This forum is in read-only mode for archive purposes, please use our new forum at https://community.justflight.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Just Chat > Hardware
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

2048 Textures ???

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
First Officer
First Officer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CaptainIFLY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 2048 Textures ???
    Posted: 27 Mar 2013 at 5:33pm
Question ???

Most all my Aircraft in my FSX Gold Acceleration are using the 1024 Textures, recently I purchased another Aircraft that uses these high quality 2048 X 2048 Textures.

My computer even with a really Decent Video Graphics card and 12 Gigs of Ram and a quad core processor, just doesn't seem to be able handle those 2048 X 2048 textures without slowing down the performance something fiercely,,

I have to lower my Flight Sim settings, to be able to get them to work, which, is kinda pointless just to be able to use the Aircraft, while everything else around it scenery wize looks dull.

Frankly, i'm NOT all that impressed with the 2048 X 2048 textures, I can see they make the rivets and some guages in the cockpit look somewhat better, and probably easier to paint for the painters maybe,, but as far as Flying & operating the Aircraft, I feel its pointless, unless your the type that likes RIVETS stareing you in the face while you Fly and that gives you the Jollys or something,,

the rest of the Aircraft I have in my Sim, work & Perform just fine, without any loss of performance using the 1024 X1024 Textures and the Aircraft looks just fine !!!

I wish that were an OPTION, to have those high quality Textures, to those that want them and have the ability to display them, many of us out here don't have a system or the ability to display those Textures without a severe loss of performance on the Simulator .

I see the New Lockheed Tri-Star uses those new High Def Textures - "Four TriStar variants in 25 paint schemes with high-resolution 2048x2048 textures" ~ !!!!  

Well, that lets me out, I've already got sucker punched by purchasing another Aircraft with those kinds of textures, and it slows down the performance of my Sim, considerably,, causes it to be jittery graphics wise, and I don't feel I need or should have to slide my Sliders way down to adjust the scenery levels just to get the Aircraft to Fly decent !

I really don't get off on looking at Rivets down the side of the plane anyway,, not my thing,,,,,,,

Guess I'll stick to my really Decent Freeware L-1011's with full interiors in a 1024 Texture size,, 

whats next in the "Future" - Texture Wize - "5078 Texture Size & Quality",, who can handle those ?????

Capt. I~Fly 

modelflyer View Drop Down
Ground Crew
Ground Crew

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote modelflyer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Mar 2013 at 9:38pm
The Carenado Cessna 182T HD has about 4096x4096 textures and that does hit the frames a bit.
VulcanB2 View Drop Down
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VulcanB2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jun 2013 at 4:03pm
Quote My computer even with a really Decent Video Graphics card

According to Intel, in-built graphics is "really decent". Can you be more explicit?

Best regards,
Vulcan.
MartinW View Drop Down
Moderator in Command
Moderator in Command

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MartinW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jun 2013 at 10:59am
Originally posted by VulcanB2 VulcanB2 wrote:

Quote My computer even with a really Decent Video Graphics card

According to Intel, in-built graphics is "really decent". Can you be more explicit?

Best regards,
Vulcan.

Precisely!

I agree with Vulcan.

"My computer even with a really Decent Video Graphics card and 12 Gigs of Ram and a quad core processor"

This doesn't mean much. You need to tells us your specs. Your RAM is overkill.

I have an i7 3770K overclocked to 4.5GHz, and an EVGA GTX 580. 8GB DDR3. With this set up I get VERY good performance.

FSX needs a powerful CPU. And these days, given that we run stuff like REX, with high def clouds, the graphics card is becoming more important than it used to be. Especially with BP=0.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic