This forum is in read-only mode for archive purposes, please use our new forum at https://community.justflight.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Just Flight Products > Traffic 360
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Is this correct??

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Ground Crew
Ground Crew

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote quick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Is this correct??
    Posted: 08 Nov 2012 at 3:55am
Hi all,

I noticed that when flying into an airport that the parked TF360 AI have their landing light on. As I get closer the lights go out. This is not at dusk or night, rather 12:34PM. Is this correct? See the inserted image:

Martyn View Drop Down
Just Flight Staff
Just Flight Staff
Development Manager

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Martyn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Nov 2012 at 9:03am
Were the AI aircraft getting ready to depart or were they stationary with their engines off?
Martyn
Just Flight Ltd
freddy View Drop Down
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote freddy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Nov 2012 at 12:01pm
This also happens with Traffic X as well. Well, at least, it does for me. Not all the time, but often enough to be noticeable. And it seemingly can happen at any time of day or night (I've not noticed a specific pattern nor particular time of day).

To respond to Martyn's question ... No, the aircraft are NOT necessarily getting ready for departure. They are stationary with engines not running.

Interestingly it is not always just one plane either. I often see this happen with GROUPS of planes, seeing three or more planes, parked at the same airport, switch their lights on all at the exact same time. And then off again, at the same time.

It can be quite, well, annoying.
freddy View Drop Down
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote freddy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Nov 2012 at 12:30pm
I found the following on Flightsim.com. Could this be what we are seeing?

"It actually is normal. AI Aircraft turn on their NAV lights about 10 minutes before their scheduled departure. When you spawn at an airport, the lights come on default for a few seconds until flight data can be loaded. If the aircraft is departing within the 10 minutes from which you loaded up, they will stay on. If it isn't, then they will go off...This is completely normal and happens with all AI. Is it something you can change? Afraid not...just kinda gotta deal with it.

If a plane isn't going anywhere, why have its lights on?
"

Perhaps we are seeing the result of the AI plane spawning at the airport (or planes)?

Although I notice they are talking about NAV lights, not white taxi/landing lights, which is what we appear to be seeing here. Nonetheless, this explanation does sound plausible.
Soaranden View Drop Down
P1
P1

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Soaranden Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Nov 2012 at 12:54pm
If the above screenshot is from Traffic 360, then I must say I am disappointed to see that the Traffic 360 AI aircraft have the same overblown landing light halos as the landing light halos for Traffic X AI aircraft.

I have replaced many Just Flight AI aircraft with user aircraft that I have downloaded. The user aircraft that I run as AI aircraft do not have the landing light problem that persists with Just Flight AI aircraft.

Dan
quick View Drop Down
Ground Crew
Ground Crew

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote quick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Nov 2012 at 4:36pm
Originally posted by Martyn Martyn wrote:

Were the AI aircraft getting ready to depart or were they stationary with their engines off?

I really don't know but would 3 AI depart at the same time? I was only on the ground taxiing for a couple of mins and in that time I did not see any movement.
quick View Drop Down
Ground Crew
Ground Crew

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote quick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Nov 2012 at 4:40pm
Originally posted by freddy freddy wrote:

This also happens with Traffic X as well. Well, at least, it does for me.

Interestingly it is not always just one plane either. I often see this happen with GROUPS of planes, seeing three or more planes, parked at the same airport, switch their lights on all at the exact same time. And then off again, at the same time.

It can be quite, well, annoying.

I mainly use the airport in the picture to take off from and fly around the area. I have not seen these lights in Traffic X with this being one AI and one that I added at the airport.
quick View Drop Down
Ground Crew
Ground Crew

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote quick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Nov 2012 at 4:48pm
Originally posted by freddy freddy wrote:

I found the following on Flightsim.com. Could this be what we are seeing?

"It actually is normal. AI Aircraft turn on their NAV lights about 10 minutes before their scheduled departure. When you spawn at an airport, the lights come on default for a few seconds until flight data can be loaded. If the aircraft is departing within the 10 minutes from which you loaded up, they will stay on. If it isn't, then they will go off...This is completely normal and happens with all AI. Is it something you can change? Afraid not...just kinda gotta deal with it.

If a plane isn't going anywhere, why have its lights on?
"

Perhaps we are seeing the result of the AI plane spawning at the airport (or planes)?

Although I notice they are talking about NAV lights, not white taxi/landing lights, which is what we appear to be seeing here. Nonetheless, this explanation does sound plausible.

I'm a novice with Traffic 360. But if there is this 10 min spawning time then in the image would 3 AI aircraft take off within 10 mins of each other?

It would seem that the justflight crew would know if this spawning is within Traffic 360? Maybe they can confirm if spawning does or does not exist in TF360??
quick View Drop Down
Ground Crew
Ground Crew

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote quick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Nov 2012 at 4:49pm
Originally posted by Soaranden Soaranden wrote:

If the above screenshot is from Traffic 360

Yes Dan. Its from Traffic 360
freddy View Drop Down
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote freddy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Nov 2012 at 8:08am
Originally posted by quick quick wrote:

I'm a novice with Traffic 360. But if there is this 10 min spawning time then in the image would 3 AI aircraft take off within 10 mins of each other?

Yes, it is possible that all three aircraft could be set to takeoff within ten minutes of each other.

Due to frame rate issues etc, it is simply not possible for FSX to load every AI plane in to FSX for the entire whole world.  So a "radius" (or "bubble" to be more correct) is created around your user aircraft.  AI planes that fall within that bubble will spawn at the radius perimeter.  The bubble obviously moves with you as you fly, and so, as you go along, more AI planes will be spawning.  Etc etc.  This bubble is quite large and therefore you generally won't see or notice this spawning way off in the distance at the edge of the bubble.  However, if the sim is overloaded and busy doing other things, causing the spawning to be delayed for some reason while FSX does other stuff, then there could be times when planes "pop" in to view at a reasonably short distance.  At this time, according to that text I found on Flightsim.com, FSX will load in their flight data, and their lights will come on.  Obviously, being closer to you than they normally would be, PLUS having their lights on, makes them QUITE NOTICABLE and VISIBLE to you, the user.  I am only guessing that this is what is happening, based on knowledge of the "bubble" and that text I found on Flightsim.com.

Originally posted by quick quick wrote:

It would seem that the justflight crew would know if this spawning is within Traffic 360? Maybe they can confirm if spawning does or does not exist in TF360??

The spawning that we are talking about is done by FSX.  It would happen with any and all AI traffic programs.  Even FSX's own default AI planes like Orbit Airlines, Landmark and Pacifica would spawn in to the sim.

Note that not only do AI planes spawn at the edge of this "bubble" that I speak of, but they are also "throttled" as well.  Not "throttled" as in the throttle you use for your engines ... "throttled" in this case is a computing term used to mean "deleted" or "removed".  In other words, as new AI planes spawn, others are getting removed. You only see the planes that fall within your bubble ... and, as you fly along, and planes leave your bubble, they are "throttled" (removed).  This ensures that the sim does not get overloaded trying to cope with way too many planes.  It only needs to handle the planes that are within your general vicinity (ie, those that are within your "bubble").
quick View Drop Down
Ground Crew
Ground Crew

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote quick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Nov 2012 at 2:28am
Good info Freddy.
freddy View Drop Down
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote freddy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Nov 2012 at 12:18pm
Thumbs%20Up
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic