This forum is in read-only mode for archive purposes, please use our new forum at https://community.justflight.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Just Flight Products > Traffic 360
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Help understanding compile process

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Check-In Staff
Check-In Staff

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote starling Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Help understanding compile process
    Posted: 12 Apr 2013 at 9:21am
A few questions from a user new to AI Traffic management.

I'm using Bristol EGGD as a test airport.

I've generated a large number of IFR and VFR flight plans for EGGD (within "Unspecified carrier, jf_OTHER,all") and have then gone on to compile them in the Traffic Movements section.

Q1.   Should I JUST compile the "User Schedule" or do I have to include (tick) one of/some of/all of the other schedules at the same time?

Q2. Do I have to compile "VFR Traffic" every time I compile the "User Schedule" or only when I regenerate VFR and/or Business Aircraft Traffic in the Traffic Generator?

Q3. Almost ALL flights arriving at EGGD disappear on the runway before taxiing to park - is this related to the fact that almost all GATE parking is occupied?

(Unless I set the Airline traffic density slider at a VERY low percentage virtually all parking spaces are occupied at FSX start-up (mostly by EasyJet). I understand this too-full parking problem is being experienced by a number of T360 users, so hopefully it will be addressed in the upcoming service pack).

Q4. As a test I scheduled an Air Malta 737 flight departing EGGD at 10:00 GMT. No matter what time I start FSX (before 10:00 GMT of course) or how long I wait - there is never an Air Malta 737 parked in preparation for take off. I have recompiled several times and have also repeated this test with other aircraft and airlines with the same result. Am I overlooking something?

Q5. Is there something online that I could read to help better understand the way FSX AI works (operationally and technically)?

All advice and help much appreciated.

Bruce
i7-3770K @4GHz, 16GB RAM, NVIDIA GTX670
FSX Gold, UTX, GEX, REX, EZdok
freddy View Drop Down
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote freddy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Apr 2013 at 12:44am
I have Traffic X (not Traffic 360). However, I can answer question 3 for you ...

If an AI plane lands at an airport and there are no available parking spots for it to taxi to, then FSX will "delete" it. So, yes, the behaviour you are seeing with flights arriving at EGGD and then disappearing is because there are no available parking spots. Note that there may be free parking spots at the airport, and there may even be GATE parking spots, but the spots which are available may NOT be suitable for the type of plane that has just landed. For example, if the parking spot is a GATE but is only large enough for a 737 type, then a 747 aircraft would disappear upon landing. FSX works out if a parking spot is suitable based on the aircraft wingspan and based on a few other parameters such as the parking settings built in to the airport itself (the airport AFCAD file). There is a lot of good information on the Internet about this and a few Google searches should fill in all the details for you if you are more curious.

Regarding question 6 ...

Yes, there is a lot of information on the Internet about FSX AI ... both operationally and technically. I do not have any specific links that come to mind which I can share with you. Suffice to say, you just start looking around and then one things leads to another, which leads off to another ... and so on ... and before you know it, you begin to learn and understand the inner workings of FSX AI.
starling View Drop Down
Check-In Staff
Check-In Staff

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote starling Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Apr 2013 at 10:27am
Thank you for your very helpful and interesting reply freddy.

As things stand unless I set the Airline Traffic slider well below 20% all gates at Bristol are occupied at start-up of FSX (mostly with Easyjet A320s). The obvious downside to this solution is that there is a corresponding reduction in Airline traffic.

As an experiment I'm going to create a set of 10 or more flight plans departing at 15 minute intervals for EasyJet A320s to free up some gates. That should enable flights arriving (again mostly EasyJet A320s) to find suitable places to park. Out of interest the arriving flights are not part of my own AI flight plans.

I'll also do as you suggest and Google for more info on AI disappearance and on AFCAD files.

Thanks again.
Bruce
starling View Drop Down
Check-In Staff
Check-In Staff

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote starling Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Apr 2013 at 12:08am
Just for the record:

I created ten flight plans for the Eastjet A319s (scheduled to depart at 15 minute intervals) and compiled them into the User Schedule. The first compilation resulted in only one of the ten routes departing EGGD. I recompiled and ran FSX many times (I'm retired and so I have the time) and the best I managed to get was three aircraft departing over a period of 3 hours. *I should have saved that compile as all subsequent have failed to trigger more than two flights.

I downloaded the utility AI Flight Plan Compiler/Decompiler and decompiled the Traffic 360 generated BGL file. I noticed that the priority percentage field (not sure what it's actually called) was typically quite low for my routes so I'm guessing that's why they don't make it into the FSX schedule that often.

If it's possible to do, I feel it would be VERY worthwhile including a facility to set the route priority % when generating the route in Traffic 360 to maybe force FSX to include the user generated routes. In doing these many tests (I've been at it for about 14 hours) I've noticed that some flights ALWAYS occur (unfortunately not mine :)) so I'm assuming that it must be possible to do.

I would appreciate some expert input here as I may well have misunderstood the way FSX prioritises AI flights.

Bruce
freddy View Drop Down
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote freddy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Apr 2013 at 4:56am
It is possible the percentage that you are seeing is this ... "at what FSX traffic slider percentage does this airplane appear?". If the AI plane is set with a percentage of "10", then that means it will show in FSX if your FSX traffic slider percentage is 10% or higher. If the AI plane is set with a percentage of "80", then that means it will show in FSX if your FSX traffic slider percentage is 80% or higher. My trick when TESTING is to always set my FSX traffic slider percentage to 100%. This way, I will ALWAYS see my plane, even if the AI program gives it a high percentage value like a 95 or 99 or something. But, after testing, I must remember to set my FSX traffic slider percentage back down to whatever my usual value is (otherwise I risk clogged skies and bad frame rates). If I need to adjust/edit the percentage for the AI plane, then I do so - by MANUALLY editing it in the decompiled file instead of letting the Traffic program RANDOMLY do it - and then I recompile.

For an EXCELLENT place to start on the inner workings of an FSX decompiled AI BGL file, look here: Microsoft ESP Traffic Toolbox. Specifically, the information under the heading "The Traffic Database Builder Utility" is probably what's most relevant here. Traffic X uses the DOS based "TrafficDatabaseBuilder.exe" program, that's mentioned under that heading, to compile the AI .BGL file. (And I'd guess that Traffic 360 works the same way too.) If you read up, understand, and know how it all works, then you can MANUALLY edit the decompiled .BGL files, and then MANUALLY do your own compiles using the "TrafficDatabaseBuilder.exe" program. I use Traffic X to create the files, and then I manually edit them and recompile. I don't have Traffic 360, but I'm willing to bet it would be possible to do the same with Traffic 360.
starling View Drop Down
Check-In Staff
Check-In Staff

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote starling Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Apr 2013 at 4:59pm
You were spot on freddy. When I read your last reply I just knew you had to be right about the percentages. I edited the decompiled flight plan (as you suggested) setting all percentages for EGGD (all my flights) at 10% - I then compiled the edited flight plan and ran FSX. Worked like a charm - lots of activity (as per my fps) freeing up gates for incoming flights. No more disappearing arrivals on the runway. Setting FSX Airline slider at 30% keeps the airport busy without too many conflicts.

Thanks so much for your help - much appreciated!

Bruce
freddy View Drop Down
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote freddy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Apr 2013 at 12:44am
It's great when things work as you want/expect, and you also learn something along the way. I am glad to have helped.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic