This forum is in read-only mode for archive purposes, please use our new forum at https://community.justflight.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Just Chat > Hardware
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

I7 920 upgrades

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Check-In Staff
Check-In Staff

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NextgenerationX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: I7 920 upgrades
    Posted: 06 May 2013 at 11:10am
So I have an I7 920 (2.67 ghz) 16 gig ram and a 1 gig radeon 5700 gddr3
Was thinking about upgrading. I contacted Dell, they told me they would overclock it for me to a 3.2ghz for $200 ( 1 year warranty included ) and was looking at the Gforce GTX660 ti 2gb gddr5 to increase quality and performance.

But could I have some inputs on what you think? Would I see an epic improvement or not enough for the amount of $ I'm going to spend, and also, can you guys give me any tips
Slopey View Drop Down
Moderator in Command
Moderator in Command
AirHauler Developer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Slopey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 May 2013 at 11:43am
What are you looking to improve specifically? And what performance are you getting now, and what are you hoping for?

Without some details (i.e. FSX or other games?, current fps, desired fps, current monitor resolution etc), it's going to be difficult to judge.

AirHauler Developer
For AH2 queries - PLEASE USE THE EA Forums as the first port of call.
twright View Drop Down
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote twright Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 May 2013 at 11:51am
Originally posted by NextgenerationX NextgenerationX wrote:

I contacted Dell, they told me they would overclock it for me to a 3.2ghz for $200 ( 1 year warranty included )

WHAT????

That's just the sort of rip off I would expect from Dell. It's a BIOS setting that takes less than 5 minutes to set and a little bit of experimentation.

A 920 with a decent cooler you can clock to 4GHz easily. I've had mine for nearly 4 years and apart from some unrelated memory issues it's still good.
Kind regards,
Tom
Slopey View Drop Down
Moderator in Command
Moderator in Command
AirHauler Developer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Slopey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 May 2013 at 12:05pm
Yeah, but if you're not comfortable replacing a cooler on a CPU, or modifying BIOS settings, and without any warranty, the $200 isn't horrendous.
AirHauler Developer
NextgenerationX View Drop Down
Check-In Staff
Check-In Staff

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NextgenerationX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 May 2013 at 7:35pm
The only reason I'd let dell do it is exactly that slopey, don't feel comfortable enough. I don't want to fry the CPU or motherboard. Yes, I know I can go up to 4gig but I'd have to have it water cooled but this would require to much money. Also I'm pretty sure I'd need a new power supply ( which dell said they would replace whatever they would have to for the total of $200 and the insured part is a big thing.

I got rex and made a big improvement to the scenery, but you know how it is.. Just want to make it look as real as possible. When I max everything out it doesn't run as smooth, and when I turn on the direct X 10 the lines on the runway flicker constantly kinda like a strobe light. Also in mid flight if I try clicking on option to pull up an additional instrumental panel fsx freezes up. I'm pretty sure my pc needs more power but hoping ones I do the changes it'll run better.

As far as what I want it to look like, I watch a lot if clips on fsx on YouTube with people who have 3.2gig i7 920's and like the realism and how smooth it is. That's why I figured, 2.67 to 3.2 and a better graphics card might do the trick.
Slopey View Drop Down
Moderator in Command
Moderator in Command
AirHauler Developer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Slopey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 May 2013 at 11:52pm
Quote when I turn on the direct X 10 the lines on the runway flicker constantly kinda like a strobe light.

Overclocking won't solve that per se, neither will a new gfx card - just leave DX10 off - it's not much use for FSX, better to stick with 9 and an ENB mod.

Quote Also in mid flight if I try clicking on option to pull up an additional instrumental panel fsx freezes up.

If you mean you get a wait cursor and your framerate drops horrendously, that's a known issue with FSX and Win7/8 - again, overclocking won't solve that.

You won't necessarily get much for 2.67 to 3.2. A better graphics card will help a bit, but FSX is heavily CPU limited. Also be wary of YouTube videos - you're never quite sure what resolution they're running at unless it is stated.

What resolution are you running at, and what FPS are you getting in FSX at the moment?
AirHauler Developer
MartinW View Drop Down
Moderator in Command
Moderator in Command

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MartinW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 May 2013 at 2:35pm
Quote The only reason I'd let dell do it is exactly that slopey, don't feel comfortable enough. I don't want to fry the CPU or motherboard.

I understand why you wouldn't want to overclock, if you aren't technically minded. However, I have to say, modern motherboards are made for overclocking, it's a feature that's actively encouraged. Furthermore, modern CPU's like your i7920, will throttle back to avoid damage if they get too hot. And if the temperature does increase higher, the CPU will shut down. These days, damaging a CPU through overclocking, while not impossible, is actually quite hard.

As for a CPU that's 6 months old or less, Intel provide overclocking insurance, mine cots a mere £25. Thus taking all the risk out of overclocking. Intel wouldn't do this, if they thought damage was likely.

Quote I can go up to 4gig but I'd have to have it water cooled but this would require to much money.

No, totally untrue. My old i7920 was at 4GHz, courtesy of a NH-D14 air cooler. My newer i73770k is at 4.5 GHz with the same cooler. Temps are very low, well away from TJMax.
MartinW View Drop Down
Moderator in Command
Moderator in Command

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MartinW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 May 2013 at 2:41pm
Quote just leave DX10 off - it's not much use for FSX, better to stick with 9 and an ENB mod.

Actually, that's not exactly true. Many are now having great success with DX10, courtesy of the new FSX mods. Including the flickering lines fix. There's an entire forum devoted to it at Avsim.

http://forum.avsim.net/forum/569-dx-10-discussions-hints-and-help/

Quote You won't necessarily get much for 2.67 to 3.2. A better graphics card will help a bit, but FSX is heavily CPU limited. Also be wary of YouTube videos - you're never quite sure what resolution they're running at unless it is stated.

Yes, FSX is CPU bound to a degree, and yes, such a miniscule overclock, as Slopey said, will not result in much benefit. However, FSX CPU bias is not so relevant these days, given that most of us have add-on's like REX that are more graphically demanding. It depends what you are upgrading from and to what. When I upgraded from a 7900GTX to a GTX580, it made a very significant difference.

In addition, modern graphics cards with 1 gig or higher memory, are capable of handling the data from the CPU without any buffer. Thus, the BP=0 tweak becomes viable, increasing frame rate in demanding scenarios up to 15 frames per second.

Slopey View Drop Down
Moderator in Command
Moderator in Command
AirHauler Developer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Slopey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 May 2013 at 3:30pm
I'll need to review the DX10 discussions on Avsim, but it's never made any different for me, aside from introducing loads of glitches. But that was prior to the 4Gb 680 I suppose.
AirHauler Developer
MartinW View Drop Down
Moderator in Command
Moderator in Command

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MartinW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 May 2013 at 3:50pm
Lots of fixes Slopey. Not tried it myself, but many are quite happy I believe.

Quote With the advent of the new breed of Intel multi-core processor – the i7, and some correspondingly huge advances in the graphic processor unit, DX9 FSX seemed, at long last to be delivering on Microsoft’s “As real as it gets” sales statement… and then along came Steve… an inquisitive programmer who wanted nothing more than to create a blog, simply describing experiments investigating how FSX works.
     “I then asked myself the question – “Why do runways flash in DX10?”   It turned out that the question I should have asked was “Why don’t runways flash in DX9?””
That was how Steve’s astounding path to opening the door to FSX – DX10 began.
     Included below are the links to his site, links to Steve’s Shader10 patch and Steve’s more general FSX knowledgebase. It’s a good idea to read Phil Taylor’s Blog on Accelleration-SP2, which is here, (doc) or here (pdf), as it describes the many improvements DX10 has made in the sim, and then visit Steve’s blog-site, as it will introduce you to a world unseen by most simmers: read about flashing runways; shadows; fencing – and more. If you’ve already been there, and now want to take the plunge to “the new Sim”, start here, with this “General How-To”. I say “General”, as we all know - what works on mine may well be somewhat different on yours, but by and large, the adherence to some known fixes, plus patience and a bit of technical moxy – at the end of the tunnel – there’s a somewhat faster, “prettier”, more stable sim, fewer, or even no OOM’s, with a lot more going on than DX9 would ever tolerate.. If you have a very powerful machine – it will be Nirvana, as FSX will run smoother, and with settings you never thought possible.
The fixes thus far are:-
1) Flashing runways/taxiways:       2) Progressive Taxi markings missing :
3) Opaque chain fences:    4) Yellow/white runway markings transparency :
5) Missing night scenery/semi-transparent dusk scenery (often mis-described as missing night textures)
6) Some addon cars with black headlights: 7). Cockpit shadows:    8) Softer shadows:
9) Eliminated false sun on VC roof and side wall.      10). Darker Water colour.

So – I’ll start the ball rolling with the necessary changes before we start tweaking.
     Note here that, while some similarities do exist, AMD/ ATI gpu’s are not covered in this doc, as Steve has created a very good Summary here: However as individual DX10’ers come up with successful CCC configurations – I will gladly include them here.
For my part – I have a GTX580, and so Nvidia Inspector settings are uppermost here
Capt Pugwash View Drop Down
Ground Crew
Ground Crew

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Capt Pugwash Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 May 2013 at 7:50am
Hi, I have an i7 930 DO and have just upgraded my graphics card from a GTX480 to a GTX670 4gb 3fans great card that allows me to have more weather without effecting locked 30fps...also crisper detail...

I have had my cpu overclocked at 4.2 with a megahalen air cooler for a long time, but have recently had instability issues with the o/c so have backed off to 3.8 and also fitted a H100i cpu watercooler and I know a lot of others have found 3.8ghz to be a safe/stable overclock with a good graphics card on a 920/930 rather than "live on the edge" running 4ghz and above.

At 3.8ghz and with my new GTX670 I am getting really smooth frames whilst in Orbx land with high end aircraft like NGX, Lancair and Q400...
i7 930 @4.3, GTX970-4gb, 1TB EVO SSD, H100i Water-cooler, 12gb ram, Win7 64bit, Warthog Hotas, Saitek pedals & panels...
MartinW View Drop Down
Moderator in Command
Moderator in Command

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MartinW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 May 2013 at 9:04am
4 GHz isn't living on the edge for an i7930. The 930 usually OC's a tad better than the 920.

You say unstable. How?

What were the temps at full load?

What was your voltage?

May simply have required a little more volts. Or minor bios tweak.

I don't mind sending you my old i7920 settings for reference. Still have them.

Having said that, 4 to 3.8 makes only a a small difference.
Capt Pugwash View Drop Down
Ground Crew
Ground Crew

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Capt Pugwash Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 May 2013 at 8:51pm
Hi Martin, always interested in other users overclock settings, so a copy of yours is most appreciated...

I am running water cooling and stress testing shows nice low temps all round...

I would like to get back to 4ghz but the 0.2 really appears to make no/little difference, but the stability is reassuring when engrossed in a flight...
i7 930 @4.3, GTX970-4gb, 1TB EVO SSD, H100i Water-cooler, 12gb ram, Win7 64bit, Warthog Hotas, Saitek pedals & panels...
MartinW View Drop Down
Moderator in Command
Moderator in Command

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MartinW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 May 2013 at 8:50am
No probs, I'll send them to you.

Remember though, all CPU's/motherboards are different. And my settings were for the i7920.

You say water cooling, I presume you mean one of the all in one water cooling kits, for example Corsair. Remember such kits aren't like a full blown custom water set up.

I use a Noctua NH-D14 and get about 55 degrees in FSX. That's with my i73770k at 4.5 GHz. Same temps as I did with my old i7920 at 4 GHz.

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic