climbing to slightly different altitudes on a flight to Bagram AFB. To keep the helicopters flying on the same schedule between Kandahar and Bagram, I set no differences among helicopters in their departure delays at Bagram (instead of the five-second differences in delays that I had set at Kandahar). Since the helicopters arrive in Bagram approximately five seconds apart, they will take off approximately five seconds apart as long as each helicopter has an equal delay at Bagram. The F-16 fighters shown in the screenshot will be flying Traffic X flight plans.

In the screenshot below, I had just started the engine of the helicopter in the foreground, when a helicopter under Heli Traffic 2009 control came in for a landing. As you can see, the AI helicopter is hovering quite nicely as it lands. The F-16 at the far right will be flying a Traffic X-created schedule.

Below is how another Heli Traffic 2009 three-helicopter formation appears as it arrives at Bagram AFB on a flight from Kandahar. (You can almost hear the rotors just from looking at the screenshot).

ranger View Drop Down
First Officer
First Officer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ranger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jun 2013 at 11:37am
Thanks for the info on Heli Traffic guys, I will check it out
Mike
freddy View Drop Down
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote freddy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jun 2013 at 1:59pm
Nice screenshots Dan, as always. That's a great idea about how to get helicopters to fly in formation.

I should admit, Mike, that it was originally Dan who suggested HeliTraffic 2009 to me. I had seen the product on the web but wasn't sure whether I should purchase. Dan's comments and encouragement about how good it was eventually saw me make the decision to buy. I love it, and haven't looked back. It's one of the best products you can get for FSX, in my opinion.
ranger View Drop Down
First Officer
First Officer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ranger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jun 2013 at 5:11pm
I followed Dans advice and have just installed it, I have quite a lot of work to get rid of all my short runways, and adding Helipads etc. It looks very good indeed , excellent screen shots thx very much for letting me know about it, I don't know how I missed it.
Soaranden View Drop Down
P1
P1

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Soaranden Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jun 2013 at 8:51pm
Mike, here are a few things to keep in mind about Heli Traffic 2009 helicopter landing spots:

In addition to using existing helipads, landing spots can be created nearly anywhere. If you have a helicopter that has pontoons, you can land the helicopter on water, and tell Heli Traffic 2009 that the location is a helicopter landing spot.

I recommend using Airport Design Editor to add helipads to existing airports. The four types of helipads that are on the ADE menu (H, Square, Circle, Medical) are the only types of helipads that Heli Traffic 2009 will recognize. Additionally, a helipad "Start" should exist for each helipad when an airport has multiple helipads. I should add that a helipad "Start," alone, won't work. There should be both a helipad "Start" as well as one of the four recognized types of helipads. Incidentally, if you decide to add a lighted helipad to an airport, you will still have to place an H, Square, Circle, or Medical helipad beneath the lighted helipad, since a lighted helipad is just a scenery object rather than a true FSX helipad. Make the true helipad a bit smaller than the lighted helipad so that none of the true helipad is visible. The surface of the lighted helipad will automatically appear above (and, therefore, hide) the surface of the true helipad since the top surface of lighted helipads is above ground.

A number of freeware airports use custom helipads rather than one or more of the four recognized types of helipads mentioned above. When you encounter a custom helipad, you'll have to decide whether you want to put one of the recognized types of helipads on top of the custom helipad or use Heli Traffic 2009 to make the custom helipad a helicopter landing spot.

The combination of using Heli Traffic 2009 for helicopters and using Just Flight's traffic software for winged aircraft, makes for some pretty satisfying FSX AI traffic.

Dan
ranger View Drop Down
First Officer
First Officer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ranger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jun 2013 at 9:07pm
Hi Dan thanks for the advice, I use ADE for all my AFCAD stuff so no problems there. I also use AIFP2 for writing plans rather than the traffic control centre, I find it much easier.
Mike
ranger View Drop Down
First Officer
First Officer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ranger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jun 2013 at 11:05pm
Dan I just created a few Helipads at EGHH which is my local airport and when I started FSX there was a lot of heli traffic parked and arriving and departing. I did nothing other than create the helipads, I did not use a runway start. Just to check I created some more at a nearby Naval base EGDY and same thing happened. So far it was only a quick try I haven't even adjusted any settings EGHH is an airport that has been tweaked a bit in previous traffic versions and quite a lot by me and EGDY was virtually redesigned by me to take a lot more naval and military traffic but the Helipads used were the round one and the H one from ADE library with no starts.
Mike
freddy View Drop Down
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote freddy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jun 2013 at 6:29am
Wow, I've been away from this thread for only a short time, and look at that ... HeliTraffic has been purchased and installed, a number of posts have appeared, and Mike already has heli traffic working at airports.

(Hehe. It seems like we've hijacked this thread.)

Mike, with HeliTraffic 2009, you'll find experimentation the best way to learn.

One tip I can give is that you can use the AI HELICOPTER MAP to see if a little "H" appears at the airport or location in question (hint: remember that sometimes you'll need to zoom right in to see if there's multiple helipads there which are close together). If it does have a little "H" on the map, then HeliTraffic 2009 will land helicopters there. Therefore, there's nothing for you to do. If there's no little "H" showing on the map, but the airport or location is visually/graphically showing a helipad, then you can be sure that the helipad has not been done correctly in the AFCAD and is merely just eye candy. In that case, you'll either need to manually ADD a HeliTraffic landing spot there using the HeliTraffic 2009 interface and the FSX SLEW option as per the HeliTraffic 2009 documentation, or use ADE to correctly "fix" the helipad in the AFCAD using Dan's method(s).

Another tip I can give is that HeliTraffic stores its (user) data in the My Documents folder on your computer. It is just XML files. You can open these files up and MANUALLY edit them to make quick corrections to data, or to add in better names for any landing spots you have manually added ... not to mention you can make BACKUP copies of these files etc, etc. Don't forget that it *IS* a good idea to set up MULTIPLE XML files for HeliTraffic; I think it even suggests this in the documentation. (On my computer, I have a few such files: "ManuallyCreatedFictionalLandingSpots.xml", "RealWorldHeliPadsAustralianAirports.xml", "RealWorldHeliPadsNewZealandAirports.xml" ... you get the idea.)

And, of course, don't forget if you have TOO MUCH helicopter traffic, you can always use the HeliTraffic 2009 interface to adjust the slider down a little. Personally, I find 100% too much. 60% seems about right for me. Your mileage may vary.

I'm glad you purchased it. Enjoy!
ranger View Drop Down
First Officer
First Officer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ranger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jun 2013 at 11:41am
Thanks Freddy
In the next few days I will be replacing all my Heliports with Helitraffic ones, I have only spent a short time having a look, I did notice that the aircraft seem to come down vertically from several hundred feet, is this the norm or is the setting for this adjustable?

Mike
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
  Share Topic