This forum is in read-only mode for archive purposes, please use our new forum at https://community.justflight.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Just Flight Products > DC-6B - Legends of Flight
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Cannot open cowl flaps

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Check-In Staff
Check-In Staff

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote macjack39 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Cannot open cowl flaps
    Posted: 28 Feb 2013 at 4:02pm
In proceeding from a cold and dark cockpit, I seem unable to open the cowl flaps. I position the mouse over the control and get a "hand". If I left click nothing happens or if I drag the mouse when holding down the left button, nothing happens. I did get the rightmost  switch to move about 16 degrees, but then beyond that I could not get it to move either way. What is wrong here? I do have FSX with Acceleration installed. My understanding is that should include both Service Pack 1 and 2. Am I right on that. If not, that may then be the problem. If not, are there other switches that must be turned on before one can activate the cowl flap swithces? Help please.

Jack
panda234 View Drop Down
Check-In Staff
Check-In Staff

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote panda234 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 May 2016 at 11:13pm
I have the same problem. Any takers to give us a hand?
PeterL View Drop Down
Check-In Staff
Check-In Staff

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PeterL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jun 2016 at 11:52am
A bit late, but I just saw your post today. The problem with the JF DC-6 (and the Connie and the DC-3 as well) is that it's not an in-depth simulation like the 737NG by PMDG. It can be difficult to operate some systems from the VC. Some switches are just fake and do nothing. Cowl flaps have no influence on operating the engines at all, you can take-off and fly for hours with the throttles set at full power without damaging the engines. But than, you don't have to pay 70 box for this aircraft. Being propliner lovers we just have to live with this type of add-on aircraft. Here is what I did to give my propliners a bit more "life"so to speak.
The panel is lifeless, there are no sounds. So the first thing I did was downloading the cockpitsoundsv2 gauge by Daniel Gauthier. You can find it on Flightsim or Avsim. It is designed for general aviation aircraft, but it works also with the DC-6 and the Connie. If you own the Connie as well, you can copy the squeaking brakes gauge to the DC-6. Just go to panel folder of the J069, open the panel.cfg, scroll down to the section [Vcockpit01] and find the lines gauge07=.....  and gauge08=..    and copy and paste these 2 lines to the same spot in the DC-6 panel.cfg  Of course you have to change the numbers to the right order, don't forget that. Next find another soundfile for the engines. Look for the freeware package fsx_sas_pwr2800_sounds.zip And now the subject of your post: the cowl flaps. To make life a lot easier I changed the button assignments in FSX. Go to Settings-Controls-Button/keys, scroll down to Cowl flaps(close incrementally) and change the default setting to a single letter, the C for example. Do the same for "open incrementally" the letter "O" will do. ( I never use the "C"and the "O" so no problem here. One more step to go. The engines of our dc-6 start the moment you push the startbutton. That's not very realistic. To give the engines a slow start do the following. Go to the aircraft.cfg,  scroll down to the section [Piston_Engine] and find the line normalized_starter_torque=0.035 and change the value to 0.005  Make a note of the default value as this can be tricky, too low a value and your engines will not start at all.!!!
This is not a major improvemnet of the dc-6 of course, Í am not a designer of add-on aircraft, but it gives just a bit more life to the six, and more fun.  When preparing your fligth go into cockpitview, press the batteryswitch (CLICK), generators (CLACK) beacon on (click), then go to spotview.
Select engine 3   press E3
Open cowl flaps    press "O" 2 or 3 times
Props high rpm  press ctrl + F4
Mixture full rich  press shift+ctrl+f4
magneto and start  press M+++

then select engine 4 and repeat the above, followed by E2 and E1
Don't forget to select all engines by pressing E1234

Excuse my english which is not my native language.
Enjoy your DC6 

Peter 

panda234 View Drop Down
Check-In Staff
Check-In Staff

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote panda234 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jun 2016 at 3:16pm
Hi Peter, thanks for the detailed reply. I'll give one or more of these tips a try! 

Thanks again and enjoy your DC-6!
theav8r View Drop Down
Check-In Staff
Check-In Staff

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote theav8r Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jun 2016 at 12:40am
Just stumbled across this post, and noted with interest.

An easy way to open and close cowl flaps (on any aircraft fitted with them), is CTRL/SHFT+V to open, and CTRL/SHFT+C to close. Just press the V and C several times whilst holding down CTRL/SHFT to get different degrees of opening and closing.

Hope this helps
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic