This forum is in read-only mode for archive purposes, please use our new forum at https://community.justflight.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Just Chat > Hardware
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Graphics card upgrade

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Ground Crew
Ground Crew

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote modelflyer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Graphics card upgrade
    Posted: 28 Dec 2012 at 2:15pm
I have just bought a new graphics card to use with FSX and other games.
Not the latest and greatest but will do for now and it is a DX11 card not that this matters for FSX.
My system currently has an Nvidia GTX295 but I have just bought an EVGA GTX660 3gig version so will be installing it soon. It was worth paying the extra £4 for the extra 1gig of memory in my opinion too.

Right, time to fit it so will let you know how it performs.
modelflyer View Drop Down
Ground Crew
Ground Crew

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote modelflyer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Dec 2012 at 8:24pm
A quick update. I installed the card without any fuss and so did the drivers. I gave FSX a quick go and noticed a decent increase in frame rates in the busy areas like an airport with lots of things going on.
The frame rate is locked at 40 and it stays there whereas before with the old card I was getting between 7 and 25 FPS typically in the same scenario.

The above results were done with Airbus X and ORBX UK with UK2000 Manchester airport.

Before limiting the frame rate I was getting about 65-70FPS when aloft with clear skies as the graphics card/processor is not having to work as hard.

So I am well impressed so far.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic