This forum is in read-only mode for archive purposes, please use our new forum at https://community.justflight.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Just Flight Products > Traffic X / Traffic / Traffic 2005
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Repaint

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Check-In Staff
Check-In Staff

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote don Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Repaint
    Posted: 02 Nov 2012 at 10:37pm
Hi, I need help! I'm trying to repaint from a blank texture I make  a from traffic x texture. I repainted with photoshop and then copied it over the blank texture. All looks ok, I up-dated the Aircraft CFG files but no sign of the aircraft in FSX at all. I also added it to the Airline'/Carrier Code. Any advise please, Don.
freddy View Drop Down
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote freddy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Nov 2012 at 12:34am
Does this aircraft already have schedules created for it?  In other words, you are repainting a plane that you already see flying in your FSX skies and you're merely editing an existing aircraft.cfg entry as opposed to adding a completely brand new [fltsim.x] entry at the bottom of the aircraft.cfg file.

If yes, then you should simply see the plane, with your updated repaint on it, flying in FSX.

If not, then perhaps you haven't done the "next step"?  You've painted the plane, and you've updated the aircraft.cfg file by adding a completely new [fltsim.x] entry to the bottom of the aircraft.cfg file.  But then you need to go one step further and import it in to Traffic X and then ADD/EDIT SCHEDULES for it.

After updating the aircraft.cfg file adding a completely new [fltsim.x] entry to the bottom of the aircraft.cfg file, open the Traffic X Control Centre, go to the FLEET DATABASE screen, and click the UPDATE AIRCRAFT FROM CFGs button at the bottom left.  This will "import" the aircraft in to Traffic X.  After the percentage bar goes across and the import is done, click the APPLY AND EXIT button (you probably don't need to do this, but I always do, just in case).

Close Traffic X.  Re-run Traffic X.  Now your updated plane/livery should be available in Traffic X for you to set add/edit schedules for it.  Add/edit schedules for it in the FLIGHT PLANS screen.

After adding/editing new schedules, remember to recompile the AI traffic database.  See this thread here for instructions on how to do that: How do I re-compile the traffic database?

After all of the above, run FSX ... your plane should appear.
don View Drop Down
Check-In Staff
Check-In Staff

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote don Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Nov 2012 at 2:48pm
Ok, from your suggestions I now know that, my repaint is an existing aircraft.cfg. So how do I get it into my new airline.cfg? Thank you Freddy
freddy View Drop Down
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote freddy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Nov 2012 at 11:43pm
I need more information ... you say it is an existing aircraft.cfg.  What do you mean by that?

Did you modify just ONE LINE of an existing aircraft.cfg file.

Like this:

In this example, the bit that's BOLD would be the bit you might have modified or added.

================================
[fltsim.1]
title=JFAI_TX_A320_AF
sim=JFAIA320
model=
panel=x
sound=
texture=air_france_2
kb_checklists=
kb_reference=
atc_id=F-GFKX
atc_airline=AIR FRANCE
atc_flight_number=123
atc_parking_codes=AFR
atc_parking_types=GATE
ui_manufacturer=Airbus
ui_type=A320
ui_variation=Air France
description=AI

If yes, then WHICH LINE did you modify?

Can you post that part of the relevant aircraft.cfg file and BOLD it so that I can see which line you're talking about.

Or perhaps you added an entirely new section?  Like this:

[fltsim.20]
title=JFAI_TX_A320_AL
sim=JFAIA320
model=
panel=x
sound=
texture=alitalia
kb_checklists=
kb_reference=
atc_id=I-BIKO
atc_airline=ALITALIA_2
atc_flight_number=123
atc_parking_codes=AZA
atc_parking_types=GATE
ui_manufacturer=Airbus
ui_type=A320
ui_variation=Alitalia
description=AI

don View Drop Down
Check-In Staff
Check-In Staff

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote don Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Nov 2012 at 10:15am
Ok, here is the aircraft.cfg

[fltsim.138]
title=JFAI_TX_A320_BEARA14
sim=JFAIA320
model=
panel=
sound=
texture=EAGL
kb_checklists=
kb_reference=
atc_id=EI-DON
atc_airline=BEARA AIR
atc_flight_number=1969
atc_parking_codes=IRE
atc_parking_types=GATE
ui_manufacturer=Airbus
ui_type=A320
ui_variation=Beara Air
description=AI

[fltsim.61]
title=JFAI_TX_A320_EAGL
sim=JFAIA320
model=
panel=x
sound=
texture=EAGL
kb_checklists=
kb_reference=
atc_id=F-EAGC
atc_airline=EAGLE AIR
atc_flight_number=032
atc_parking_codes=EFL
atc_parking_types=GATE
ui_manufacturer=Airbus
ui_type=A320
ui_variation=Eagle Air
description=AI

The original aircraft was Eagle Air. What I now see is the repaint in FSX but it is showing up under the Eagle Air name. It is not showing in the aircraft selection part of FSX either. I hope that helps! Regards Don.
freddy View Drop Down
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote freddy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Nov 2012 at 12:36am
OK ...

Your aircraft.cfg file shows that the BEARA AIR plane is using the livery that's in the EAGL texture folder.  This line here confirms that: "texture=EAGL"

[fltsim.138]
title=JFAI_TX_A320_BEARA14
sim=JFAIA320
model=
panel=
sound=
texture=EAGL
kb_checklists=
kb_reference=
atc_id=EI-DON
atc_airline=BEARA AIR
atc_flight_number=1969
atc_parking_codes=IRE
atc_parking_types=GATE
ui_manufacturer=Airbus
ui_type=A320
ui_variation=Beara Air
description=AI

The texture folder that's being used would be called "texture.EAGL" and would be found here: "C:\...\Flight Simulator X\SimObjects\TrafficX\JFAI_A320".

If your intention was for a COMPLETELY NEW Beara Air livery in your FSX, still keeping the original Eagle Air livery, then you would need to create a COMPLETELY NEW FOLDER for Beara Air under "C:\...\Flight Simulator X\SimObjects\TrafficX\JFAI_A320".

An example folder name might be "texture.BEARA".  Your repaint would be put in to this new folder.

AND, after creating this new folder and putting your repaint in it, you would then need to also create a BRAND NEW entry for it in the aircraft.cfg file ... modifying the following necessary lines:

"[fltsim.138]"  and
"title=JFAI_TX_A320_BEARA"  and
"texture=BEARA"  and
"atc_airline=BEARA AIR"  and
"atc_parking_codes=IRE"  and
"ui_variation=Beara Air"

(The number 138 is the next available free [Fltsim.x] number in the sequence in the aircraft.cfg file.)

Like this:

[fltsim.138]
title=JFAI_TX_A320_BEARA

sim=JFAIA320
model=
panel=x
sound=
texture=BEARA
kb_checklists=
kb_reference=
atc_id=F-EAGC
atc_airline=BEARA AIR
atc_flight_number=032
atc_parking_codes=IRE
atc_parking_types=GATE
ui_manufacturer=Airbus
ui_type=A320
ui_variation=Beara Air
description=AI

"atc_id=" and "atc_flight_number=" do not necessarily need to be changed, but, yes, it is best to do so for clarity and completeness.

You would then use the Traffic X Control Centre FLEET DATABASE screen to IMPORT your new livery (click the button "UPDATE AIRCRAFT FROM CFGs") so that it appears in the Traffic X Control Centre.  After doing the import, remember to click APPLY AND EXIT and then close and re-run the Traffic X Control Centre.

Your plane should now appear in Traffic X Control Centre as "Beara Air" (from the ui_variation line).

It will not appear in FSX until you use the Traffic X Control Centre to make schedules for it and then recompile the AI traffic file.

=========================

Out of interest, I cannot find any airline (using Google) called "Beara Air".  I was curious to find it so that I could provide you with an accurate atc_parking_code.  ATC parking codes are usually based on an airline's three letter ICAO airline designator.  You can find those here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Airline_codes.  According to the list, the code "IRE" that you've got in your airline.cfg is associated with "Pariz Air" from Iran.

don View Drop Down
Check-In Staff
Check-In Staff

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote don Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Nov 2012 at 1:57pm
Ok, it's slowing coming together. What I was trying to do was, make my own texture but ended up using a different texture.
I need to sort that out for next time.
Where would I find the repaint textures that you make?
The Beara Air is not real, its where I come from in Ireland.
The parking code I'll change too.
What you have explained to me is now becoming more clear.

Regards Don.

freddy View Drop Down
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote freddy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Nov 2012 at 11:13pm
Originally posted by don don wrote:

Where would I find the repaint textures that you make?

The answer to "where do I find the textures?" depends on how you do your repaints and what program you use.

Examples:

1) If you use the Traffic X Repaint Tool and choose to ADD NEW LIVERY, then it will create a brand new texture folder for you under "C:\...\Flight Simulator X\SimObjects\TrafficX\<aircraft>". It will also create a new entry in the relevant aircraft.cfg file for you.  It will place your new livery in to the folder that it created for that livery.  (Note that it creates very "generic" folder names and aircraft.cfg entries ... so, for clarity, you should probably manually edit the folder name that it creates, and also manually modify the aircraft.cfg entries - and do that BEFORE you import your new livery in to the Traffic X Control Centre.)  Working example: If you are working on the A320, you will find the newly created texture folder in "C:\...\Flight Simulator X\SimObjects\TrafficX\JFAI_A320" and you will see the aircraft.cfg file in that folder is the one which it edited and added a new entry.

2)  If you use the Traffic X Repaint Tool and choose to EDIT SELECTED LIVERY TEXTURE, then it will work directly with that specific Traffic X livery in the relevant Traffic X texture folder under "C:\...\Flight Simulator X\SimObjects\TrafficX\<aircraft>".  In this case, it will save your livery changes straight in to that folder, OVERWRITING what was there. Because this is an existing texture, there's no need for it to edit the aircraft.cfg file for you.

3) You may choose to use an external program such as "DXTBmp". DXTBmp has a SAVE AS option so you can save your repaint to any folder you choose.  Then you would go from there, doing your own manual edits to the aircraft.cfg file etc.

The Beara Air is not real, its where I come from in Ireland

Ahh.  Not real.  Fair enough.

The parking code I'll change too.

Use that Wiki page that I referred to in my last post, and choose a parking code that is relevant to the airports that your plane will fly to.  This way, with the correct, relevant, parking code assigned to it, your (new livery) plane will park in the parking spots that YOU want it to park in.

Handy tip ... it is possible to assign MORE THAN ONE parking code, by separating them with commas.  Like this:  atc_parking_codes=IRE,IND,IRL,XMR

Note that the weight of the second and third codes is lower than the first code when FSX decides the parking spot assignment for the aircraft. After four codes it appears that a fifth code does not have enough weight to be a deciding factor.

What you have explained to me is now becoming more clear.

Thumbs%20Up
don View Drop Down
Check-In Staff
Check-In Staff

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote don Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Nov 2012 at 10:18am
Ok,this is how I did my repaint.
I click Add a new Livery.
I am using Eagle Air and save it to my desktop. I use PhotoShop for my repaint.
When finished I save it back into my desktop.
This is where I went wrong I think.
Do I need to save it back in Repaint which,I did but over wrote the Eagle Air texture.
or straight the new folder in Simobject in the newly created folder?
My airport is one I made.
I have put in the new parking code of SMA which,I think is not used,
using your suggestions about airport codes. Regards Don.
freddy View Drop Down
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote freddy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Nov 2012 at 11:43am

Do I need to save it back in Repaint which,I did but over wrote the Eagle Air texture.

How did you save it back in Repaint?  Did you click the EDIT SELECTED TEXTURE button?  If you did click the EDIT SELECTED TEXTURE button, then, yes, that has overwritten the existing Eagle Air texture.

And, no, this is not what you should have done.

... or straight the new folder in Simobject in the newly created folder?

Yes, this is what you should have done.

From my earlier post you would see that clicking the ADD NEW LIVERY button would have created a brand new texture folder for you under "C:\...\Flight Simulator X\SimObjects\TrafficX\JFAI_A320". And, it would have also created a new entry in the A320 aircraft.cfg file for you.  After saving your repaint (on the desktop), you should have then MOVED that in to the newly created texture folder in "C:\...\Flight Simulator X\SimObjects\TrafficX\JFAI_A320".  The folder would have been "texture.138" (being the next available number from the aircraft.cfg file sequence).

At this point, you can accept things as they are and then go to the Traffic X Control Centre and do an IMPORT to pull your new livery repaint in to Traffic X so you can create flight plan schedules for it.  HOWEVER, you will remember also from my earlier post that the Repaint Tool creates very "generic" folder names and aircraft.cfg entries ... so, for clarity, you should probably manually edit the folder name that it created from "texture.138" to "texture.BEARA", and then also manually modify the aircraft.cfg entries it created - and you would do that BEFORE you import the new livery in to the Traffic X Control Centre.

I am willing to bet that, unless you deleted it, the folder created by the Repaint Tool is still there.  As for the aircraft.cfg entries, it appears to me that those are the ones that you already edited.  So, keep those edited aircraft.cfg entries, place your repaint in to the correct folder (the one created by the Repaint Tool), rename that folder as per my suggestions ("texture.BEARA"), check the aircraft.cfg entries again to ensure that "texture=" line is set to "texture=BEARA" (to match that folder name), check the other aircraft.cfg entries as appropriate (again, see my earlier post), and then do an IMPORT in the Traffic X Control Centre.

After the percentage bar goes across and the import is done, click the APPLY AND EXIT button (you probably don't need to do this, but I always do, just in case). Close Traffic X. Re-run Traffic X. Now your updated plane/livery should be available in Traffic X for you to set add/edit schedules for it. Add/edit schedules for it in the FLIGHT PLANS screen. And then, finally, after adding/editing new schedules, remember to recompile the AI traffic database. See this thread here for instructions on how to do that: How do I re-compile the traffic database?

After all of the above, run FSX ... your plane should appear.

-------------------------

NOTE: After you've done all of this, your new texture will appear in the Repaint Tool. And, if you wish to do further edits or changes to it, then you would use the EDIT SELECTED TEXTURE button.

If your Eagle Air texture has been overwritten, and you want to replace it, then send me a PM (Private Message) with your email address, and I'll send it to you.

My airport is one I made. I have put in the new parking code of SMA which,I think is not used, using your suggestions about airport codes.

Uhuh.  If your airport has the parking code SMA assigned to one or more parking spots, and if your aircraft.cfg file has the parking code SMA in it for this plane ... AND, if the parking spots are large enough to accommodate this type of aircraft (A320) ... then your plane should park in those spots.

Soaranden View Drop Down
P1
P1

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Soaranden Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Nov 2012 at 3:45pm
Originally posted by freddy freddy wrote:

If your airport has the parking code SMA assigned to one or more parking spots, and if your aircraft.cfg file has the parking code SMA in it for this plane ... AND, if the parking spots are large enough to accommodate this type of aircraft (A320) ... then your plane should park in those spots.

Hi, don,

As usual, freddy provides excellent advice, but just remember that the above quote holds true only if other aircraft have not already filled all of the parking spaces that have been assigned to a particular airline.

FSX uses all sorts of criteria when assigning parking spaces. For example, if two parking spaces are vacant, if both spaces are coded for a particular airline, and if both spaces are of sufficient size for the airliner that is seeking a parking spot, then FSX looks to see if the spaces differ in size. If both spaces are large enough for the airliner but differ in size, then FSX will give preference to the smaller of the parking spaces. Likewise, with two or more identically coded parking spaces (and in addition to checking the parking spaces for size differences) FSX gives weight to the parking space that is nearest to the point at which the arriving airliner departed the runway.

Dan
don View Drop Down
Check-In Staff
Check-In Staff

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote don Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Nov 2012 at 7:57am
I have tried everything that you suggested but it's not happening.
I can see the folder is created and the new aircraft texture etc but it's not showing in the FSX aircraft box.

Thank you for your help.
freddy View Drop Down
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote freddy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Nov 2012 at 10:51pm
Everything I've discussed above is about getting your repainted AI plane to appear in the skies in FSX.  You paint it, import it in to Traffic X, create flight plan schedules for it, compile the AI database, and then you see it flying in the FSX skies.

However, I think you may be talking about something different ... I think you are talking about you yourself being able to choose it and fly it ... within FSX ... from this screen shown here:

If that is what you are taking about, then you still need to do everything mentioned up until now ... with perhaps the exception that you don't need to create flight plan schedules for it.  You just need to paint it and import it in to Traffic X using all of the steps up to that point (including editing the aircraft.cfg file, then importing it in to the Traffic X Control Centre, etc).

OK, based on all the posts up to now, you've already done all of that.

So ...

To make your repainted plane appear on the FSX aircraft selection screen, go in to the Traffic X Control Centre, and click on the HANGAR button.  Because you have edited the aircraft.cfg file and imported the new repaint in to Traffic X, you should see the plane in the list on the left hand side.  Simply select it (click on it) and then click on the RIGHT facing arrow to move it from the left column to the right column.  Click APPLY AND EXIT.  Close Traffic X.  Run FSX.  Now you should see your repainted plane in the FSX aircraft selection screen. 

don View Drop Down
Check-In Staff
Check-In Staff

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote don Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Nov 2012 at 2:15pm
Hi Freddy, my main quest was to install some new repaints. It hasn't worked and I can see why. After that Traffic X stopped working so I had to do a reinstall. None of the aircraft are showing. I read somewhere about old BGL files that cause new ones from working. I'm not really sure, where or what to look for.  Do I need to uninstall Traffic X again? Regards Don.
freddy View Drop Down
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote freddy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Nov 2012 at 12:27pm
Without knowing what is specifically causing your problem, sorry, I wouldn't know if you need to uninstall Traffic X again.  If it is not working, then it probably wouldn't hurt to do that, followed by a reinstall.

However, before doing that, have a good look here at the Traffic X FAQ.  It may help to solve your problem ...

don View Drop Down
Check-In Staff
Check-In Staff

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote don Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Nov 2012 at 11:43am
Hi Freddy, I had to reinstall Traffic. It stopped working completely. The only aircraft showing up in FSX are A318 and Spotty, Towers etc. I recompiled a few times but no change. I can't understand why just the A318 and nothing else!! Any ideas???  
freddy View Drop Down
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote freddy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Nov 2012 at 1:07am
Yes it is odd that only the A318 is showing but nothing else.  Check the FSX.cfg file to make sure it has the Traffic X path(s) in it.  Traffic X adds certain file paths to the FSX.cfg that need to be there in order for FSX to locate the Traffic X aircraft.  The support FAQ that I mentioned in my previous post has details about this and a tool that you can download to correct it if it is incorrect.

Failing that, did you do a complete uninstallation first?  Or just install over the top of the existing installation?  A full uninstallation would be the way to go ... checking that everything is indeed removed (all files, folders, the TrafficX.bgl, etc) ... before finally reinstalling again.

Other than these suggestions, sorry, I have no other ideas for you.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic