This forum is in read-only mode for archive purposes, please use our new forum at https://community.justflight.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Just Flight Products > Traffic X / Traffic / Traffic 2005
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

New Traffic-X user with a few basic questions

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Ground Crew
Ground Crew

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote quick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: New Traffic-X user with a few basic questions
    Posted: 28 Sep 2012 at 1:49am
Hi folks,

I installed Traffic-X, read the manuals, forum messages and FAQ's and am not sure about a couple of things. If anyone can enlighten me it would be most appreciated. Here are my questions:

1) Do I need to install the FSX SDK in order to use all the features of Traffic-X? That is, to compile flight plans etc. I do not have the SDK installed but will do so if need be.

2) In the Traffic Control Center, the TRAFFIC MOVEMENTS BUTTON, at the bottom are two options/buttons. 1- Compile Traffic Tools Flight Plans and 2- Compile Traffic-X flight plans. Which one of these button should be clicked on when making/compiling new flight plan within Traffic-X? I think the Traffic Tools button is for the SDK Kit.

Some after thoughts by a new user:

1) In the forum and faq are questions about no traffic or very little traffic as certain airports. Installing SP1 is suggested to help with this. I did install SP1 however I still don't see much or none at some of the airports I tried. I have the two traffic sliders in FSX to CUSTOM and at 100%. Two examples are (Firstly) KOSC(the old wurtsmith AFB in MI thats now a commercial airport). I don't see any traffic at all except on ocassion some an FSX internal AI aircraft. From the Tower View, on the radar screen I can see blips of traffic but don't seem to be in the area of KSOC, in flight, departing or landing. I thought SP1 would correct the laick of departing and landing aircraft but then there is a post in the forum that states you might have to make your own flight plans in airports where this happens. (Secondly) at KDTW, Detroit Metro airport...a big one.. I can observe from the Tower View lots of aircraft departing but hardly any arriving. (Lastly) All the features/modules of Traffic-X seem to be working just fine in my case, as opposed to some users who have had parts of it not working.

Thanks for reading. Sorry this post is kind of long.

Happy Landings,

Quick

freddy View Drop Down
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote freddy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Sep 2012 at 8:33am
Answers:

1) No, there is no need to install the FSX SDK.  All Traffic X features work without you needing to install the SDK.

2) The Traffic Tools button is for OLDER FORMAT traffic files.  Earlier versions of Flight Simulator used this format.  FSX changed to a new format.  You may have some of these older format AI files if you used earlier versions of Just Flight's traffic program ("Traffic 2005") or if you have or used other AI products.  Page 29 of the Traffic X manual says "The Traffic Control Centre also offers a method to compile "old style" traffic files that are in the TrafficTools (TTools) format. ... The Compiler will try to compile these files in to the new Traffic Database file format.  However, these flights will NOT be able to be taken over in to the Traffic Control Centre for further editing.  This is a "compile only" option."

From that, you can quickly work out that the second button is for compiling AI files in the newer FSX format and that files in this format CAN be edited with the Traffic Control Centre.

------------

Regarding your observations ... be aware that not every single airport has been populated by Traffic X.  To do that would be a HUGE effort.  So there are some airports that may only have a handful of planes, and some airports that may have none at all.  However, generally, lots and lots of airports should have traffic.  Especially the larger commercial airports such as Seattle, JFK, Denver, Chicago, Washington etc.  And of course many many airports in other parts of the world such as Heathrow, Gatwick, Manchester, Charles de Gaulle, Frankfurt, Amsterdam, Munich, Sydney, Melbourne, Hong Kong, Dubai, Singapore ... etc etc etc ... the list is almost endless.  You should see LOTS of planes at these and other commercial airports.

With Traffic X you should NOT see any of the default FSX AI such as Orbit Airlines and World Travel.  The Traffic X install should hide those for you.  You should only see liveries from actual airlines of the world.  Something worth noting is that "American Airlines" has a copyright on the use of its name and logo and so, with Traffic X, you will see "Merican Airlines" instead of "American Airlines".
quick View Drop Down
Ground Crew
Ground Crew

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote quick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Sep 2012 at 5:54pm
Thanks Freddy for the valuable information. Much appreciated.

....quick
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic