This forum is in read-only mode for archive purposes, please use our new forum at https://community.justflight.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Just Flight Products > Traffic 360
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

787 Aircraft Model

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote freddy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 787 Aircraft Model
    Posted: 29 Jan 2013 at 1:36am

I don't have Traffic 360 (still considering it).  I do have Traffic X.

The 787 model in Traffic X is based on the original Boeing concept with a "shark fin" tail.  It looks kind of wierd to see this aircraft in FSX when the real-life aircraft now looks nothing like it.

Obviously, not having Traffic 360, I don't know what the 787 looks like in Traffic 360.

I am curious ... Has this AI model in Traffic 360 been corrected to look like the actual real-life Boeing 787 aircraft (ie, no "shark fin" tail)?

Even better, would someone be kind enough to please post a screenshot of the 787? ...

thegeg View Drop Down
Check-In Staff
Check-In Staff

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote thegeg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jan 2013 at 3:26pm
Afternoon,

I've tried to upload a screenshot of the 787 however I've ran into some difficulties.

The 787 does have the shark fin tail though. In all honestly I think it's pretty much the same model as TrafficX give or take one or two tweaks. Didn't really use it in the last edition but the model is far inferior to most other aircraft on T360. There are some wonderful models that have been made more recently than some terrible ones.

Hope this helps.

George
Regards,
George Graham
freddy View Drop Down
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote freddy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jan 2013 at 11:03pm
Ahh.  So you are suggesting that they haven't changed the model from the one that's in Traffic X ...

Does it look like this (Traffic X) one here, with the "shark fin" tail?  (And very incorrect Air New Zealand 787 livery.)

If yes, then I am disappointed that Just Flight haven't changed it.

The word "fail" comes to mind.

Traffic 360 comes across as merely a "re-badged" version of Traffic X with flight plan alterations and some front-end interface variations, but unchanged models and unmodified (often outdated) liveries?  Hmmm?

Yes ... of course, I can indeed download an appropriate replacement 787 model and use it with Traffic 360 ... adding it in, updating liveries, and modifying flight plans for it.  Sure I can.

But ... given Traffic 360's release date, being well after the 787 aircraft design was finalised and actual 787 planes have been delivered to the first airlines ... I feel that kind of work should have already been done by Just Flight to appear in the released version of the Traffic 360 package.  It shouldn't be left up to the paying customers to have to make modifications to a product they have purchased when, in my opinion, that product clearly had ample time to incorporate the changes, for current-world accuracy and completeness, before its release date.  Most customers won't have the time or knowledge of how to make such changes anyway.  The product's own marketing implies that it incorporates real-world schedules etc.  So I'd naturally expect real-world updates to models and liveries as well.  The "out-of-the-box" experience is important.  Things like this affect a customer's potential sales decision.  It may indeed affect mine.

I appreciate that Just Flight may be a small company which might not have the resources nor time to research and fascilitate all of the many updates and changes required to all of the world's aircraft and liveries ... it's a big job ... fair enough ... but they've obviously managed to do that before and brought us the original Traffic X product in all of its scope and glory ... so one does have to wonder.  At the very least, with something that is so much in the eye of the general public at the moment, the 787 Dreamliner, just like the Airbus A380 before it, I would have thought that this aircraft, above all others, would have received some attention in the released version of Traffic 360.  Apparently not.  (Maybe perhaps in a forthcoming Service Pack?)

I'd still be interested to see a screenshot of the 787 from Traffic 360, if you or anyone else can upload one.  If she has indeed been modified, then it would certainly be "humble pie" for me.
cwk19 View Drop Down
Check-In Staff
Check-In Staff

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cwk19 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Feb 2013 at 9:40pm
Does this answer your question?

This was taken 10 mins ago in Traffic 360, looks exactly the same to me. I think the only aircraft models which have had any alterations made are the smaller regional jets and turbo props (though I may be wrong).

All we can hope for is that Just Flight make some significant improvements to Traffic 360 in the coming update because at the moment I'm kind of regretting buying it.   
freddy View Drop Down
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote freddy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Feb 2013 at 3:24am

Yes, that definately DOES answer my question.

Thankyou for posting the screenshot (especially the NZ one, confirming that the livery of the Traffic 360 model has not been changed by Just Flight either).

The Traffic 360 model is CLOSE to being correct ... but, is NOT correct.  And that fact would annoy the crap out of me as I fly the FSX skies.

•  Notice the "shark fin" tail on the Traffic 360 model ... but not on the actual aircraft.

•  Notice the angle of the tail on the Traffic 360 model ... compared with the tail on the actual aircraft.

•  Notice the "standard" engine nacelles on the Traffic 360 model ... but not on the actual aircraft which has noise-reducing serrated edges (chevrons).

•  Notice the folded wingtips on the Traffic 360 model ... but not on the actual aircraft which has "raked wingtips" (meaning the tip of the wing has a higher degree of sweep than the rest of the wing - it is not folded).

•  Notice the cockpit shape and angle on the Traffic 360 model ... compared with the actual aircraft.

•  Notice the incorrect Air New Zealand livery on the Traffic 360 model ... and therefore there's probably incorrect liveries on other 787 models for other airlines as well.

Disappointing Just Flight.  I appreciate that not everything is going to be 100% correct and perfect in a package that depicts the many many aircraft and liveries of all the world's airlines.  But, that said, I don't think it is too much to expect the (concept) 787 model and its liveries from Traffic X to have been updated and corrected for the Traffic 360 package.  It is disappointing not only to see the (unchanged) Traffic X model is in the Traffic 360 package, but it would be even more disappointing for NEW customers of Traffic 360 (who did not have Traffic X) to see an obviously incorrect model in a new and recently released product.

Soaranden View Drop Down
P1
P1

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Soaranden Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Feb 2013 at 7:40am
Hey, freddy!

Is this AI freeware closer to what you're looking for?

Endeavour AI Boeing 787-800

Endeavour AI also has the following base model that could be used to do your own repaints:

GWAI Boing 787-800 Base AI Model

Dan
freddy View Drop Down
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote freddy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Feb 2013 at 11:43am
Dan,

Yes, I have seen both of those AI models. The GWAI one is especially good. I actually downloaded it a week or so ago with the intention of adding it in to Traffic X. However, despite a good range of repaints already available for both models, there is not a repaint for every airline that is currently using and/or has ordered the 787 aircraft. It would be my eventual aim to find a repaint to replace each and every 787 livery in Traffic X, so that all of the flight plans in Traffic Control Centre would simply work as programmed without my having to make modifications or deletions. Rather than me starting to do a plethora of repaints and flight plan work, I simply decided to delete the model I had downloaded with a view that I will revisit this plan/idea at a later date. It was THEN that it occured to me the model in Traffic 360 might have been updated, meaning that there may not be any actual work to be done at all on my part ... if I was to purchase Traffic 360 and import the updated model in to Traffic X ... and thus I started this thread.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic