This forum is in read-only mode for archive purposes, please use our new forum at https://community.justflight.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Just Chat > Hardware
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

FSX not running too well...

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Ground Crew
Ground Crew

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jon157uk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: FSX not running too well...
    Posted: 05 Feb 2013 at 10:59am
I've just built a PC on the Windows 7 system and can not believe how poorly my FSX is running on it, is there something I have to do to get it to run right? I've even tried it at only slightly over medium settings and it's still pretty jerky and slow and to be honest it's not running much better on this machine than it was on my old GTX8800 card.
The new PC has an ASUS P8-Z68 board, core i5 @ 3.4G, 8Mb ram @ 1660mhz and a GTX580. It will run Battlefield 3 flat out at ultra high level so why the hell is it stuggling with FSX?
Am I missing something?

Thanks... Jon T.
MartinW View Drop Down
Moderator in Command
Moderator in Command

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MartinW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Feb 2013 at 3:54pm

BF3 is a modern game; FSX is archaic software that MS bolted new features to that it could barely handle. It's only now with modern hardware that the situation is improving.

For reference, I have an i7 3770k overclocked to 4.5GHz. 8GB DDR3, EVGA GTX580. FSX loves CPU power!

First thing to look at is sliders. High traffic will sap performance, as will bloom, excessively high AA settings, shadows etc.

Also consider that 4GHz and above is best for FSX. If you can overclock it will pay dividends.

Consider scenery as well, especially ultra demanding payware airports, some of them will render FSX, on even a powerful system, a slide show.

Run at your monitor’s native resolution.

There are some very beneficial cfg tweaks you can try.

You have a 580GTX, as I do, so you should benefit from the BP=0 tweak. That should give you 10 plus FPS in bad weather.

My cfg tweaks...

[BufferPools]

PoolSize=0

[Main]
FIBER_FRAME_TIME_FRACTION=0.15

[JOBSCHEDULER]

AffinityMask=14

[GRAPHICS]

HIGHMEMFIX=1

jon157uk View Drop Down
Ground Crew
Ground Crew

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jon157uk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Feb 2013 at 12:34am
Thank you Martin, how do I do cfg tweaks mate?
MartinW View Drop Down
Moderator in Command
Moderator in Command

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MartinW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Feb 2013 at 11:25am

First, make sure the sim is running properly. That means being sensible with sliders. Too many times lately, I’ve seen people complaining on Avsim that FSX performs badly. Turns out they have ultra detailed payware airports, and complex aircraft and are expecting to be able to run with high sliders. Knock back the sliders for the known frame rate killers. Be sensible.

Try each tweak individually, then test. Too many variables and you won’t have a clue what works and what doesn’t.

First, enable hidden files and folders:

Start/Control Panel/Appearance and Personalisation/Folder Options/View/ then click “show hidden files, folders and drives”.

To find the FSX cfg file:

C: [or wherever your FSX is] Users/your user name/AppData/Roaming/Microsoft/FSX/

Then open the FSX cfg with notepad. You may see two cfg files, don’t choose the one that says fsx.CFG, that one’s a duplicate, go for the one that’s labelled FSX.

The following can both go at the top of the cfg file, exactly as you see them.

[BufferPools]

PoolSize=0

BP=0 may introduce artifacts, especially when you pan around the aircraft from an outside view. If this occurs, make sure your frame rate lock in FSX is set sensibly. I find I have to lock below 50 to prevent artifacts. Also consider lower autogen is you see artifacts. Water slider should be set one notch away from max. This will also prevent flashing textures with BP=0.

[JOBSCHEDULER]

AffinityMask=14

Regarding AffinityMask=14:

This assumes you have a cpu with Hyperthreading turned OFF in your bios. You didn't say which CPU you have. If you have HT, turn it off, it does nothing for FSX, but it does increase temperature by 10 degrees.

FIBER_FRAME_TIME_FRACTION=0.15 Goes in the section labeled [Main]

HIGHMEMFIX=1 Goes in the section labeled [GRAPHICS]

HIGHMEMFIX=1 This isn’t a tweak as such, it’s actually a fix, that Microsoft forgot to include. So you should most certainly add this.

MartinW View Drop Down
Moderator in Command
Moderator in Command

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MartinW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Feb 2013 at 11:37am
The top of my cfg for reference...
[JOBSCHEDULER]
AffinityMask=14
[BufferPools]
PoolSize=0

[SOUND]
AmbientUIMusicVolume=-6.000000
SOUND_FADER1=0.500000

[Main]
FIBER_FRAME_TIME_FRACTION=0.15
User Objects=Airplane, Helicopter
SimObjectPaths.0=SimObjects\Airplanes
SimObjectPaths.1=SimObjects\Rotorcraft
SimObjectPaths.2=SimObjects\GroundVehicles
SimObjectPaths.3=SimObjects\Boats
SimObjectPaths.4=SimObjects\Animals
SimObjectPaths.5=SimObjects\Misc
Maximized=1
Location=440,130,1480,908,\\.\DISPLAY1
HideMenuNormal=0
HideMenuFullscreen=1
ProcSpeed=16075
PerfBucket=7

[GRAPHICS]
HIGHMEMFIX=1
SHADER_CACHE_PRIMED=1693458432
TEXTURE_MAX_LOAD=1024
NUM_LIGHTS=8
AIRCRAFT_SHADOWS=0
AIRCRAFT_REFLECTIONS=1
COCKPIT_HIGH_LOD=1
LANDING_LIGHTS=1
AC_SELF_SHADOW=0
EFFECTS_QUALITY=2
GROUND_SHADOWS=0
TEXTURE_QUALITY=3
IMAGE_QUALITY=0
See_Self=1
Text_Scroll=1
SHADER_CA

If something gets messed up, then simply delete the cfg. FSX will build a new one next time you fire up the sim. Your slider settings won't be saved though.

Or, copy the CFG as a backup prior to edits.
jon157uk View Drop Down
Ground Crew
Ground Crew

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jon157uk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Feb 2013 at 11:50am
That's brilliant mate, thanks very much. I've printed that off now and I'll give it a try at the weekend.
MartinW View Drop Down
Moderator in Command
Moderator in Command

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MartinW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Feb 2013 at 11:59am
Hope you printed it off after I corrected the AffinityMask=1 error. It should be 14.  Smile
PoolSize=0 Should be your best tweak. You will se a slight improvement in good weather. However, with a heavy weather scenario I see a VERY significant increase in frame rate.

see here...

jon157uk View Drop Down
Ground Crew
Ground Crew

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jon157uk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Feb 2013 at 1:44pm
Very interesting reading Martin, I'm going to give your suggestions a try when I finish work at the weekend. I'll let you know how I get on mate.

Thanks very much for your time and help.
jon157uk View Drop Down
Ground Crew
Ground Crew

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jon157uk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Feb 2013 at 9:09pm
OK Martin, I've edited my .cfg and I'm not only getting much better performance but I also seem to be getting much better graphics because the whole thing is now running much smoother than before. The only time I get any 'jitter' now is when I come to fly over the bigger cities and even then it only lasts for like a few milliseconds.
The whole game is now far more enjoyable.
Thanks very much mate that's been a great help.
MartinW View Drop Down
Moderator in Command
Moderator in Command

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MartinW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Feb 2013 at 2:32pm
In regard to the BP=0 tweak...

In clear weather you won't notice much, accept less stuttering. However, if you park a complex add-on, something like the PMDG 737 NGX, at a detailed airport, something like EGLL, and you load up a heavy weather scenario... you should see a significant increase in frame rate.

And lets face it, it's during those demanding weather scenarios that we actually require the higher frame rate.

MartinW View Drop Down
Moderator in Command
Moderator in Command

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MartinW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Feb 2013 at 10:58am
Most also use Nvidia Inspector. Offers settings the Nvidia control panel doesn't.

jon157uk View Drop Down
Ground Crew
Ground Crew

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jon157uk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Feb 2013 at 4:00pm
Never heard of that, I'll google it and check it out, thanks.
Soaranden View Drop Down
P1
P1

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Soaranden Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Feb 2013 at 4:09pm
There's a download link for NVIDIA Inspector in the latest version of the Software & Hardware Guide for FSX. I also mention the guide because it is comprehensive. There's a link to Steve Parsons' shader patch. His shader patch enables airports to render in DX10 with no display problems.
jon157uk View Drop Down
Ground Crew
Ground Crew

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jon157uk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Feb 2013 at 3:35am
OK this is good stuff and things I've never heard of before. Some of the software suggested in the guide doesn't seem to work but it's a great read and very informative, some of the suggestions are impracticable but I can try out a lot of them and see where I get.

Thanks Soaranden
MartinW View Drop Down
Moderator in Command
Moderator in Command

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MartinW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Feb 2013 at 12:09pm
Yes, Paul from Avsim did a good job with his guide. But don't dive in and do everything. Pick what you want, what works.

There are a couple of points in Paul's guide I don't agree with.
RalphC View Drop Down
Check-In Staff
Check-In Staff

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RalphC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Nov 2013 at 8:32am
Hi There..
Just been reading this topic with interest. Really helpful. Was on the verge of doing an FSX re-install Confused (scary prospect indeed) and your guidance on the FSX .cfg Martin seems to have had a positive effect. 

Reason for looking through here (just joined the Forum) is that I've just purchased and installed the 146-200/300 pack and I'm having a few problems...one being with the sound.gau and the dreaded FSX Messager.."Direct Sound failed to initialize" (sic) 

But your help here is greatly appreciated...Smile
Thanks
Ralph 
RalphC View Drop Down
Check-In Staff
Check-In Staff

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RalphC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Nov 2013 at 7:22pm
Hi Again..
Further to my last email, I decided to do a re-install of FSX after 'gutting out' the old version and doing a complete defrag. One of the reasons for this was that when I finished a flight using thing the 146-200/300 (146-200/300 Jetliner) I've just purchased...The FSX main screen disappeared partially to the bottom right hand part of my screen! Confused I was also getting the 'Create Buffer Sound failed' & 'Direct Sound failed to initialize' messages...This didn't happen with other Aircraft...I did uninstall the AC as instructed BTW to avoid problems with the reinstall. 

Imagine my surprise, when after the reinstall of FSX..and the subsequent reinstall of my 146..The same happens again..Not only that, Parts of the programme are missing..can't find them, namely the quality wings dispatcher. I'm assuming that this is part of the package.

This is a wonderful aircraft and clearly a great deal of work has been invested into its production as well as the production of the manuals. Which, I'm referring to when I need to. Not a complaint, I just want to enjoy it to it's full. I have contacted the 'help desk' by email as advised in the manual. No reply...Can anyone help please?
THanks
RalphC 
MartinW View Drop Down
Moderator in Command
Moderator in Command

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MartinW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Nov 2013 at 10:10am
If Just Flight support still haven't contacted you, I'd send them a reminder Ralph. Might be worth posting in the general discussion forum as well. Doubt they will see it here in the hardware forum.

This is one of those topics that ended up in Hardware despite being software. Smile

RalphC View Drop Down
Check-In Staff
Check-In Staff

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RalphC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Nov 2013 at 11:29am
Hi Martin...
Thanks so much for the response Smile Relieved I've got a reply. I've actually sent the 'topic' I've posted here to them....mainly out of frustration. They've replied with another message saying they've received my query. 

Basically, today, I actually downloaded again the installer, in the hope I was unlucky with the first one. I'm getting the same results described above. At a loss as to why. My PC is 'clean.' 

I might be misunderstanding as to what the package contains (The 146-200/300 Jetliner) 

I'm looking for: The Dispatcher and repaint installer. The Manual also suggests three panels. However, there doesn't seem to be a reference as how to get them. At least I can't find it. Ermm If, it means upgrading, fair enough, should be made clear though. The rest of the manual is excellent BTW. 

I Apologise if I seem to be moaning 'bout this, but it is a little frustrating. Other than that, can't fault this aircraft.

Thanks again for the reply.
Best wishes
Ralph

MartinW View Drop Down
Moderator in Command
Moderator in Command

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MartinW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Nov 2013 at 5:00pm
I'm sure you'll receive help now Ralph. If not, let me know via PM, and I'll give them a nudge via other means at my disposal.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic