This forum is in read-only mode for archive purposes, please use our new forum at https://community.justflight.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Just Flight Products > Traffic 360
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Update for 360

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
First Officer
First Officer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ranger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jun 2013 at 11:42am
PS what's the penalty for hijacking?
Claim to fame. Flew in the Meteor T7 when it was RAF frontline fighter in the early 1950's
freddy View Drop Down
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote freddy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jun 2013 at 12:27pm
Originally posted by ranger ranger wrote:

In the next few days I will be replacing all my Heliports with Helitraffic ones, I have only spent a short time having a look, I did notice that the aircraft seem to come down vertically from several hundred feet, is this the norm or is the setting for this adjustable?

For standard use of the product, with random helis travelling to and from airports etc, yes, that's normal. It cannot be adjusted. You get used to it. I don't even notice it anymore. Besides, even if it is from that height, it's still far more realistic than the craziness of helicopters "taxiing" around airports.

But, if you use the interface to ADD your own custom landing spots, there's an option for APPROACH SLOPE. Page 6 of the user manual mentions it. It's there so you can take in to account surrounding terrain such as hills, mountains or buildings etc. I've never needed to use that option ... but perhaps you might be able to use that to help "smooth out" the landings from high altitudes?

While I think of it, you might want to have a read of some of the threads on the Heli Traffic 2009 and FSDiscover Forum. Sure, many of the threads there may be a bit old, but that's only because the program's been around a while. Still, you might pick up a few tricks and tips, and it should help to bring you a little up to speed so to speak. Note that if you do happen to post, you WILL likely get a response from Flight1. Their support is very good and they monitor their forums regularly. At least that was certainly MY experience when I first purchased the product.

PS what's the penalty for hijacking?

Thankfully, there isn't one.
Soaranden View Drop Down
P1
P1

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Soaranden Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jun 2013 at 12:41pm

I did notice that the aircraft seem to come down vertically from several hundred feet, is this the norm or is the setting for this adjustable?

Both the cruising altitude and the approach angle are adjustable. Remember that the cruising altitude will be the altitude above ground level rather than the altitude above sea level. Hence AI helicopters will follow changes in terrain elevation. Additionally, the minimum cruising altitude that can be used can, itself, be raised or lowered. When changing a helipad's approach angle, be aware of what will happen if there are buildings near the helipad.

With regard to the earlier mention of a helipad's "Start," a "Start" should exist for each helipad if there are multiple helipads present at an airport. Although Heli Traffic 2009 and FSX use different numbering schemes for helipads (with Heli Traffic 2009 assigning numbers according to the order in which helpads appear in an airport's xml file), a FSX helipad number can only be assigned by using a "Start." Even if an airport has only one helipad, I suggest using a "Start" to assign a FSX helipad number to the helipad. It makes it a little faster to add additional helipads later if the existing helipad already has a number.

Dan
quick View Drop Down
Ground Crew
Ground Crew

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote quick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jun 2013 at 4:18am
Originally posted by freddy freddy wrote:

[QUOTE=ranger]... I have emailed Martyn to say I will help, least I can do after all the winging.

Yep, that's fair enough. Although I'm a little confused considering the last couple of posts from Just Flight about the Service Pack suggested that it had (already) been with Beta testers, came back, was worked on some more and was being tested again. ------------------------------------

[QUOTE]

I am glad you're going to test it Freddy cuz you know your oats.

Let us know if the update INCLUDES the painting feature. I'd really like to see it back.
freddy View Drop Down
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote freddy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jun 2013 at 7:39am
You've misread, quick.

It is Ranger (Mike) who has emailed Martyn to say he will help. Not I. I'm currently using Traffic X still (I haven't purchased Traffic 360).

Given the recent posts from Mike, I'd say he knows his stuff too.
ranger View Drop Down
First Officer
First Officer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ranger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jun 2013 at 1:07pm
Thanks Freddy and Dan for your advice I haven't set up any flights yet as I am still looking around and admiring what's going on and reading the manual.I am also sorting all my helicopters and checking frame rates. Oddly enough the bigger heli's Merlins and Chinooks have little effect, but a couple of smaller AI ones I have (Wasp and Scout) drop rate from 40 to 50 down to 10.
Claim to fame. Flew in the Meteor T7 when it was RAF frontline fighter in the early 1950's
Soaranden View Drop Down
P1
P1

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Soaranden Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jun 2013 at 4:11pm

I am also sorting all my helicopters and checking frame rates. Oddly enough the bigger heli's Merlins and Chinooks have little effect, but a couple of smaller AI ones I have (Wasp and Scout) drop rate from 40 to 50 down to 10.

I wonder what would have happened if the Wasp and Scout hadn't been optimized for AI use?!   oh%20how%20I%20laughed

While you're checking frame rates, you might want to experiment with using the default Bell 206B and the freeware Eagle Rotorcraft Simulations Bell 206B JetRanger III as AI helicopters. There are a lot of freeware liveries available for them, and since they use dds textures, I think you'll find that they are much friendlier on frame rates than your Wasp and Scout.

NOTE: As a reminder to others, remember to be aware of the number of scenery objects that are in view when checking frame rates at an airport, since onscreen scenery objects can have a significant adverse impact on frame rates.

Dan

freddy View Drop Down
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote freddy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jun 2013 at 12:25am
Dan, a question for you ...

Given that HeliTraffic 2009 randomly flys helicopters from airport to airport, and given that it uses any and all helicopters that one has in their collection of aircraft ... I have deliberately avoided downloading and using military helicopters in my FSX because I don't want them to appear at civilian airports. It doesn't bother me if civilian helicopters land at military bases.

I only have ONE specific flight plan that I've set up in HeliTraffic 2009 for a THEME PARK which does helicopter joy flights up and around the local tourist sights near the park. Apart from that single flight plan, I am happy to simply let HeliTraffic 2009 do the random thing.

The question is this: If I do decide to download and use a military helicopter to just fly only to military airbases, but, at the same time, I STILL want to enjoy the RANDOM feature that HeliTraffic 2009 provides for all other helicopters, is it just a simple matter of UNCHECKING (unticking) that military helicopter from the list of random helicopters in the Traffic 2009 interface ... and, then, setting flight plans for that military helicopter to fly only to military bases?

I will assume you have done something like this yourself because in one of your posts above you mention you've got military flying to military and civilian flying to civilian.

I could of course just do the simple test myself. I've just never bothered. But when I read that earlier post of yours it sparked the question in my head, so I figured I'd ask.

Hehe, I suppose I could also ask this question in the Flight1 forums as well. But, seeing we are discussing HeliTraffic 2009 in this thread, this is as good a place as any to ask at the moment.
Soaranden View Drop Down
P1
P1

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Soaranden Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jun 2013 at 6:29am
Although I've never done it myself, creating separate xml files for helicopter traffic--one for random traffic and one for your military helicopter--should do the trick. After generating a separate xml file containing only the schedule for the military helicopter (random slider all the way to the left), deactivate the military helicopter. The xml file with the military helicopter's schedule will continue to exist separately by giving it a unique name, and, by returning the random traffic slider to its previous position, random traffic without the military helicopter will continue to be generated to a separate xml file without ever touching the xml file containing the schedule for the military helicopter. At least, I think that's what will happen, but I've never tried it. I have my random traffic slider set all the way to the left. I have a single xml file that contains only helicopter schedules that I have created myself (plus a few custom landing spots that I have added). I don't like randomness. I took all randomness out of Traffic X, too, long ago.

Dan
freddy View Drop Down
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote freddy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jun 2013 at 10:15pm
The one specific flight plan that I've already set up in HeliTraffic 2009 is for the theme park helicopter doing the joy rides of the local tourist areas near the park. It has its own separate xml file containing only the schedule just for it.

The random traffic doesn't generate an xml file. The helicopters for random traffic are loaded from the helicopters which are installed/available in the SimObjects folder of FSX. They all appear in the HeliTraffic 2009 interface and can be individually selected (check box) to be used or not as random traffic. No xml file is created for these ... they just work and do their thing.

But, I think you are on the right track here Dan. I'd need to create a separate xml file (flight plan) for my military helicopter, in the same way that I have one for the theme park helicopter. The military helicopter would still need to be installed/available in the SimObjects folder of FSX ... but it would most likely need to be UNCHECKED in the HeliTraffic 2009 list of random helicopters so that it does not get used for random heli flights.

Using that method, it should be possible to set up more than one military helicopter, each with their own individual flight plans, but all in a single separate xml file. And, because the military helicopter(s) is/are not checked in the HeliTraffic 2009 list to be used as random helicopters, they should work only based on their created flight paths in the xml, and not as random helis.

Hmmm. I'll have to give that a try.
Soaranden View Drop Down
P1
P1

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Soaranden Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jun 2013 at 11:15pm
Since I had never used randomly-generated traffic, I had no clue that Heli Traffic 2009 doesn't create an xml file for random traffic.

The helipads for your custom schedules may have to be shared with random traffic, but that shouldn't be a problem in most cases since, as I recall, a helicopter parked at a helipad will take off early if there is another helicopter approaching the helipad to land. If you had set up custom schedules for helicopters to fly in formation, though, an approaching random helicopter would take a helicopter out of the formation if one of the helicopters waiting on a helipad to make a formation flight had to leave early because the approaching random helicopter had been scheduled to land on its helipad.

Dan
ranger View Drop Down
First Officer
First Officer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ranger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jun 2013 at 12:50pm
I have only scheduled a couple of flights at the moment but I am pretty sure Freddy is right. Dan, is there any way to actually set times for scheduled flights or is the timing based on the delay settings and how many flights a day you set. I am having difficulty viewing my flights.

I got my instructions for starting the Beta testing today, so I expect to be pretty busy.

Mike
Soaranden View Drop Down
P1
P1

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Soaranden Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jun 2013 at 6:12pm
Mike,

Yes, freddy is correct that Heli Traffic 2009 creates no xml file for random traffic. (After reading your posting, I tested it, myself, to confirm).

There isn't any way to set a specific time of day for a takeoff. However, there is an undocumented function that forces all scheduled helicopters within the simulation radius to start at their first landing spot. To achieve this, press and hold down Contol+Shift, then enable traffic, and then release Control+Shift a few seconds later. The function only works if your timing is just right.

With use of the traffic map and some patience, you'll be able to confirm that custom-scheduled helicopters are flying their expected routes. Remember, too, that if random traffic is enabled, early takeoffs may occur, and custom schedules created to enable formation flights can be interrupted, thereby possibly taking one or more helicopters out of a formation flight. The only way to maintain all formation flights all of the time is to set the random traffic slider all the way to the left, and create only custom traffic schedules. That's how I did it.

RE: TRAFFIC 360 UPDATE

Hope the beta testing achieves its goals.

I must say that, after Traffic 360 was released, I was surprised to hear that there were aircraft that were taxiing and taking off with doors open. That was a problem that plagued the KC135 tanker in Traffic X's PlusPaks. After I pointed out the problem, Just Flight was thoughtful enough to email an updated version of the tanker to me that fixed the problem. I waited for Just Flight to make the tanker fix available to everyone, but, to the best of my knowledge, they never did. I have been leasing server space and making the updated KC135 tanker available for download here. Since the Traffic X tanker problem was fixed long ago, one wonders why similar problems ever occurred with some of the Traffic 360 aircraft.

Dan
keeprighton1974 View Drop Down
Check-In Staff
Check-In Staff

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote keeprighton1974 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jun 2013 at 10:02pm
I wonder if it's ok for me to buy something from JF and pay them 8 months later when I Service Pack my finances? Thought not.
freddy View Drop Down
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote freddy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jun 2013 at 4:21am
Originally posted by Soaranden Soaranden wrote:

... after Traffic 360 was released, I was surprised to hear that there were aircraft that were taxiing and taking off with doors open ...

... I waited for Just Flight to make the tanker fix available to everyone, but, to the best of my knowledge, they never did ...

... Since the Traffic X tanker problem was fixed long ago, one wonders why similar problems ever occurred with some of the Traffic 360 aircraft.

Hehe, don't get me started.

Originally posted by keeprighton1974 keeprighton1974 wrote:

I wonder if it's ok for me to buy something from JF and pay them 8 months later when I Service Pack my finances? Thought not.

ROFL. Good one.
ranger View Drop Down
First Officer
First Officer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ranger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jun 2013 at 8:48pm
worth a try oh how I laughed
ranger View Drop Down
First Officer
First Officer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ranger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jun 2013 at 8:50pm
Interesting I have not experienced that before, I typed oh how I laughed and it typed what you see in post above.
ranger View Drop Down
First Officer
First Officer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ranger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jun 2013 at 8:50pm
it keeps doing it never mind
quick View Drop Down
Ground Crew
Ground Crew

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote quick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jun 2013 at 6:45am
Originally posted by freddy freddy wrote:

You've misread, quick.

It is Ranger (Mike) who has emailed Martyn to say he will help. Not I. I'm currently using Traffic X still (I haven't purchased Traffic 360).

Given the recent posts from Mike, I'd say he knows his stuff too.

YIKES!!    Sorry about that Freddy. Good on you Ranger (Mike).
ranger View Drop Down
First Officer
First Officer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ranger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jun 2013 at 10:29am
Thx Quick
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
  Share Topic