This forum is in read-only mode for archive purposes, please use our new forum at https://community.justflight.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Just Flight Products > Traffic 360
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Dancing Dash 8's

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Check-In Staff
Check-In Staff

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote thegeg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Dancing Dash 8's
    Posted: 30 Jan 2013 at 3:31pm
Afternoon all,

I've tried the search feature however nothing has shown up.

Is there anyway one can stop the Dash 8 Q400 jumping around like a mad man when on stand and taxiing? I'm not sure what's causing this behaviour.

Can this be fixed with a .cfg update? Has anybody experimented?

Thanks,

George
Regards,
George Graham
freddy View Drop Down
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote freddy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Feb 2013 at 4:48am
Having some scenery sliders up too high, thus "overloading" your PC a bit too much as FSX runs, can be a cause of jumping AI.  When you first run FSX you may see AI jump as each different scenery "layer" loads ... before it eventually settles down after all of the layers have finished loading.  But, if the AI then CONTINUE to jump (maybe only one model [the Dash 8 in your case], or more than one model), it is likely to be because one or more scenery sliders is up high enough to keep causing issues. Usually, the Mesh Resolution will be the culprit.  Try lowering that slider first.  And, if that doesn't resolve it, try lowering the others.
Soaranden View Drop Down
P1
P1

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Soaranden Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Feb 2013 at 4:35pm
Yes, try freddy's above suggestions, first, but if that doesn't take care of the problem, there might be something wrong with the aircraft model, itself.

Last year, I downloaded a freeware aircraft that was released by one of the best commercial FSX aircraft developers on the planet. The aircraft had the jumping problem. I contacted the developer, and he quickly released an update to the freeware aircraft. He corrected the jumping problem by changing the aircraft's landing gear, thereby lowering the aircraft's center of gravity. (I don't know whether the shaking problem really resulted from a "center of gravity" problem, but the replacement landing gear did appear to be shorter, and something relating to the new landing gear corrected the problem).

If the problem ends up appearing to be the aircraft, itself, I suggest making Just Flight support aware of the problem so that Just Flight can let the developer know of the potential problem with the aircraft model. That's the only way such a problem can get fixed in a Traffic 360 service pack. Just Flight support needs to know about anything that appears to be a problem.

Certainly, it should be possible to have multiple instances of a single aircraft model at an airport without having all like aircraft models shake. Sure, jumping will probably go away if the only instance at an airport of the formerly jumping model is a Traffic 360 model that you are using as a user aircraft. But disabling certain models used in AI aircraft traffic is not what Traffic 360 is all about.

Dan
freddy View Drop Down
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote freddy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Feb 2013 at 10:54pm
Further to Dan's message ...

If it turns out to be a problem with the specific Traffic 360 Dash-8 model, then it would probably be a sure thing that other users would have seen this behaviour with their Dash-8s as well.  I would expect to see other reports of it happening for other people.  Therefore, based on the fact there appears to be no other reports of this "bouncing" from other users, I would suspect the model is likely to be OK ... especially if my suspicions are correct that the models used in Traffic 360 are the same models from Traffic X (and are most likely unmodified) and I've not seen this issue in Traffic X.

However, despite that, Dan's point is well made and the model may indeed have an issue.  The suggestion about adjusting the FSX sliders down a little may indeed fix it ... but, even so, it might still be worth mentioning it to Just Flight all the same.  Just Flight are not likely to see this forum message, so a note to them via their SUPPORT page is the correct way to contact them.  If the model is actualy faulty in some way, then Just Flight can correct it in readiness for a Service Pack.
RayM View Drop Down
First Officer
First Officer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RayM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Feb 2013 at 12:56pm
Just to add to the information regarding the 'jumping' phenomenon I pass on some details that occured to me only last week.
I downloaded a freeware aircraft and it looked and worked fine when I took it for a few spins. But when I tried to program it, using Traffic X, to act as an AI aircraft all I got, whilst it taxied out to the runway, was a 'dancing and prancing' object which eventually dived into the ground and disappeared completely!
I got in touch with the designer who advised me that the 'flyable' aircraft was definitely unsuitable for use as AI due to the contents of the '.air' file and the high quality textures that were applied to the aircraft model. He pointed me to his web site where has also posted AI versions of his aircraft.
Life in the Flight Simulater world can get very complicated indeed!
A long time FSXA and Traffic X user
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic