Just Flight Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Just Flight Products > MS Flight
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

I broke FS2004 and FSX just closed

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Check-In Staff
Check-In Staff

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote markgr1nyer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: I broke FS2004 and FSX just closed
    Posted: 01 Apr 2013 at 12:09am
Hi

I was faffing about with resolution sizes in FS2004 to try and make the writing clearer in the cockpit (got HD1080 16" monitor so scrunched up) and selected what I assume to be a non compatiable screen resolution (was on 1900x1080 or something, 1280x768 knocked it out) and now when I go on it either directly or through an add on such as air hauler or airliner pilot it looses the video signal. I have tried uninstall then install but this hasn't worked. The only thing I changed was the screen resolution.

Is there any way of changing the screen resolution without entering FS2004 (as I cant see what I'm doing)

I have been trying to use air hauler with FSX instead but about an hour into my first flight FSX just closed with no warning or reason just as I was about to go from London control to Scottish control (I use Radar Contact)

Many Thanks
Mark
A good landing is one where you can walk away from it. An excellent landing is one where you can use the aircraft again
allardjd View Drop Down
Moderator in Command
Moderator in Command

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote allardjd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Apr 2013 at 12:45am
You should be able to use the Windows control panel to reset the global screen resolution. I don't know if that will work within FS or not, as FS9 and FSX each has it's own cfg file that manages a lot of things independent of Windows.

In my FSX.cfg I find a section labeled...
[DISPLAY.Device.NVIDIA GeForce GT 530.0] (that's my graphics card)

Below that is a line...

Mode=1920x1080x32,

...which could be edited in Notepad and saved.

For FS9 the corresponding search within FS9.cfg finds these lines, which seem to do the same thing as the ones above do in FSX...

[DISPLAY.Device.NVIDIA GeForce GT 530.0]

Mode=1440x900x16

By the way, this sub forum is for the late, not-so-great, defunct, gone-and-hopefully-forgotten MS Flight game. You're not going to find many readers here. This is better posted in the General Discussion forum (not Just Chat - General Discussion). I'll try to move this thread after making this post but not sure my mod credentials extend to this forum.

EDIT: As I thought, my mod privileges do not allow me to move this thread to the other forum. If you, as the OP cannot, you might try posting the original question again in the proper forum.

JDA
John Allard
markgr1nyer View Drop Down
Check-In Staff
Check-In Staff

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote markgr1nyer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Apr 2013 at 2:05am
Thanks John for the quick advice. Unfortunatly I cant find the file within the FS9 installation (Standard C drive). If it helps I'm running an ATI radeon 7770HD

Could the problem with FSX be due to a poor PSU? I got a cheap 700w one when I upgraded my graphics card and RAM to 16gb but only after found out that cheap high wottage PSU's dont tend to be as good.

Many Thanks so far
Mark
A good landing is one where you can walk away from it. An excellent landing is one where you can use the aircraft again
allardjd View Drop Down
Moderator in Command
Moderator in Command

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote allardjd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Apr 2013 at 2:37am
It's not likely that the PSU could cause that problem - make no mistake, they can cause problems but probably not that one.

FSX.cfg and FS9.cfg are not with the rest of the FS files. They get squirrelled away at the opposite end of your directory tree and may even be in a hidden folder. Make sure you have Windows Explorer (or whatever you use to see files and folders) set to display hidden files.

Run a global search for the file names "FSX.cfg" and/or "FS9.cfg" and be patient - they are lurking there somewhere but it may take some minutes of crunching and grinding for Windows to find them.

Try a manual edit and save using Notepad, editing the line I noted above to a standard resolution that is no larger than the native resolution of your display. That should work.
John Allard
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic